Indicators not working - rapid clicking from the relay

nigelspencer

nigelspencer

Hi

my 28k NC700X passed it's MOT at the weekend and then on Monday on the way to work the indicators stopped working. I blasted some switch cleaner in but to no avail. I came back to it the next day - worked so off I set and it promptly stopped again.

When you push the indicator switch or turn on the hazards none of the lights flash though the relay clicks at about twice the normal indicator on off rate - any ideas before I head off to the dealers?

Thanks

Nigel

embee

The relays usually flash at a fast rate when the load on them is lower than expected. This is to warn of a failed lamp. If none of your lamps are working it sounds like there's a fault in the common feed between the relay and switch gear, the relay itself sounds like it's fine if it's clicking. It could well be in the switch itself, this is probably the most common place for issues. That'd be where I'd start.

It's possible it's in a connector, there's usually a connector a short way down the wiring harness from the switchgear itself. That would also be at the top of the list of things to check.

DaveM59

Agreed, try turning the bars from lock to lock with the indicators on and see if movement in the wiring triggers them in which case it's definitely a connector.

Guest bonekicker

Nigel a good couple of very sensible things to check --before setting off to the dealers--and cheaper to--if you find the simple fault  :thumbsup:

Guest Bandit

check your fuze box ,if all good turn on all lights if one is out that may be the problem.All else fails see your dealer. At times its better to pay a little then stress over things.

michael

I'd peer into the fuse block first.

Then remove and check each turn signal bulb with a meter/continuity thingie.

Then go into tracing wires looking for a bad ground…..

But that's just me. I'm not getting enough garage time lately I suppose.