Sign in to follow this  
Guest CBR45

Fuzeblock

ncmf

is that a female usb lead? Where can I get one of them?

Mike5100

Strike that question Russ - I put half a dozen wires into the terminal blocks and the fuzeblock still fitted fine into the recess.

I'm going to drill a hole in the back of the not-tank cavity and run my heated gear cable inside the not-tank, then out through this hole and under the left side of the seat. I would like to protect the cable as it traverses the sides and bottom of the not tank so that it doesn't get caught on stuff I chuck in there - if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it - something like a mini version of that flexibly rubber cable trunking that you see on carpets would be ideal.

Mike

glencoeman

Can an optimate be connected to the fuzeblock to enable battery charging .

Mike5100

I guess so as long as you are using the unswitched side. I am told that the current draw (ie into the battery through the fuzeblock) is pretty minimal so all the tracks and terminals in the fuzeblocks won't be at risk.

Mike

glencoeman

Just checked the fuzeblock website. It's OK to connect to the unswitched side as long as the right fuse is used.

shiggsy

Don't know what connector you have Mike but I have a 12v marine (cig lighter) type.

I actually didn't drill the hole exactly where I wanted it but I got away with it. It does need a cover on the back though.

Its mainly for my heated jacket liner which exits out the left side of my suit but I can also plug in a 12 air pump into it , start the engine and top the tyres up if I need to. To be honest I stuggled to find a point anywhere else for it.

SP_A1317.jpg

SP_A1288.jpg

Mike5100

i'll have to take a pic of mine, but I have used the opposite approach to you. The female socket for my heated gear dangles out from the top of the front of the seat. This makes it easy to connect up my jacket and means when I'm walking around all I have on the jacket is a male phono plug. I have then modified a lead from the optimate so it also has a male phono plug on and can be simply plugged into the bike when it's in the garage.

I haven't used the fuzeblock yet cos the Heated grips are wired into a Honda harness and the heated clothing is the only thing attached to the battery. I have a Garmin satnav that I was going to wire in, but the thing is so useless that in the UK I have given up on it.

Mike

jdearauj

Finally purchased my Fuzeblock FZ-1 and will be installing it this weekend hopefully. I’m no sparky, so thought I rather make sure before I go playing with electrical wiring. To confirm as per posts above, the required black wire on the 5w running light or head light is +12vdc and is under the control panel? Do I have to go removing body parts or is it a easy find?

I have a pair LED front lights which I will be setting up on my crash bar. They each come with blue & red wires for powering. My question is do I connect the two pairs of wires up together and then into a positive & negative slot on the fuzeblock OR are they connected separately to a slot per LED light?

Have not decided yet where I will be fixing the Fuzeblock to, but it seems in the not-tank in place of the tool set is the best option.

Any other tips or tricks?

jdearauj

Anybody got any advice for my questions in the post above?

jdearauj

Is there a easy way to access the running lights under the control panel? I can barely get my hands in to feel the back of the light enclosure. 

Whiteyez

There is no easy way if you can't put your hand in there, next thing you can do is to remove the whole headlight, not an easy job i think.

jdearauj

There is no easy way if you can't put your hand in there, next thing you can do is to remove the whole headlight, not an easy job i think.

Yea, not wanting to remove the entire headlight. I assume it was just a simple twist and turn like most lights. I will have to get my phone camera in to take a few images and work it out. Thanks

Guest Monkeyuk

Just fitted my fuse block installed heated grips and its so easy now to put other stuff on iv put a usb charging point and a powerlet connector its just so simple now! 

jdearauj
Just fitted my fuse block installed heated grips and its so easy now to put other stuff on iv put a usb charging point and a powerlet connector its just so simple now! 

Can you confirm where you sourced the black wire as per my posts above? Where have you put your fuzeblock once installed?

jdearauj

Finally a nice clear morning in London  so i will be attempting the Fuzeblock install. Have read using the rear tail light wire is allot easier than the running light under the control panel. So will have to see which i find the easiest.

Guest Lockon2

I used the wire to the rear light as nice and easy to get at, just undid the panel under the back seat to access the wires. My FuzeBlock sits next to the air filter out of the way and have fitted GPS, USB, heated vest, heated gloves, heated grips and acc socket - just to say I do not run all these at the same time.

