NC750s only doing 57 mpg?

Guest Quektis

Guest Quektis

Hi everyone, I recently bought a Honda NC750s. I'm loving the bike so far but the screen is telling me that at the moment I'm only achieving 57 mpg on average. This seems to be quite low. I''ve only been riding it around town (Bristol) but that still seems to be pretty low, I've breaking it in slowly too, definitely not hammering it. Is this normal? One of the main reasons I bought the bike was because of its amazing fuel efficiency. 

Another thing I noticed is that when I put the bike in neutral the engine makes a continuous weird sound until I put it back into first, not sure if it's meant to do that or not.

Cheers,

Im on 81.9 mpg avg over  14700 miles.

No strange sounds from mine that I have noticed.

Mo.

Guest dentonlad

It's not unusual (as Tom Jones said.....) for the mpg to drop when your riding is mostly stop start, round town commuting. I think the London commute guys will back me up on that. My low of 63 mpg was during a days riding in central London. 

Mpg also goes up when the bike has a few more miles on it. 

As to 'weird' noises. If you don't think it's right either take it back to where you bought it from or get someone else to have a listen. 

Guest bonekicker

Joe what may seem like a weird noise to you-can be normal to someone else--just ride the bike--you will not break it at all--taking it too slow and careful can be just as bad a trashing the living daylights out of it--stop worrying --put some ear plugs in--ask the service mechanic--when the service is due -- Just enjoy it--the limiter will not let you break the engine.

Ride Safe and Enjoy Yourself  :thumbsup:

Rocker66

Personally I would get it checked out as soon as possible as if it is something serious you don't want to make it worse (yes you could damage the engine) and if as is much more likely it is nothing to worry about then you will have peace of mind and will be able to enjoy your bike much more not having to worry about the noise

• Like 2
fred_jb

I find the top end of the engine a bit busy sounding - I've likened it to a coffee grinder type of noise, but mine doesn't change its sound when put into neutral, though mine is a DCT.

However, I wouldn't think that is normal even for a manual, and could indicate that it needs looking at.   Is yours the manual or the DCT version?  If DCT, I believe there is a clutch self-calibration routine that can be run which might help - the dealer should be able to do this.

Fred

Grumpy old man

Hi

The noise does it go away when you pull the clutch in? Mine does the same. I seem to remember all my bikes did this i just put it down to the free running gears but if you have it checked let us know

Lloyd

Ps-mine does 79-82 mpg 750x

Edited by Grumpy old man
fred_jb

Hi

The noise does it go away when you pull the clutch in? Mine does the same. I seem to remember all my bikes did this i just put it down to the free running gears but if you have it checked let us know

Lloyd

Ps-mine does 79-82 mpg 750x

Good thought - I suppose with the manual the clutch release might rattle a bit when unloaded.

Fred

Could just be the gearbox internals chattering in neutral, not at all uncommon, depends what you are used to. When staionary and you pull the clutch and put it in gear (or select a DCT gear) the gearbox internals all come to a stop so no more whirring or chattering noises.

I agree with Fred, the top end can sound a bit busy especially when hot, though I'm sure my Integra sounds better now (12k miles) than it did when I got it (2k).

As for the break-in, well that's a whole other topic, but now you've done some running around town (quite a good initial phase), you NEED to get out on the open road and start to use it a bit harder. It's a progressive thing. Progressively increase the engine speeds and throttle openings you use over the first 500mls or so. As said, DON'T baby it for too long, it can do more harm than good. It really does need more speed and load applying to get it to break-in fully (trust me, I've been in engine design/development for 35yrs). By 300mls you should be giving it full throttle briefly, and as the miles increase let it rev more, don't be afraid it will benefit it in the long run, just be progressive.

Don't let it warm up on the stand. Start it, let it settle for perhaps 30sec or so, then ride off gently. Once nicely warm (a few miles) start to use it harder.

Once fully run-in and on an open road run you should be seeing numbers in the 70-80mpg range. What you get around town will depend on a lot of factors, traffic, start/stop, length of run etc.

• Like 1
Guest Quektis

Wow, thanks for the prompt replies everyone. I have the manual version (non DCT), when I put it on neutral it starts rattling, every other gear sounds absolutely fine. I'm not exactly babying the bike, just not redlining it for the first few hundred miles or so. I guess, it must be because I'm riding it in town, still seems pretty low to me though even for town use, I've been taking it on longer 60 mph roads around town but it still doesn't seem to have made any difference. I might have to get fowlers to have a look at it just to make sure. 

Anyone else getting around 57 mpg around town?

Dunnster

Hi Joe, my 700x averages 77mpg. Sometimes more, sometimes less, riding like I stole it, riding it conservatively, doesn't seem to affect it too much. Regarding the noise, "rattles in neutral", there is a very quiet "noise" when I pull in the clutch lever, but nothing excessive. Just the clutch plates noise engaging and disengaging as I would expect.

As others have said, if its troubling you, get it checked, to ease your mind.

fred_jb

Wow, thanks for the prompt replies everyone. I have the manual version (non DCT), when I put it on neutral it starts rattling, every other gear sounds absolutely fine. I'm not exactly babying the bike, just not redlining it for the first few hundred miles or so. I guess, it must be because I'm riding it in town, still seems pretty low to me though even for town use, I've been taking it on longer 60 mph roads around town but it still doesn't seem to have made any difference. I might have to get fowlers to have a look at it just to make sure. 

Anyone else getting around 57 mpg around town?

I'm averaging just under 64 mpg over my whole ownership, with a low of 50 and a high of 77, though I have done a lot of fast motorway and autoroute miles, and only ever use S mode.  Your 57 mpg around town and with an engine which is probably still a bit tight doesn't sound too bad to me.

