Running in period (500km), first service (1000km)

Guest happy

Guest happy

Hi all

I have a question.

The manual says first 500km is the running in period, while the oil will be changed at 1000km.

Between 500-1000km, can one run the bike "normally", assuming the running-in (breaking in) is done?

I know that there will be lots of shimmings in the oil, but can one really open the throttle full after 500km?

Or should I wait til first service is done?

:pinch:

Rocker66

Best to build speeds up gradualy

ted

Just don't labour the engine, ie running too high a gear for too low a speed. That's the worst thing you can do really.

Guest happy

Thanks ted,

It is just that there are so few sunny days here, and i am still waiting til my NCX reaching 1000km.

I'd really want to test the full torque of 62Nm....but I can wait.

------------------------------------------------------

What is the worst thing that can happen if one were to ignore the running-in period?

I heard somewhere before, like Rossi took a brand new Ducati (zero km) to the track, proceeded to whack the bike to bits, but then this bike outperforms another one which was runned in "properly" by a careful owner. And it has no mechanical problems compared to the latter, as well.

Of course, after the whacking session, the oil and filter was immediately changed.

So does anyone here, have the experience that perhaps, we should just ride the bike without running in consideration?

Edited by happy
Rocker66

I doubt that Rossi was looking at the Ducati as a long term ride*. Myself I prefer to take it easy (but not too easy ) for the first few miles

* Not sure Ducati are looking at Rossi as a long term rider

Edited by Rocker66
Guest Steve

Just don't labour the engine, ie running too high a gear for too low a speed. That's the worst thing you can do really.

Oops, been guilty of that :pinch:

ted

It's ok if you're just rolling along but just don't try making the engine do any work!

Guest Steve

It's ok if you're just rolling along but just don't try making the engine do any work!

Hmmm, I don't recall tbh... At least I have had my first service, I can accelerate more freely now.

Rev Ken

Modern engines aren't so critical during the 'running in' period. The aim is to vary the revs, building them up, first with light loads, and progressively increasing loads. It isn't a matter of taking it very easy for the first 500K, and then using the full performance.

Of course you can thrash it from day one and it could still give you excellent service, but why risk it - after all it isn't exactly pocket money - at least it isn't for me!

Guest happy

Modern engines aren't so critical during the 'running in' period. ...snip

Hi Ken

That was what I was told by several bikers and shopkeepers too.

Thanks for the affirmation.

Nevertheless all owners of new bikes are usually careful with them.

:D

Guest scrumpymike

Just as an aside, when I was booking my first service with Dobles and telling them that I did not want to exceed tha 600mls specified, they told me that the official Honda mileage window is up to 1000 miles. Has anyone else been told this by their dealer?

Rocker66

No I had mine done at 600

Guest CvEsch

I was advised to not run the engine to gentle... My dealer told me it may result in a "lazy" engine.

He advised to run it in at 3-4k rpm cruising. I did so mainly as the 4K rpm in 6th gear is my normal cruise speed.

However, i also did touch the limiter a couple times (also to make sure it actually works) and tested the bike at high speeds (170+ Km/uur)

I had my first service last week after 1500km and the mechanic told he he felt the bike was a lot smoother then when i picked it up.

Recon the running in at 3-4K rpm seems to have done the trick.

Guest gunshot72

The NC does seem to smooth out somewhat over 1000 miles in my opinion. Still has that twin vibe though and nothing to worry about if you're used to triples or 4's. To be frank though, the NC is not a high revving engine as we all know, so not ragging it during the break in period will never be an issue. It is such a laid back engine anyway, you can pretty much run it in how you like and it won't effect performance or reliability long term.