Had to change my Chain at midnight Monday night....

rjp996

rjp996

Well past month the ride of my NC750x has been a little rougher / hard, and I had noticed the chain had gone from 1 to 3 tight spots in about a week - chain has done 18,500 miles however.

Using my bike every day and ~28-30k a year I order spares in advance so when I saw the first tight link I ordered another DID VX2 520 (112) Endless chain (Gold of course....) and put it with my dwindling pile of new tyres (down to my last rear spare PR4 now).

Planned to change the chain probably next weekend but given the miles I do I like to eak out as much as I can.... to a limit.

Coming home Monday night however the ride was rougher and by the time I got within 1 mile of my house I could hear a noise (sort of a click noise you get as you bend metal and it springs).

Got home and noticed the chain was loose... odd as only had service week before and was fine then, tightened it to spec, span the wheel and still had the click noise.

Took the front sprocket cover off to see if it was coming from a tight link going around the smaller front sprocket.... only to notice that as i rotated the rear wheel, even on the center stand the chain was going from very loose to rock hard tight.... So im the space of a week the chain went from a tight link or two, to begin totally shot. The rough ride therefore coming from the chain limiting the sock movement on the swing arm arc as the chain tightens

So with the train strikes on Tue, no other option at 11.30pm at night but to bite the bullet and change the chain.

Begin an Endless chain that meant, exhaust can off, wheel off, bottom suspension link off, bottom bolt from shock out, both side foot peg hanger plates off, swingarm bolt out to be able to move the swingarm out of position to get the chain in.

Replaced both the front and rear sprocket as I has a spare pair, but did notice almost zero wear in 18.5k miles.....

Put it all back together, and had the laser out at 1am as the final step to get the wheel and chain straight.

Start to finish 1.5hrs,l but would not recommend starting a job like this at 11:30pm after a long day at work ;-)

• Like 12

Good work Richard. And a shining example of how being 'well prepared' will get you out of the smelly stuff time and time again.

Am curious why, if you also have an Africa Twin, you didn't decide to change the chain on Tuesday evening instead of on Monday night.  Masochism?

Guest sykospain

Nevertheless, Richard's task-list for how to replace an endless chain is very valuable - no matter what time of day or night the job is done !

rjp996

Ah.... That would have been easy DMB, prob was the AT is paid for and insured, but only begin delivered to my house by Kent Motorcycles today (could well be there now) - if chain could have lasted a few more days it would have been simpler.

• Like 1
rjp996

my tip with changing the front sprocket - is undo the nut before taking the rear wheel off  - stops the sprocket spinning

michael

I admire someone whom carries an inventory of consumables.  And is ready for this type of adventure!

RussB644

wow...nice job, don't fancy that after a long day  :no:

Trev

Hats off to you for eeking out the very last mile of service from the chain ; )

• Like 1
embee

Excellent effort. I agree, endless chain means a factory link so no risk of it being tight or loose etc. Dropping the swingarm isn't a big deal once you've done it and you can grease the bearings while you're in there.

• 4 months later...

That's a fantastic effort Richard, 1.5 hrs phew, takes me that to think about how to do the job. Thanks for the blow by blow account I am going to fit an endless next. I have 23k on my chain now (did gold and tutoro chain oiler) but it is going quick now.