first service cost

Guest barryw333

Slowboy

Rocker, I get all the overhead costs old chap, I used to manage major projects, and don't get too hung up on the VAT, much of it is reclaimable for a business, it's the customer that pays the bulk of that, the business in effect collects it for the inland revenue at the point of sale.

Just to make one more point on costs, my father in law was asked yesterday by a main dealer (big glass palace and cafe) if he'd like them to change his head light bulb as the dip had failed. (He was there for an unrelated recall) It was full daylight, so he declined their kind offer to change it on his Suzuki Inazuma (not the faired one) for £45 plus the bulb. It took him 10 minutes to do it at home.

Really is the end of the rant....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• Tex

• Slowboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, the list of mechanical fetishism that'll have any bike forum buzzing!   I want:   Fuel Injection - I hate carbs when they get leaks, and they all do. Electronic Ignition -

Whilst I realise that you are being sarcastic can ou deny that doing so is a far better solution than just moaning about your current dealer on forums. Vote with your wallet

Well if you are happy to buy blind that is your choice. I still prefer the personal touch. For one thing if I had a problem with a new bike I would prefer to be able to go to the dealer get a loan bik

Steve Blackdog
31 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Rocker, I get all the overhead costs old chap, I used to manage major projects, and don't get too hung up on the VAT, much of it is reclaimable for a business, it's the customer that pays the bulk of that, the business in effect collects it for the inland revenue at the point of sale.

Just to make one more point on costs, my father in law was asked yesterday by a main dealer (big glass palace and cafe) if he'd like them to change his head light bulb as the dip had failed. (He was there for an unrelated recall) It was full daylight, so he declined their kind offer to change it on his Suzuki Inazuma (not the faired one) for £45 plus the bulb. It took him 10 minutes to do it at home.

Really is the end of the rant....

Maybe this underlines the importance of building a relationship with your dealer. If they let folks test ride every new bike a customer fancies, only for them to buy the cheapest one on the net, they have to make their money where they can. On the other hand, if you buy your bikes and kit from the same dealer and use them for services, you are more likely that they will do you a favour when you need one. 

My old Triumph dealer looked after me over about about 8-10 years. I bought three bikes from them as well as helmets, boots and other kit. When I bought my (factory order) Sprint ST, Triumph had a deal allowing around £1k of kit against the list price as a sales promotion. My dealer agreed to let me have the cash off the bike instead. As a result, I bought my next bike from him too. 

You can't expect loyalty unless you are prepared to give some loyalty in return. 

• Like 2
Slowboy
9 hours ago, Steve Blackdog said:

You can't expect loyalty unless you are prepared to give some loyalty in return. 

Your quite  right Steve, I bought four bikes off this one dealer over the last 10 years, around £20ks worth, but they still treat me as a cash cow because, as they remind you, you need them for the warranty.

the Volvo dealer I bought my V70 from, my only purchase from them, looks after me very well come service time, and their hourly rate is cheaper. They understand customer loyalty is a two way street....

Brian

Edited by slowboy
Fat finger trouble
  • Like 1
Rocker66
3 hours ago, slowboy said:

Your quite  right Steve, I bought four bikes off this one dealer over the last 10 years, around £20ks worth, but they still treat me as a cash cow because, as they remind you, you need them for the warranty.

the Volvo dealer I bought my V70 from, my only purchase from them, looks after me very well come service time, and their hourly rate is cheaper. They understand customer loyalty is a two way street....

Brian

The answer is easy change your dealer for one that gives you a decent service.There are plenty out there that do

Slowboy
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

The answer is easy change your dealer for one that gives you a decent service.There are plenty out there that do

Of course, if only I had realised, goodness me what a fekwit I've been...

• Like 2
Rocker66
43 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Of course, if only I had realised, goodness me what a fekwit I've been...

Whilst I realise that you are being sarcastic can ou deny that doing so is a far better solution than just moaning about your current dealer on forums. Vote with your wallet

• Like 2
Slowboy

Rocker, of course it was, but it was meant lightheartedly. You and I will no doubt differ, but sharing our moans, successes and examples of good service is, in my view exactly the kind of thing that adds value to this forum. While I don't agree with every item I read on here, I respect the authors views are honestly held and expressed. I feel this has run is course.

A bientot

Brian

Rocker66

I agree but sadly those receiving bad service are more likely to post than those getting good service thus giving a distorted view of dealers.

Guest sykospain
On 1/26/2017 at 09:20, slowboy said:

they still treat me as a cash cow because, as they remind you, you need them for the warranty.

As mentioned in several different threads, Brian, you're not obliged to use a Honda dealer for servicing in order to maintain your guarantee, so long as you use a registered motorcycle workshop to stamp your book and get them to itemise on the factura the genuine Honda parts that they fit.

Edited by sykospain
Slowboy

Aye, I do no that, and now carry out all my own servicing on all our vehicles except our Volvo and only that because I don't have access to the software (yet). Out of interest, what's the hourly rate for servicing in Spain, if you know it, just as a comparison it would be interesting to know if it was similar to the UK.

