Gearbox noise

dannybegood

dannybegood

Wondering how much noise the DCT gearbox should make, can you hear yours change gear? Clunk at all? Mine I can hear and feel, is this right?

Just had mine a couple of weeks and as it only has 2k on a 12 plate am unsure what to expect, everything is dandy on it just hoping I'm not damaging an already pristine bike.

Yes, I can feel and hear it... It's a little bit clunky... With a different oil (same specs, other maker) it may change.

And you can't do anything to damage it. It will not allow it.

Just... Ride!!! :)

Same here! I think it's all normal. Just enjoy the ride!

I bet your relieved Danny! I sometimes wonder about the clunky nature of the manual version, but there you go...far more upsides to them than worrying about that :)

dannybegood

Thanks all, nice to know. It's not loud or obvious metal grinding, just you can hear the workings. It's nice to know normal from out of the ordinary.

My engine and gearbox stop making all manner of funny noises whenever I wear earplugs......highly recommended  :yes:

Ear plugs are the car equivalent of the radio," turn the radio up I can hear something funny ". It's an anti break down mechanism :0)

Guest sykospain

I get the typical straight-cut gear whine when I move off in first and then a slight clunk as it moves into 2nd., thereafter seamless and silent whilst auto-changing either up or down again.  Thank Goodness for the DCT facility.

As I've got used to it, I'm tending nowadays to use the paddles very often whilst in Drive,  either for engine braking on our typical Spanish downhill curving steepies, or for dropping a gear swiftly when needing to flash past a dawdler or roar up a hill.   Total rapid control - and all carried out much faster than I could fuss about manually with a clutch lever and gear pedal, as I did for decades; fantastic.

• 2 years later...

I have a new "humming" noise, from my NC700 DCT, fairly certain its from the clutch/gearbox.  At first I thought it was tyre noise from my new front tyre, but I now realise the noise stops when I'm freewheeling and she goes into neutral.  Its only audible at low speeds, until wind and exhaust drown it out - but it is new and it worries me.  Any thoughts on the cause please guys?  TIA

DaveM59

If it makes rattling, screeching, whistling or knocking noises then it might be a developing issue but a bit of a hum?

Everything mechanical makes some sort of noise and no two the same will sound identical.

Guest machinman
6 hours ago, Pete C said:

I have a new "humming" noise, from my NC700 DCT, fairly certain its from the clutch/gearbox.  At first I thought it was tyre noise from my new front tyre, but I now realise the noise stops when I'm freewheeling and she goes into neutral.  Its only audible at low speeds, until wind and exhaust drown it out - but it is new and it worries me.  Any thoughts on the cause please guys?  TIA

I dont understand how you freewheel in to neutral with DCT.

My money is on chain/ front sprocket👍

SteveThackery

My DCT had a very loud gearchange, primarily noticeable at low speeds.  It's nothing to worry about, Danny.