Strange 'squeeking' noise

Guest matt_bex

Guest matt_bex

Noticed today that when accelerating in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear I can hear a slight squeeking noise coming from the front of the engine. It sounds like what a fan belt would sound like on a car. It's not severe but enough to notice.

Any ideas?

It's in the dealer tomorrow getting heated grips fitted so I'll mention it to them but just seeing if anyone on here had an idea what it could be.

Also avert slight vibration on the foot pegs feeling like its coming from the engine on deceleration

, again not severe but something you know wasn't there before.

Cheers in advance

Matt

Guest matt_bex

Drive chain isn't too tight and you've oiled it plenty?

No the chain seems fine, I lube it every 200 miles and after its been out in the rain, after cleaning it every time.

This does seem to be coming from the front, coming up through the gap where the handlebars through to the forks are.

Guest Kagan

Couple of ideas,

-Have you change the engine oil recently?

-Have you recently add some new accessories? than check the fittings if all tighteened. And may be try it without them again.

-Could be drive chain, Clean and oil it again.

-Have you change the position of any thing such as wind screen?

-check the brake pads. May be some dirts or something between pad and brake disc.

-Could be a syncronization issue but I assume it is too early to adjust it again. Even it is, don't worry. It is easy to fix.

Guest matt_bex

Couple of ideas,

-Have you change the engine oil recently?

-Have you recently add some new accessories? than check the fittings if all tighteened. And may be try it without them again.

-Could be drive chain, Clean and oil it again.

-Have you change the position of any thing such as wind screen?

-check the brake pads. May be some dirts or something between pad and brake disc.

-Could be a syncronization issue but I assume it is too early to adjust it again. Even it is, don't worry. It is easy to fix.

Thanks very much for your feedback.

I've added a new screen and rear hugger and have checked all fixings and Clearence with the rear tyre. It's has it's 1st oil and filter change about 800 miles ago for its 1st service. Could this cause the engine vibration? I'm quite a conservative rider and don't thrash the bike at all so this has surprised me. I will check the brakes but this doesn't seem to happen once I've changed into 5th gear so that's what made me think engine/gearbox?

Guest gunshot72

Are you sure it's not just the fairing plastics squeaking? The tank area on my NC squeaks a little as they contact each other. Vibration in the pegs is also normal at certain revs. It is a twin after all.

Edited by gunshot72
Guest Kagan

Hard to comment without hearing the sound but,

Generally, the first oil of the engine is not same with the market oils, It is a little bit helping for abbrasion. But user has to change it at end of first 1000 km. Different oils can cause slightly different sounds but most of the case it is not noticeable.

Wind can cause different sounds on windshields, wind deflectors, even helmets it is noticeable but relevant with speed not acceleration.

Vibration is a problem of all engines. Each engine has an rpm value for max vibration. Engineer can either change that rpm or reduce the vibrations by balancers so if it is an engine sound on a certain rpm, most probably it is normal. Also some loosen parts make some noices because of vibration.

give your bike to your dealer and make him to check your problem with a short ride. He will comment better than us, I believe.

Guest gunshot72

Differing oil grades and types will not make any difference to the sound of the engine, at all. Matt, check your fork seals and try to replicate the noise by standing next to the bike and pulling up and backwards on the bars with the front brake engaged.

Guest happy

I have a squeaking noise when slow braking, but the mechanic said it is due to moisture.

Do I need to be concerned about this noise? It is just a small high pitch (irritating) noise but mechanically sound :P .

Guest gunshot72

Squeaky brakes is fine and nothing to be concerned about. Try putting some copper grease on the back of the pads (definitely not on the pad faces!).

Rev Ken

Matt - is the squeak related to engine speed or bike speed? If the former, then it won't be pads, or anything to do with your chain, or wheels. If the latter, then it won't be anything to do with your engine. However bodywork squeaks are annoying as they can be subject to engine vibration or the speed of the bike and wind.

A new screen might also mean that you are getting sounds reflected back that you haven't heard before.

Now that I've confused everybody I had better stop....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest geordiedancer71

i have the same squeak, it is a wee bit irritating, i found out it was the bottom of the 'not the tank' just press it up and down and you will hear the squeak, well thats if its the same squeak....... :geek:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest susiebe

Either my bike is behaving, you all have resident mice .........................or I've gone deaf from not wearing ear plugs!!

Guest matt_bex

Hi All.

Since initially reporting this, it seems to have squeeked its self away. Maybe it was down to the torrential weather we was having when the noise came on. But I haven't heard it now for a long time so fingers crossed.

Prob a section of fairing rubbing another.

Azer, let me know if you find anything suspicious when you investigate. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simon

Differing oil grades and types will not make any difference to the sound of the engine, at all. Matt, check your fork seals and try to replicate the noise by standing next to the bike and pulling up and backwards on the bars with the front brake engaged.

Reference the oil grade comment: In this case - i.e the cause of the noise- I agree. And also, brand new oils with differing viscosity will sound the same. But a bike engine operating on really old sludgy oil does sound less smooth than a bike with fresh stuff in. Which may be what Kagan meant?

Put some silicon grease or spray on the rubber seals.

Rev Ken

Hi All.

Since initially reporting this, it seems to have squeeked its self away. Maybe it was down to the torrential weather we was having when the noise came on. But I haven't heard it now for a long time so fingers crossed.

Prob a section of fairing rubbing another.

Azer, let me know if you find anything suspicious when you investigate. Cheers

Sounds like a bodywork 'squeak'. I had a VW Eos which is a drop head coupe with a 'hard' roof. A very complicated contraption that was fun to watch opening and closing. However it squeaked when it was dry, and leaked when it was wet - take your choice! :cry:

Edited by Rev Ken
Guest FrVentura
Sounds like a bodywork 'squeak'. I had a VW Eos which is a drop head coupe with a 'hard' roof. A very complicated contraption that was fun to watch opening and closing. However it squeaked when it was dry, and leaked when it was wet - take your choice! :cry:

lol, just like my fiat barchetta.