chain grease missing?

Guest machinman

Guest machinman

Hi all, I've just purchased a genuine Honda chain and sprockets set, comes with rivet link, but no grease. Does any one know if grease for the master link should be included or know of a substitute I can buy?

Cheers.

outrunner

All of the chains I have bought for various bikes included the grease in the packet containing the rivet link, this is usually a tiny amount of white grease. Having said that, I have always bought either JT or DID chains so perhaps the Honda chains are different.

Andy

Guest machinman

That's the thing Boney, I don't know if it is included as it's the first kit I've purchased. The master link has got a white coating over it, not sure whether that is the intended grease.

DaveM59

Grease is gold dust to motorcycle manufacturers, or you would think it costs the same considering how sparse they are at applying it. If the link is already coated, they have probably done that rather than supplying a packet that contains more than is needed. Another cost saving measure disguised as more environmentally friendly.

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Don't use grease anyway it just clogs up the chain with muck---Sorry Just Have To Say--WD40 mix with a little clean engine oil--cleans off at washing time--and then reapply  :thumbsup:

Guest Smidsy

Have always cleaned my Bullet chain with WD40 and re greased with a mix of grease and 20/50 oil applied with a paint brush, never had any problems, haven't done the same with the NC as i was told WD40 will ruin to sealed links in the chain that apparently contain grease, have just cleaned with fresh oil and then applied chain lube, but it never cleans as well as with WD40, is it ok then to use WD40 on the chain ?

embee

.....was told WD40 will ruin to sealed links in the chain that apparently contain grease, .................

The O-rings used in chains will be made of a material which will not be affected by WD40. It is basically a naptha (like a white spirit) with some mineral oil (and some secret smell), you can find this info on the safety data sheets which have to be published.

My guess is the O-rings are NBR (Nitrile or Buna-N etc), that would be the usual cost effective rubber suitable for that type of use. You can check the tolerance of various rubbers to different solvents etc in tables at sites like http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance for example, you can see it is fine with mineral motor oils, kerosene, paraffin (good rather than excellent but still fine), naptha etc. It's OK with petrol but not really ethanol, so pump fuel is best avoided (can be 5% ethanol).. Don't use acetone or paint thinners (xylene/toluene) or similar solvents.

Some solvents are definitely not recommended, useful to check sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Baz47

I don't think the problem with using WD40 is that it will affect the O-rings.

WD40 is a penetrating fluid that may get passed the O-rings and dilute or flush out the internal grease inside the rollers.