Flashing engine light

Mike5100

Mike5100

Bike just back from dealer service (delivered by van).  Started it up and let it warm up while I put helmet on etc.  Came to get on bike and the little engine symbol was flashing.  Switched off and started up again - no flashing.  Went for 3 hour ride - no flashing.

Any idea what could have caused it?

Mike

Guest machinman

I had a similar experience, but prior to a service. Nothing was stored in the memory. It occurred twice and disappeared after restarting, bike ran fine, So non the wiser really. This happened over a month ago and nothing has developed.

Spindizzy

Had the same once. Just riding off and it flashed. Turned ignition off and back on fixed it.

One other occasion it stayed on after starting (no flash though), did the same to cure it. So that's twice in a years riding, neither which manifested itself in any mechanical way.

Sometimes electronics just have a 'bit of a moment'. My car did it once and even the planes I look after sometime throw a wobbler in their avionics.......turn it off an on again, its the duct tape of the electronics world.

I wouldn't worry unless it becomes a bit of a habit

Ditto...that happened to me just the once over a year ago. Stopped in town, no adverse issues, got back to the bike, fired up to see that light stay illuminated. Stopped the engine and had a look around. Nothing of note was visible so started up again and didn't see it illuminate again. Have been mindful of any rec-occurrence ever since but pre and post last service...absolutely nothing.

I tried it with the missus- er, how do you turn her on again?

• Like 2
steelhorseuk

Check that the dealer tightened the battery terminals properly after your service. 

This happened to me and it was a loose cable on the +, tightened and it never occurred again...So worth doing a quick check....

-Mark-