Cutting out

Guest Hants73

Guest Hants73

Good evening everyone I asked this question a couple of months back while riding along luckily at slow speed the bike seemed to misfire then cut out and refuse to restart but then restarted after 10mins. Took it to my local Honda dealer who looked at it straight away they had it for the day and reported no problems and said if it happens again to bring it back in . Well on the way home tonight it happened again no warning just cut out restarting after 5 to 10 mins now I know if I take it to the dealer they will say the same again. now I have only had this problem since I have had the starter relay changed has this happened to anyone else ? Not seen any threads about this problem many thanks for any help

I had a very similar problem with my old Fireblade.

I eventually found the fault... The main earth connection to the frame was loose.

Cleaned, tightened, sorted.

I hope it something simple like that.

motorbykcourier

Spark plugs

trisaki

Sounds like a connection fault , battery connection ?

Dave H

+ 1 for battery connection.  Cured similar problems with BMWs and Hondas I have owned.

Rev Ken

It could even be a blocked petrol tank air vent. If it only happens when you have a full tank, that would be a clue! As soon as your bike stops, undo the petrol cap and listen to hear if the tank gasps for breath.......

My two cents.

90% of issues with "engine running (or not)" are electrical, so i'll vote for the "bad ground," or bad Hall sensor (aka: crank position sensor and also many other names).

Sometimes the sensor cracks in a minute way, so when warm/hot the crack/space/ widens, and thus the 'magic smoke,' in the electrical system can't pass through.

(tongue firmly in cheek here).

Once the engine cools, 10 minutes or more, the part contracts enough to initiate contact and the mysterious, intermittent problem goes away.

Extremely frustrating for owner and mechanic/technician alike.

RussB644

Hope the fault diagnosis is not too painful ! would be interested to hear whether any of the above suggestions from the forum helped :ermm:

Guest Hants73

Many thanks for the suggestions I have the bike booked in for tomorrow for them to look at for the second time but not holding out much hope. Will check the battery in case anything loose . interesting about the sensor theory will have to get them to check as very strange it starts again after its cools down then fine again . The last time it happened it had just gone on reserve so thought it might of been that but this time filled up the day before

let's all hope the simplest answer is the correct one: intermittent loose ground wire somewhere.

Guest Hants73

Good evening well I'm hoping it's all sorted now. My bike went in this morning after a few hours no news so gave them a call as they were just giving a test ride and was told they found the fault which was apparently down to a bad connection on the fuel realy . Took them over three hours to find it as they found it hard to get it to cut out but once it did they worked they had to trace the wiring from the fuel pump back to the fuse box. And found all they had to do was touch the realy and the bike cut out and refused to start . So they took the fuse box out cleaned everything retested everything and fingers crossed no more problems but they have said if it happens again they might have to change the fuse box and maybe some of the wiring which seems a bit drastic but hopfully won't happen again. Many thanks for the suggestions on what might be causing the problem

Rocker66

Glad you got it sorted

Was going to say theres nothing worse then an intermittent fault , but their clearly is . it's great that it's sorted as at best it's a major p.i.a :0)

Glad it's been traced. As trisaki and others have said, this sort of problem is almost always a connection issue. That is why you now see fairly elaborate connectors with rubber seals.

Wherever possible, go round the bike taking connectors apart and apply a suitable dielectric grease or contact cleaner with a lubricant, Vaseline will do, to the metal contacts, this includes all the fuse blades. Simply pulling them apart and refitting is often enough to establish a clean contact, then it just needs some protection to prevent tarnishing.