How to remove Blind snap ring?

Guest Garazins

Guest Garazins

Has anybody removed the blind snap ring that is securing the right pivot  bearings in swingarm (page 18-19 in service manual)?

Any advices how to remove it?

Derek_Mac

It should be an internal circlip  according to the parts manual, which means you need to use a pair of internal circlip pliers.

swingarm.png?dl=0

embee

It's not a circlip with eyes, it's a plain round wire snap ring.

They can be a bit tricky. The first way I usually try is with a small flat bladed screwdriver slotted down in the gap and twist to prise one end of the snap ring up, then slip a feeler gauge under the ring to keep it raised out of the groove. Once you get a start it's easy, but it can often be frustrating to get it to lift. When it is out (if I remember!) I grind/file a slight angle on the ends of the wire to give me something to hook under next time (but I often forget).

Derek_Mac

Thanks for putting me right Murray. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Garazins

I removed the ring with flat and quite wide screwdriver by pushing it in the groove between both snapring ends and then bending the handle of the screwdriver away from fork. Then pushing a feeler gauge between the fork and snapring!

michael

Oh! I thought it was going to end with some joke about  blind snap ring remover and a seeing ring dog.

:angel: