Alternator power output.

outrunner

outrunner

Anyone know how many Amps the alternator on 2016 nc750 puts out? Well, to be exact I would like to know how many spare Amps there is after all the bike electrics are powered up so I know what electrical bits and bobs I can fit. :ermm:

Andy.

Guest bonekicker

Andy a none technical answer--spot lights --sat navs--power outlets--extra rear tail light--leds on handguards--heated handgrips--all these and probably more--no problem at all--but I also have --and plug in each time I come home a battery optimizer.

But some clever--member will supply you with the info you want. :thumbsup:

JONO49

Andy did we meet at Moffat the other week? my mate had a Ducati 1098 :thumbsup:

outrunner

Yes, that was me, nice to talk to you. :)

Andy.

outrunner

Bonekicker, thanks for the info as I intend to fit heated waistcoat (on me not the bike) satnav, led lights, heated grips before the winter comes and a power socket for charging stuff on the move.

Andy.

DaveM59

0.42 kW/5,000 rpm which is 35 Amps at 12VDC.

So volts divided by watts for every item you have plugged it at once gives you individual amps then add them all together and leave a few amps for the ECU etc.

eg headlight is 55W so 4.5A

Sidelights 15W so 1.25A

There wont be a huge overhead plus you don't ride at 5000rpm all the time but not every accessory pulls current all the time, heated things have thermostats so only tick over once warm. LEDs use hardly anything so you should be easily safe.

You shouldn't need a battery tender if you use the bike enough.

Edited by DaveM59
  • Like 1
Mike5100

Dave's point about heated gear is sound.  These days the controllers are much more intelligent than they used to be.  I use full heated jacket heated long johns, socks and gloves plus heated grips which theoretically should overwhelm the output of the alternator if you add up their printed current draw.  I've been using them on3 different NC's over 3 winters now and never had the slightest problem - and normal revs for me are 3000 rather than the rated output at 5000

Mike

embee

Just for extra info, the alternator output curve will look something like this

perf%20curve_400.jpg

This is just a generic image from Google, but it shows the type of curve. If the nominal output is quoted at 5000rpm, you can estimate that at 2000rpm the output will be around half, give or take a bit. You'll have to make a judgement on what type of riding you do and the typical engine rpm you use as to what continuous load you'll be able to supply.

One way you can go is to use a voltage limiter for the heavier demand items, the heated stuff if it doesn't have built in protection as Mike says above. This will switch them off if the battery volts drops below a level which you can choose to some extent, and back on when the volts rise again (e.g. stop start traffic use). See for example http://www.brocott.co.uk/20-amp-battery-guard-accu-saver-adjustable-settings/

Edited by embee
outrunner

Thanks for the information guys but I am probably just being over cautious as my BMW 800 ran all my leccy bits no problem and it would have the same sort of output as the Honda. Just need to get the crash bars ordered so I can mount my lights. :)

Andy.

Guest sykospain

Clicked link says "Forbidden" - use PhotoBucket instead of pirate4x4 - much more reliable and easier to upload and give URLs for.

michael

An interesting link:

http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/excessCapacity

There's multiple ways to check for sufficient charging and capacity, I have one of these things attached to the power outlet in the frunk. At any time using my GPS, heated gear/grips or auxiliary lighting I can check.

http://www.batterytender.com/Accessories/Digital-Voltage-Indicator-with-LCD-Display.html

embee

Clicked link says "Forbidden" - use PhotoBucket instead of pirate4x4 - much more reliable and easier to upload and give URLs for.

I use photobucket, but that's just a link for a pic on a site, I haven't done anything with it. Both pics show for me now, anyone else see them? Doesn't matter anyway, just search on google images for alternator output and you'll see as many as you want.

Edited by embee
  • 2 weeks later...
larryblag

Takes me back a bit. In 1891 I had a Suzuki GP100. Piffling single phase alternator and tiny 6v battery meant that the battery was flat all the time, simply by covering the rear brake at traffic lights. Good job it was kick start only...

1981 I meant:-)