New Bike

Guest LaverdaSFC1000

Guest LaverdaSFC1000

I have sold my KTM SMT and am about to buy a new NC750 DCT and would like to ask a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to be concerned about any recurring warranty problems with the bike? (the reason I am asking is that I always service my bikes myself, I have never had a bike serviced at a dealers, and I can buy a parallel import cheaper than buying from an official Honda dealer).  

2. Are there any jobs that require a trip to the dealer to carry them out? (reading error codes etc).   

Any other advise would be appreciated.

Regards

Think the clocks need updating on some models and a starter relay changing , had mine over a year now and 15k all good except a duff rear wheel bearing changed under warranty

my DCT  at 10k miles is having a new clock -it just started "acting up".It's taken Colywn 3 months to get it which i think is pretty poor.

I actually had the cash in my hand to buy an SMT ( after 11 years with a 950 Adventure) but couldn't make myself do it -why? Because of the poor jerky fuel injection .Yes I know mapping sorts it but my wife was incredulous -"you are going to spend thousands on a bike with an inherent fault -knowing you have to spend a few hundred more sorting that out? For once she made sense!

The electronics of the DCT seem to have occasion glitches -with many riders saying they have done an ECU reset ,covered by the forum- and quiet a few have mentioned little niggles like dry bearings, leaking tyre walls but for a mass produced "cooking" bike at a bargain price (compared to KTMs) they are pretty fault free.

bazza

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Wayne welcome to the forum---have a really good look around ---and you will see the DCT version as  very few problems-- but that the case with all make and models of bikes---you need to look at the bigger picture--eg fuel economy---frunk etc  :baby:

Guest LaverdaSFC1000

Thank you for the input.

The KTM was a good bike and, luckily, I did not have any throttle problems.

They are a light flywheel V twin and they do need more thought/input when you are riding them.

The NC seems to be pretty much as I thought and is a reliable bike with a few, basic, niggles.

I am going to go with the parallel import for the lower price and as I keep my bikes for at least a few years then the slightly lower resale, for a parallel, will not bother me.

As I will not be using dealers I just need two years of, hopefully, trouble free miles to be in the same position as if I had purchased from an official dealer.

Of all of the bikes I have owned I have never had a engine fail or a major problem.

I will change the oil to full synthetic after 1000 miles and then service it every 12,000 miles, possibly 16,000, with a valve check at 24,000.   

On my bikes I have always extended the oil changes and valve checks to at least +50% on the manufacturers recommendations as these always seem to be way too low. 

My last car had oil change intervals of 32,000 and did 188,000 before I sold it and was still as good as new. My present car has 22.000 mile oil changes and only holds 3.2 litres of oil.

To change the oil at 8,000, when using full synthetic, on a 50bhp low revving twin seems too low as the oil is good for far longer than that.

Regular use of the bike is the best thing you can do for it. 

Hi and welcome to the forum......I cannot really add any more to what others have already said, they are nice bikes with the odd niggle from time to time....

Ride safe

Guest Stephen S

Welcome, Wayne. There are a few of us around Plymouth and the South Hams.

I had an old boy on my bus this morning, telling me that Cornish folk have blood on their hands after all the wrecking they got up to. But he did seem to be in the early stages of dementia, because he told me that "they don't grow food in Cornwall because the soil was scraped off in the ice age". Driving the local bus is a trip into a surreal landscape.

I did hear that the oil changes on London busses were few and far between, or perhaps it was the filters, and they were good for million miles.

Guest EasyTiger

I've never had any issues with the bike. The most common resets I've read about are after fitting different air filters or exhausts.

The DCT does have a small additional oil filter: it's easy to change at the same time as the main one.

Chuck Norris is the only man who can change faster than a DCT, which is why his bike has six reverse gears.

Guest LaverdaSFC1000

I have met a few strange people on buses, but I do seem to be one of those people that attract them.  

I think that the new bike will be a little more relaxing than the KTM.

The lanes here are quite narrow for about 20 miles until you get to a road that allows you to use the KTM in a way that it was made for.

I may well miss the power, handling and braking on the KTM, plus the overall good quality of the bike, but it is not a bike for this part of the country.

I have had the KTM for over three years and would recommend one to anyone.

I will be having a test ride in the next few weeks and, if I like it, I will place the order.

I have met a few strange people on buses, but I do seem to be one of those people that attract them.  

I think that the new bike will be a little more relaxing than the KTM.

The lanes here are quite narrow for about 20 miles until you get to a road that allows you to use the KTM in a way that it was made for.

I may well miss the power, handling and braking on the KTM, plus the overall good quality of the bike, but it is not a bike for this part of the country.

I have had the KTM for over three years and would recommend one to anyone.

I will be having a test ride in the next few weeks and, if I like it, I will place the order.

the biggest problem with the Nc is the budget forks and shock -after the WP on the KTM- but i am 18 stone so it amplifies it!