Will self-servicing (1st service) null the warranty?

Guest happy

Guest happy

I am wondering if I do the first service myself (because it seems to be just oil change and visual checks), will I risk voiding the warranty because I will not get the dealer stamp on my logbook? I have 2 years Honda warrranty unlimited mileage BTW.

How does it work in your area (country)?

Guest Kagan

It depends on countries as far as I know. For example as I remember in USA you don't have to. You can make your own maintenance and go to the dealer to show what you did, then they have to stamp on it.

But I am not sure for EU countries. Also None of the companies gives a warranty for consumables like, sealings, tyres, bulbs etc. So if you will have a serious problem about the product and if you can prove that problem is not relevant with the self maintenance then still your product must be covered with warranty I believe. For example lets say you made your owm maintenance and you had a problem on the LCD indicator. I believe Honda couldn't say " It is out of warranty".

You should check it with customer office (we have in Turkey) which helps to inform the customers about legal ways against part problems if you have something similar in your country.

Or I can send you Al Capone's grand child's cell number. :pirate::D

Fishmanboy

EU law states you can have your bike serviced anywhere as long as they have the correct equipment and use official parts without effecting your warranty. I'm sure Honda goes a bit further saying that it needs to be done by a garage that is VAT registered. I don't know how this fits into EU law, but you are not limited to just using Honda dealerships (thankfully)

Guest happy

I wish it was that clear and easy.

But I guess I will bring my head to the chopping board of the dealer, for the first 24 months (warranty period). Somebody please bring me the aspirin...

:pinch:

Guest happy

That case, aspirin will not be enough. :frantics:

At least you have a bike with 12000 km intervals. :D

I will do max, say 2000km or 3000km per year (summer only).

So.... :hmm:

Guest happy

Yeah, I will do that. I usually do the oil and filter myself.

Since this is a brand new bike, I reckon I can skip the brakes, brake fluids, rad flushing etc for at least 2 years.

:P

Rocker66

Are you saying that your'e not going to check your brake pads for 2 years?

Guest happy

I will check the brake pads, but since I am doing perhaps only 3000km a year, it is unlikely I need to change them.

However I take your point. Thanks.

Rocker66

I will check the brake pads, but since I am doing perhaps only 3000km a year, it is unlikely I need to change them.

However I take your point. Thanks.

Oh I see. That's around 1 months commuting miles to me or 3 weeks for Fishmanboy. Still each to their own I guess

Guest happy

Oh I see. That's around 1 months commuting miles to me or 3 weeks for Fishmanboy. Still each to their own I guess

Hi Rocker,

Actually, for how many km or miles are the brakepads good for ? (assuming normal braking and not racing mode)?

Can you advise?

Rocker66

That will depend on the individual rider and their riding skill. Obviously I donlt know about pad life on the NC as I haven't done enough miles yet but on my Deauville they lasted 8-10K miles. Mind you I would always change them early rather than late

Fishmanboy

You should also be aware that brake fluid goes 'off' over time regardless of miles/ KMs done so its always worthwhile checking it at least once during that two years to make sure all is well.

The NC is a fairly heavy bike (although doesn't feel it) and there is only one set of pads up front to I would expect they will take a bit of a pounding even if you are gentle with them, but like the rockstar said 8-10K miles sounds about right for general usage. I have no idea if the wavey petal style disks would increase wear also... maybe, but probably not.

Guest happy

You should also be aware that brake fluid goes 'off' over time regardless of miles/ KMs done so its always worthwhile checking it at least once during that two years to make sure all is well.

The NC is a fairly heavy bike (although doesn't feel it) and there is only one set of pads up front to I would expect they will take a bit of a pounding even if you are gentle with them, but like the rockstar said 8-10K miles sounds about right for general usage. I have no idea if the wavey petal style disks would increase wear also... maybe, but probably not.

That will depend on the individual rider and their riding skill. Obviously I donlt know about pad life on the NC as I haven't done enough miles yet but on my Deauville they lasted 8-10K miles. Mind you I would always change them early rather than late

Thanks guys!

I am just a lazy bum.....

;)

But this is a new bike, so I would pay more attention.

Ride on and ride safe!

Rocker66

Sue has the petal style discs on her hornet and we have noticed no real increase in pad wear

Rocker66

You can see your brake pad thickness from 10 yards away, you don't even have to bend down :getlost:

Or at my age maybe 5 yards :)

Rev Ken

Just as well you don't have to bend down.... :devil: (Look whose talking - I'm as stiff as a board having worked on my bike yesterday, cut the grass, washed the bike to-day and the car - even been on a very short pillion ride on a Goldwing with trailer - it was immaculate and had so many lights that I reckon he must have another generator fitted in the trailer...) :drool:

Maybe I should think of a Goldwing instead of an NC700S for my next bike....... well perhaps not..... :frantics::geek:

Edited by Rev Ken
Rocker66

I would love another wing (as well as the NC) but I can think of 24000 reasons why this isn't going to happen. They all start with £

• 1 month later...
Guest hairnet

what fishman boy said

as long as the items you use are from honda (oil and plugs excepted)

you can diy and the warranty stays intact

anything the dealer says contrary to this IS A LIE

Guest hairnet

I would love another wing (as well as the NC) but I can think of 24000 reasons why this isn't going to happen. They all start with £

fek

wasnt that long ago they were 16k (only)