Guest DervMan

Interesting topic this, I'm not going to rant about dealers but as a result of past experience I do all my own servicing. It's fun, you know it's been done and it's much cheaper. I realise I'm in the minority but one of the reasons I haven't got a CrossTourer is the complexity of performing a valve check, I'm not willing to do something that fiddly myself and I'm also not prepared to pay ~£500 for a dealer to do it, so I don't buy that particular bike. From a servicing perspective you can't beat the boxer engine, I can check/adjust the valves in 30 minutes.......

Spindizzy
2 hours ago, DervMan said:

Interesting topic this, I'm not going to rant about dealers but as a result of past experience I do all my own servicing. It's fun, you know it's been done and it's much cheaper. I realise I'm in the minority but one of the reasons I haven't got a CrossTourer is the complexity of performing a valve check, I'm not willing to do something that fiddly myself and I'm also not prepared to pay ~£500 for a dealer to do it, so I don't buy that particular bike. From a servicing perspective you can't beat the boxer engine, I can check/adjust the valves in 30 minutes.......

I only buy bikes with screw type valve adjusters. Cant be done with sorting out shims and taking out the camshaft. Its also why my scooter is the 'air cooled' version. Sadly couldn't buy it with  carburetor but I have the workshop manual and plug in diagnostic tool. The rest is basics.

36 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

I only buy bikes with screw type valve adjusters. Cant be done with sorting out shims and taking out the camshaft. Its also why my scooter is the 'air cooled' version. Sadly couldn't buy it with  carburetor but I have the workshop manual and plug in diagnostic tool. The rest is basics.

Carburetor? Jeeze! No thanks! I miss those like I miss contact breakers and inner tubes.. :)

But, yeah, simple is good. High revving engines perform better, or, at least, more reliably with shims. But on a 'bread and butter' ride? Nah.

• Like 1
Andy m

Ah, the list of mechanical fetishism that'll have any bike forum buzzing!

I want:

Fuel Injection - I hate carbs when they get leaks, and they all do.

Electronic Ignition - no messing with fag papers

Enclosed Chain - Shaft level of maintenance, chain level of everything else.

Hydraulic Tappets - no shims, no pushrods, no fiddling required.

A sump big enough to actually cool and filter the oil.

Not bothered on tyre type, tubeless are best on the road, tubed on service day. I want a size that gives a choice of rubber though.

No bodywork to take off, or sparkplugs accessed by taking the sump off etc.

A kick starter - part of the fun even if they are about as necessary as ***s on a bull.

No "chrome" unless 10 workers and 3 species of fish were poisoned doing the plating and it'll look like new when the Martian archeologists dig through the landfill in the year 8000.

Mudguards that guard against mud.

Closest they make is an Enfield. It makes 28 HP!

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3
Slowboy

Andy I think I've spotted the perfection we all seek...

47CF5C7A-7668-43F4-818B-2CEAB8FD481C_zps

Edited by slowboy
Spindizzy
44 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Ah, the list of mechanical fetishism that'll have any bike forum buzzing!

I want:

Fuel Injection - I hate carbs when they get leaks, and they all do.

Electronic Ignition - no messing with fag papers

Enclosed Chain - Shaft level of maintenance, chain level of everything else.

Hydraulic Tappets - no shims, no pushrods, no fiddling required.

A sump big enough to actually cool and filter the oil.

Not bothered on tyre type, tubeless are best on the road, tubed on service day. I want a size that gives a choice of rubber though.

No bodywork to take off, or sparkplugs accessed by taking the sump off etc.

A kick starter - part of the fun even if they are about as necessary as ***s on a bull.

No "chrome" unless 10 workers and 3 species of fish were poisoned doing the plating and it'll look like new when the Martian archeologists dig through the landfill in the year 8000.

Mudguards that guard against mud.

Closest they make is an Enfield. It makes 28 HP!

Andy

How have you not been snapped up by Suzhonaki design department. 

I could go for that flying pig - but I would want a substantial discount.. :D

Edited by Tex
MikeBike
7 hours ago, sykospain said:

so long as you use a registered motorcycle workshop to stamp your book and get them to itemise on the factura the genuine Honda parts that they fit.

Not aware of any registration of the workshop being required.

What it says in the Owners manual is "properly trained and equipped technicians"

Maintenance work should be performed in
accordance with Honda’s standards and
specifications by properly trained and
equipped technicians. Your dealer meets all
of these requirements. Keep an accurate
record of maintenance to help ensure that
your motorcycle is properly maintained.
Make sure that whomever performs the
maintenance completes this record.

It also doesn't say that Honda parts must be used. It says "or their equivalents"

Replacing Parts
Always use Honda Genuine Parts or their
equivalents to ensure reliability and safety.

Edited by MikeBike
Slowboy
1 hour ago, Tex said:

I could go for that flying pig - but I would want a substantial discount.. :D

You might be lucky if you got a large deposit!

This only just occurred to me. If you look closely and squint a bit, are they Honda wings?

Brian

Edited by slowboy
Bater spelin
  • Like 1
MikeBike
3 minutes ago, slowboy said:

You might be lucky if you got a large deposit!

This only just occurred to me. If you look closely and squint a bit, are they Honda wings?

Brian

Oh, my dragon has competition

photo-3141.gif

• Like 1