Wheel bearings again

Ralph

Can you not get a piece of studding with a plate the correct size of the rim of the bearing surface to pull up against, with nuts on the ends and tighten it up pulling the bearings into the housing , pass the stud through the middle of the wheel and tighten against it

I quite agree. I would rather draw a bearing into place than knock it in.

DaveM59

Bash the old one out as it's knackered anyway but take care fitting the new ones or you will add lots of miles of wear before it's even turned a revolution!

If you must tap it in, freeze it first to shrink it then after fitting let it warm up slowly before use.

• Like 3
Tonyj

Have always stuck mine in the freezer before fitting and brought new tyres in doors before fitting aswell

My experience with a lot of failed bearing is the sills letting water in

Edited by Tonyj
  • Like 1

I've just had my rear wheel out to get the tyre changed. Bearings were NSK and felt fine. Only 3100 miles on the bike though.

Colin 

• 2 years later...

just ordered my second set rear wheel bearings at 70000 miles , this time they are just worn with a little play. ,previous set had water penetration . I am still on original carrier bearing .  Its a lovely, easy bike to work on.

White Skark

I changed my Goldwing Front Bearings last year at 68,000 miles, not because they needed changing, it was because I needed the front wheel repowder coated, so it was new bearings, is it that thing they call economy, which I am told why synthetic oil is used now.

• 4 years later...

It is possible that there is an issue with the design of the rear wheel bearings on the NC750X. However, it is also possible that the bearings are simply not being properly installed or lubricated.

Here are some things that could be causing the play in the rear wheel bearings(https://en.tradebearings.com/clist_182.html):

Defective bearings: The bearings themselves could be defective. This is a possibility, but it is less likely than the other causes.
Improper installation: The bearings could have been improperly installed. This could happen if the bearings were not seated correctly or if they were not lubricated properly.
Lack of lubrication: The bearings could be lacking lubrication. This can cause the bearings to wear prematurely and develop play.
Contamination: The bearings could be contaminated with dirt or debris. This can also cause the bearings to wear prematurely and develop play.

If the dealer is replacing the bearings under warranty, then it is likely that they believe the bearings are defective. However, it is also possible that they are simply replacing the bearings to avoid any further problems. You can check more bearings at https://www.tradebearings.com/

The other thing with the bearings on these bikes is the correct installation of the spacer that fits between them.

Steve Case

I'd fit SKF, had a few too many dry NSK sealed bearings.

• 2 weeks later...
Steve Case

And another seized NSK! Stops being funny after a while.