As advised by embee, it would be a good idea to do some longer trips at higher speeds varying the load and engine speed.   I avoided D mode when I was running in - just my personal opinion, but I don't think it is good when running in to let the engine lug in too low a gear so with a manual I would avoid short shifting too much while running in.

Fred

Check for sticky brake pistons . Like others have posted riding it hard seems to have little effect . I only get down into the 50s in long fast rides against the wind . Panniers knock about 5mpg off too . I guess Michelin man style clothing and elbows out would be similar . Fast riding from Bradford to sw Scotland with a gale behind me I got near 100mpg

Have you reset the trip meter A setting?

This will allow you to see what mileage YOU are getting. If not you are getting a long term average that is very very hard to alter

fred_jb

Have you reset the trip meter A setting?

This will allow you to see what mileage YOU are getting. If not you are getting a long term average that is very very hard to alter

Good point, and for more accuracy do it manually rather than going by the bike readout.   Note your odometer reading next time you fill up.  Do that again the next time and also note the number of litres needed to fill up to the same level - I think most people fill it just over the baffle plate inside the tank while on the centre stand.  Take the difference in odometer readings and the number of litres and you can work out the mpg - or use a web site to do it - there are loads, but for example:

https://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

For example the mileage between my last two fill-ups was 155 miles and the amount of fuel was 11.28 L, and this works out to 62.47 mpg.

I make a note of these figures every time I fill up, and I have a spreadsheet set up to work out the numbers, and I then also put the figures into the Fuelly web site.  (And yes I know how sad that is!)

Fred

Edited by fred_jb

When i had the 700 Integra it dropped to high 50's for a week or so, i had a good look around the bike and found the chain had 4 or five tight links.

New chain and back up to 70MPG again.

Lyn.

Guest Quektis

Many thanks for all the advice, you guys are really helpful. I've been meaning to reset the trip A meter setting to see if this makes a difference but not sure how to as Fowlers forgot to give me the owner's manual. I'll be getting one soon though. I'll check the chain and brake pistons too when I get home this weekend.

Callisidrin

When I got mine the first tank full didn't get me many miles either. After that, my average went up, quite a few of those miles were out of town, but most of my travelling will end up being in London, so I expect the average to drop a bit. Strange that also when I pick up the bike from it's first service that tank didn't last as many miles either. The only reason I can think of is Honda running the engine in the workshop getting it up to temperature to check everything and doing all their tests chews up some of my tankful, reducing my mpg for that tank.

As for the noises, I'd get them to take a look at it, better to be safe than sorry.

dazznutts

Hi everyone, I recently bought a Honda NC750s. I'm loving the bike so far but the screen is telling me that at the moment I'm only achieving 57 mpg on average. This seems to be quite low. I''ve only been riding it around town (Bristol) but that still seems to be pretty low, I've breaking it in slowly too, definitely not hammering it. Is this normal? One of the main reasons I bought the bike was because of its amazing fuel efficiency. 

Another thing I noticed is that when I put the bike in neutral the engine makes a continuous weird sound until I put it back into first, not sure if it's meant to do that or not.

Cheers,

Joe i have a NC750s from new i was getting 75mpg now averaging 75-83 mpg depending on how i ride etc i do a 30 mile ride a day to work which 13 mile is A2/M25

I would get the bike checked out 

Rocker66

Good point, and for more accuracy do it manually rather than going by the bike readout.   Note your odometer reading next time you fill up.  Do that again the next time and also note the number of litres needed to fill up to the same level - I think most people fill it just over the baffle plate inside the tank while on the centre stand.  Take the difference in odometer readings and the number of litres and you can work out the mpg - or use a web site to do it - there are loads, but for example:

https://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

For example the mileage between my last two fill-ups was 155 miles and the amount of fuel was 11.28 L, and this works out to 62.47 mpg.

I make a note of these figures every time I fill up, and I have a spreadsheet set up to work out the numbers, and I then also put the figures into the Fuelly web site.  (And yes I know how sad that is!)

Fred

I do the reset the trip meter and enter the figures in a spread sheet thing so you are not the only sad one :) Looking forward to finding out what MPG the CB125F gets

• Like 1
Guest Quektis

just a quick update, on sunday I went out of town for a ride on the 60 mph backroads and reset the trip A setting. I was averaging 70/71 mpg so I guess it must just be because I've been riding around town, short trips from home to work. Still, I would have expected around 75 mpg out of town but hey, can't complain really. I've used it since around town again and the mpg's are dropping again.

Bristol has been declared the most congested city in England so that might also have something to do with it. 

Mikdent

I agree with Rocker66, if you don't think something is right, get it back to the dealers.

As for MPG, it gets better after a few thousand miles. So don't over analyse it for now, get it back to the dealers for a clean bill of health and peace of mind, then go and enjoy it. :)

pointer2null

Hi Quektis - I'm in Bristol as well.

If you obey the moronic 20MPH it'll make your MPG a lot worse. Also the traffic doesn't help. I average 66mpg normally, and slightly better (69) during school holidays when there is less congestion - daily commute south to north and back of about 8.5 miles each way.

A lot depends on how hard you ride - to get the high numbers you see quoted you need to drive steady on open roads.

With my NC750s I've been getting 58-62 per tank MPG when I've just been commuting too and from work and this is all city centre riding. Weekend trips so I'm away from traffic lights and queues every few hundred yards I've gotten between 75-82 MPG. These figures aren't from the dash but from tank full to empty fill ups and milage done calcs.