Be safe

jdearauj
I used the wire to the rear light as nice and easy to get at, just undid the panel under the back seat to access the wires. My FuzeBlock sits next to the air filter out of the way and have fitted GPS, USB, heated vest, heated gloves, heated grips and acc socket - just to say I do not run all these at the same time.

Be safe

I have finally got my fuzeblock installed which i did today and was easier than expected. I also used the pink/blue wire from the rear tail light and have the fuzeblock in the not tank as it give me easy access. 

Thanks for everybody's help and advice.

Guest Garrystr

I am throwing one together from bits, will cost around £10, thought £60 was a bit much for what it is.

I will post pictures and stuff once I get around to it, probably take a couple of weeks for the parts to arrive.  :geek:

PNE

Thought I would post my Fuzeblock install with options that no one else seems to have opted for.

Lockon2 above says he installed his next to the air filter but owning the NCS I could not find any room in that location maybe there is more room inside the faring of the NCX.

I was going to go for the option of installing in the not fuel tank like gunshot72 but found it a bit tight considering the sockets I wanted to use and place in the same area.

So with a lot of head scratching and every panel off the bike strewn around my bike shed I decided to install the Fuzeblock inside the tail (under the pillion fuel tank seat). This seemed a good location due to the fact that buying the Fuzeblock in the first place was to fit a power point for my Gerbing heated gloves. The wire for the gloves is stored under the pillion seat (when not in use) and when using just pops out from under the seat.

The first three pictures show the Fuzeblock with a fabricated bracket to fit to the frame under the pillion seat using the holes and bolts for the seat hinge mechanism (bolts are plenty long enough). 

6n74wyvxlow443o6g.jpg

zzzx58wf0y0wnq66g.jpg

7q56m43dk4sek4x6g.jpg

The next image is of the wiring loom I made. I opted to run 5 wires (the thickest red wire for the Fuzeblocks main power of which is fused before it connects to the battery) from the tail of the bike to the battery compartment. I have two spare wires for future if needs be. Please note that the wiring loom does not contain any ground negative wires all these connections are made to the frame at the rear of the bike. 

1dubj1lb7gvvzgn6g.jpg

The next image shows the wiring loom exiting at the back of the battery compartment.

h91xyg0vvucb25b6g.jpg

The next two images are of the Fuzeblock fitted in position at the rear of the bike (one with the hinge for the pillion seat lowered).

ln2mymm9op6v9z86g.jpg

d7gf3vv4hgbpbe46g.jpg

The next image shows the two sockets fitted to the not fuel tank compartment door, one is a din socket that BMW favour (I think they are a bit more compact and neater than the 12v cigarette socket) and the other is a double USB charging socket for charging my smartphone on long runs (or tablet when I go camping) on the go. The USB socket is configured so it is powered when the ignition is off.

5g65z5mz4ct3v8v6g.jpg

I would like to thank forum members for giving me the knowledge and inspiration, I would not of known about the Fuzeblock if it wasn’t for this forum. I fitted in the tail of the bike because I did not want to compromise me putting my helmet in the not fuel tank of which I do a lot. All in all it was a project for me that I had to put a bit of effort into, having not done anything like it before. I am glad I have done the modifications and I better know my bike for it. :D

shiggsy

You'll need to keep an eye on it installed in the tail, that area isn't watertight.

jdearauj

Agreed, the tail area gets wet on my bike when I wash the bike.

Great install and good job..

Edited by jdearauj

PNE

Yes your right but when I've not got my eyes on the road I'll monitor how its doing.

sidemp

PNE.

that is one very neat install, I really like the usb and din in the tank compartment.. super tidy and look factory..

PNE

Thank's sidemp, it's nice to get a positive reaction.

michael

I'm waiting for my HID driving lights to arrive before I tackle the tupperware and get to installing the Fuzeblock myself. Here I spent many a moment stroking my chin trying to determine the best place to install it. Up forward in the false airways beside the air box? And you've gone and shown me to look elsewhere on the motorcycle!

I first thought, "Why go to the rear and then run the wires up to the front again?"

<forehead slap>

Duh. It's easily accessible. There's room work on it.

Thanks for showing me to "look back Michael." I believe I'll be looking there myself for the install in the weekend(s) to come.