Sign in to follow this  
Guest ceeyx

gear indicator on original dash?

Guest ceeyx

Hi

has anyone thought to use original dash for gear indication?

i noticed that the dash has the gear indicator segments and i wonder could they be used to show gears?

i haven't had time to dissect the dash yet to see how it works but i doubt that they are much different from the dct versions

probably some plug is missing or something like that.

so has anyone tried or done this?

Guest happy

We talked about it, but no one has yet found out how to activate this indicator, or maybe it works only with the DCT circuitry.

Guest ceeyx

I went and looked at my dash after posting

and i saw that the connector is missing 5 connectors

and the dash has all the pins in place

most likely it is some sort serial link to dash that tells it to show gears

it would be great if someone who owns a dct version would check the number of missing pins on connector

i understand that dct knows what gear it has in at any given time so it simply says to the dash that show this or that gear

Guest happy

Or we can also ask the Honda shop?

Guest ceeyx

in my case they are mostly interested in selling the bikes than answering your questions :D

and besides i like to tinker with stuff myself

just working on a bluetooth com system for helmet :goodluck:

Guest happy

My honda dealer is actually turning out to be very helpful and friendly.

However I don't think he will actually open up a DCT dashboard, just to check for this.

I will try asking when I next visit him.

Guest ceeyx

it is not about opening up the dash as much as removing the screen and the connector sits right in front of you

it is covered with rubber and is not the first thing you would notice on the bike

i expected it to be more hidden from he view actually ;)

Guest happy

OK, let me ask the Honda dealer....

:P

ted

The dash connector is likely to be used only for the display. You'd need to feed it a signal from the parts that sense what gear you are in.

Maybe the aftermarket one could be modded to use the dash instead of the little display in the kit?

JaseR

The article in Bike magazine (May 2012) suggests the clocks are from the CBR600F - I don't know enough to know if that's correct but if it is then maybe there's a circuit diagram available for that?

Guest happy

The dash connector is likely to be used only for the display. You'd need to feed it a signal from the parts that sense what gear you are in.

Maybe the aftermarket one could be modded to use the dash instead of the little display in the kit?

Sorry to appear daft...

Is there another interface besides the LED display to enable the gear-shift indicator?

I did not read too much into the GIPRO installation guide by another dear forummer here, but is there another part to install?

Guest ceeyx

nope

the gipro calculates the gear by speed and rpm

:D

the computer part is inside the led housing as far as i understand

Guest petethebiker

So the answer is we do not know please guys let me know I`d love to have one on my 7x,cheers.

Guest BlackSilverNC700X

The non DCT model has the same speedometer panel with the DCT, I'm sure there is a way to let the non DCT speedometer show gear indication. I shall wait for someone to find out the answer because I'm not into it.

Guest Naana

I guess it depends if the required parts (sensor, wires, etc) are present in the gearbox on the non-DCT versions to tell the indicator on the dashboard which gear it's in. If these parts are there then it would seem mad (to me) not to connect them up... So - why did Honda decide not to give us the gear indicator on the manual bikes? - I can only assume they haven't put the sensor gubbins in the gearbox...

Anyone know how similar - or not - the DCT gearbox is to the manual one, and if it'd be likely to be as simple as just getting hold of the wire from the gearbox to the dash that the DCT has and the others don't?

As for wiring the aftermarket gear indicator in to the dash proper, I see no reason why that couldn't be done, but it'd probably take someone with a much greater degree of electical/electronic knowledge than me to do it! A project for someone... ;)

Rev Ken

I guess it depends if the required parts (sensor, wires, etc) are present in the gearbox on the non-DCT versions to tell the indicator on the dashboard which gear it's in. If these parts are there then it would seem mad (to me) not to connect them up... So - why did Honda decide not to give us the gear indicator on the manual bikes? - I can only assume they haven't put the sensor gubbins in the gearbox...

Anyone know how similar - or not - the DCT gearbox is to the manual one, and if it'd be likely to be as simple as just getting hold of the wire from the gearbox to the dash that the DCT has and the others don't?

As for wiring the aftermarket gear indicator in to the dash proper, I see no reason why that couldn't be done, but it'd probably take someone with a much greater degree of electical/electronic knowledge than me to do it! A project for someone... ;)

If it was that simple I guess Honda would have incorporated it! The DCT gearbox is far more complex and needs electronic inputs - the manual doesn't!