Engine ticking noise, mainly on acceleration?

Guest SpinyBiker

embee

No knock sensing on the NC.

…………….. and knock (pinking/pinging) is a totally different phenomenon to pre-ignition...…………………………..

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Tex said:

Well, if I am brutally honest I don’t know for sure that it does. But with it’s ‘half a Jazz’ heritage I would be amazed if it didn’t.. 

To me too. But the NC is a (disappointingly) noisy old lump, so it could be anything. 

Tex - You might be on the right track.  Given its 'half a Jazz' heritage perhaps the problem is that there's some old Jazzer stuck inside bike's frunk, pushing out some crazy bebop time signature, perhaps a four beat pulse on his ride cymbal.  But I could be mistaken.

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Tex said:

Well, if I am brutally honest I don’t know for sure that it does. But with it’s ‘half a Jazz’ heritage I would be amazed if it didn’t.. 

To me too. But the NC is a (disappointingly) noisy old lump, so it could be anything. 

Can't hear mine anymore with the Black Widow minus db killer...........:ahappy:

• Haha 1
SteveThackery
4 hours ago, embee said:

No knock sensing on the NC.

…………….. and knock (pinking/pinging) is a totally different phenomenon to pre-ignition...…………………………..

I agree - the terms lead to confusion.  Really we should be talking about pre-ignition and detonation.  "Knocking", "pinking", "pinging", etc, are imprecise descriptions of the sounds and are best avoided.

• 3 weeks later...

first tank of gas was 87 octane.

I noticed what I believe to be the same sound.  Lower speed, lower rpms, steady tapping sound with rpm until it revs higher.

road speeds there is too much wind noise I suspect, because I only noticed around town.

next tank of gas was Chevron Ultra 97 octane

havent heard it since,

I suspect it was spark knock.

embee
1 hour ago, ncx19 said:

first tank of gas was 87 octane.

I noticed what I believe to be the same sound.  Lower speed, lower rpms, steady tapping sound with rpm until it revs higher.

road speeds there is too much wind noise I suspect, because I only noticed around town.

next tank of gas was Chevron Ultra 97 octane

havent heard it since,

I suspect it was spark knock.

I assume you're in the USA.

For info for those of us here in the UK, US terminology is usually for (RON+MON)/2 , and MON is typically 7 or 8 numbers lower than RON, thus 87 (R+M)/2 equates to 91RON typically.

Note that the NC is calibrated for 91RON minimum, so that would be the lowest spec acceptable. We don't get anything lower than 95RON here in the UK.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest MartinF999

My NC750X DCT developed a rattly noise that may or may not be like this at about 9000 miles, and turned out to be the chain that was not moving freely as I hadn’t lubricated it enough. Honda sorted it out, and now I’m oiling it more often. It wasn’t the engine, but was noticeable when applying some power to pull away. 

Worth checking...