Which Fuel would you recommend for the NC?

MikeBike

Which Fuel would you recommend for the NC?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which Fuel would you recommend for the NC? (ignore factors like there's a shell garage round the corner)

• Regular unleaded 95 RON - cheapest you find (supermarket etc)
    • Regular unleaded 95 RON - brand (Shell etc)
    • Premium Unleaded 99 RON - cheapest you find (supermarket etc)
    • Premium Unleaded 99 RON - (e.g. Shell Vpower etc)
    • Other

MikeBike

One thing I have noticed from my Fuelly numbers is that I get better mileage in the summer months - maxed out at 83.5 last summer.  Usually get around 75-77 in the winter.  Same routes, same style of riding.  Dunno why

Colder air is more dense - so more resistance for a given speed. Maybe other factors combustion wise??

• Like 1
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• embee

• Rev Ken

• Tex

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Mark says, always a topic of debate and everyone has an opinion. Opinions are like ar$eholes, everyone has one but you don't usually want to hear it.   Here's mine.   Octane rating of itself

It’s the language of the over 70s and not for you youngsters😂

It wouldn’t be the first time we didn’t have a clue either..  

embee

It starts from a warmer temperature so less heat energy required to bring the 80 odd kg of powertrain up to temp, plus combustion thermal efficiency improves with higher air temp (but does reduce density so potential max power). The more cold starts and short journeys you do the more noticeable the seasonal effect.

Gerrymac

All the supermarket fuel come from the same fuel suppliers-- I tried higher octane and found no difference at all --But if you get some sort of weird pleasure out of paying more--who am I to disagree ??  :baby:

well said Michael.
Andy m

I only have the net, other rumour mills and feel to base this on, but modern fuel seems to be very poor when stored. I imagine the ethanol content is hydroscopic?

If this is the case, ASDAS cheapest is also freshest because that's what everyone buys most of.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
Spindizzy

I only put in EN228 spec fuel....which is any filling station in the UK. Hey call me fussy but that's just me.

• Like 1
embee

I only have the net, other rumour mills and feel to base this on, but modern fuel seems to be very poor when stored. I imagine the ethanol content is hydroscopic?

If this is the case, ASDAS cheapest is also freshest because that's what everyone buys most of.

Andy

Also be aware that fuel supplied to the retailers varies throughout the year, summer fuel, winter fuel, and usually a transition. Winter grade is more volatile, as measured by Reid Vapour Pressure RVP, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reid_vapor_pressure , to aid cold starting and running, and summer fuel is less volatile to avoid hot fuel handling issues, vapour locking etc, also reducing the quantity of vapour which needs to be handled by the evaporative loss system ("carbon can") .

This can be a real issue if you get a can of petrol and keep it from summer to winter or vice versa, and expect your lawn mower to start on it.

Problems can arise if the wrong grade fuel is supplied at the changeover period, if you get a very warm spell unexpectedly after a cold winter for example. One manufacturer I worked for had a big problem one year in Europe when a load of winter fuel was shifted from the eastern block to the west just as the weather hit 25C. Most of the cars suffered severe vapour locking and engine stalls (so did many other manufacturers to be fair).

steve916s

I usually go to Tesco which serves Esso fuel and buy their cheapest 95 unleaded.  Did once have to buy the premium stuff and noticed no difference whatever.  

One thing I have noticed from my Fuelly numbers is that I get better mileage in the summer months - maxed out at 83.5 last summer.  Usually get around 75-77 in the winter.  Same routes, same style of riding.  Dunno why

I used to get almost exactly those figures on my ER5 (twin carbs) doing exactly the same journey for several years. I put the difference down to oil viscosity.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Andy m

Winter isnt just possibly diffrent fuel, you are also carrying less speed through corners due to the risk of skidding, holding gears longer to keep the back end in tension, taking longer to achieve optimum engine temperatures and generally riding more for safety than efficiecy.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Krzysztof

From what I know NC700 doesn't need high octane fuel.

Adding ethanol rises the octane rating just to let you know so octane ≠ quality.

Australia had RON100 with 10% ethanol (according to wikipedia).

Quote from wikipedia - 

A common misconception is that power output or fuel efficiency can be improved by burning fuel of higher octane than that specified by the engine manufacturer. The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of the fuel being burnt. Fuels of different octane ratings may have similar densities, but because switching to a higher octane fuel does not add more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot develop more power.

• 1 month later...
Guest DelBoy

I recently had a chat with another NC owner who swears that he gets better MPG if he uses SHELL unleaded. The regular one (95 RON)..!!

• 1 month later...
larryblag

Thinking about it chaps, as the NC is so economical anyway I think I'll not worry too much if I end up using branded fuel sometimes, supermarket others. Convenience being the main factor.

Might avoid diesel though - if I can...

• 4 weeks later...
larryblag

Diesel

Andy m

I filled a newly bought K100 outfit with Diesel. B☆☆☆☆Y service station was rakeing it in from tourists, the Diesel pump nozzle was green.

Andy

• 1 year later...
MikeBike

For what it's worth I have heard from two garages (one MC one Car) thta they have problems with Tesco petrol

On 4/10/2016 at 21:00, DelBoy said:

As long as you do not put diesel in you will be fine  :D

On 8/10/2016 at 21:57, larryblag said:

Diesel

Did you not read my post you daft bugger :lol:

You are confusing the lad now. :blink:

Edited by DelBoy
Mr Toad
On 7/13/2016 at 06:01, larryblag said:

Thinking about it chaps, as the NC is so economical anyway I think I'll not worry too much if I end up using branded fuel sometimes, supermarket others. Convenience being the main factor.

Might avoid diesel though - if I can...

As someone who has spent years driving cars with V6 and V8 petrol engines fuel economy isn't something I think about. Anything that can get into double figures is fine with me. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always use the cheapest fuel in my cars and bikes. If I am leaving the bikes over winter, I take the fuel out and put it into the cars so the ethanol issue never arises. The garage is dry so the insides of the tanks don't rust either. I have yet to encounter any detrimental effect from fuel... not even from putting unleaded into an engine designed for leaded. Somebody said that the delivery tankers all fill up at the same place but the premium fuel carriers add more chemicals  to their load for various reasons. 

I have also never noticed any difference between engines running on low octane being made to run on high octane. I have noticed a difference on my bonnie running on the original 5 star leaded and then trying to run on 2 star because it was all I could afford back in the old days.

• Like 1

Five star leaded? Cor, that takes me back. Proper petrol that was. The modern stuff is like ‘Diet Petrol’ in comparison. :) 

• Like 1
Rocker66
33 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

National Benzole was the best for my bikes! (Regent TT was 'second best'.)

We liked using Cleveland Driscoll.

later it was Esso but that was mainly to get our tiger tails and Esso bleedoolers.😂😂

Edited by Rocker66
  • Haha 1
Rev Ken
40 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

We liked using Cleveland Driscoll.

later it was Esso but that was mainly to get our tiger tails and Esso bleedoolers.😂😂

I guess many on this forum haven't a clue what we are talking about!:ahappy:

• Haha 2