Ongoing accident repairs

djsb

So, I'm finally getting the chance to do some work on my bike after my accident last November. This is what I've done so far.

1/ Checked the valve clearances as per 16K service (done about 14k miles so thought I'd have a look anyway).

2/ Fitted new radiator, brackets, hose clips and applied some grease to the frame.

3/ Fitted new left hand footrest peg.

4/ Fitted new shift motor cover (the black plastic cover that protects the gear shift motor on the left).

TO DO (weather permitting)

1/ Put fresh coolant in the radiator, run the engine and burp the coolant system. Check for leaks and tighten hoses as needed.

2/ Drain the oil.

3/ Replace the the alternator cover.

4/ Put new oil filters in and fresh oil.

More updates later.

• Like 6
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djsb

• CFB

• nelmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I'm finally getting the chance to do some work on my bike after my accident last November. This is what I've done so far.   1/ Checked the valve clearances as per 16K service (done about 14k mil

Just got the new stainless front brake pistons/seals (which I got off Trisaki) and EBC brake pads fitted and a new rear OEM brake piston/seals and EBC pads fitted by a local mobile mechanic (nice blok

Finally, got to do some work on the bike this morning. I pulled the old front drive sprocket off and fitted the new one (17 tooth). Note to self the bolt needs torquing up properly (54 M-m 10 mm

Posted Images

Guest bonekicker

David well done--are you back riding your bike?? 

The TO DO jobs --usually never get done--even weather permitting :angel:  

No still not riding the bike as I'm still waiting for the insurance claim to be settled. The bike is a Category C write off so I also have to get it cleared later on as well.

• Like 1
Defender

Glad to hear your making progress, I hope your insurance claim is sorted out soon?

I'm not that far away from you if you need any help send me PM.

I have carer responsibilities but will help you if I can.

ATB.

Defender.

• Like 2
Guest bonekicker

David are the insurance company just holding onto the cheque as usual--because you did not accept a lower offer from them?? are you repairing the bike at your own expense then? until they do pay out? Sorry if you have explained all this before--I must have missed it  :ermm:

I'm doing the repairs at my own expense unfortunately. I have been told that the worse case scenario is a 50/50 settlement so I've kept the costs as low as I can so I will at least break even. It's going through a solicitor as I had legal cover on my insurance. Seems that things will only start to happen on the eve of the expected court appearance. I don't mind going to court as I will have a chance to put my side across.

We shall see in due course.

Glad to hear your making progress, I hope your insurance claim is sorted out soon?

I'm not that far away from you if you need any help send me PM.

I have carer responsibilities but will help you if I can.

ATB.

Defender.

Same here David, and I'm just up the road.

You sound quite competent so shouldn't have many problems.

Can't do much physically but happy to help in other ways if needed.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So, I put fresh coolant in the engine (says capacity 1.7 litres in the manual managed to get about 1.3 litres in there) and the engine started first time (with a freshly charged battery thats been on trickle charge all the time) even though the last time it ran was last November. I will run it again next Friday and top up the coolant to make sure all the air has bled out of the system. No leaks so far so all seems well.

Next step is to loosen all the fork/brake caliper, front wheel and mudguard bolts and then tie down the rear of the bike and put a bottle jack under the engine. I then have to remove the front wheel and send it off to be repaired/balanced. The rim has some damage where it clipped the road/kerb when the bike dropped.

I then have to remove the front forks and strip them and send the stanchions off to Philpotts in Luton to be straightened and replated. May as well get the forks sent off to Maxtons as well funds permitting. Hopeing at some stage over the next few months my insurance claim will be settled one way or another (they are waiting for a police report now). I'm assuming a 50/50 split so It will at least offset some of my costs.

Probably be next Easter before I get back on the road again as I don't want to be riding over the winter after such a long break.

Edited by djsb
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well got the following done this morning before I was rained off. Took me 3 hours.

a/ Removed the front wheel and tied up the front brake caliper.

b/ Removed the front forks.

The chrome on the fork is rust free but they most probably got twisted in the accident. So I'm sending the stanchions off for straightening and rechroming anyway.

The front wheel has some damage on the edge of the rim so it's going off for repair as well.

Just have to make sure the bike is secured properly on Monday. I'm tieing it down with some steel cables to my MZ parked next to it.

More later.

• 2 weeks later...

Sent the front wheel off to ST Motorcycle Engineering in Grantham for repair. Will post a review of the work when I get it back.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the front wheel back over a week ago. Nice job and done very quickly. Cost £125 including all the postage. This included tyre removal/replacement, repair of the damage on the wheel and repainting the damaged area and I also got the front disc checked for trueness. I've not had a look at the bearings yet but I bought 4 new ones anyway just in case. Got a DIY bearing press made up from some laser cut steel discs off that auction site and some 12mm threaded rod with nuts/washers. Had the 13mm holes drilled at work. So I'm ready if I need to replace the front wheel bearings.

Distmantled the right hand fork leg completely. Took my time as it's a messy,oily job and wanted to make sure I didn't damage anything and made sure every part was put into labelled bags.

Left hand for leg should be a little quicker now that I know what to do. More later.

• 1 month later...

Rechromed fork stanchions back from Philpots earlier in the week. Spending this weekend boxing up the forks and sending them to Maxtons for upgrading to GP20 cartridges with Adjustable Rebound damping, Compression damping and Preload adjustment.

Edited by djsb
Grammar

Yes I was insured TPFT but also had legal cover (all through Carole Nash). My payout was based on 75/25 in my favour after a 12 month legal battle which could still have dragged on if I had not accepted some liability.

Edited by djsb
  • 2 months later...

Alarm removed yesterday along with fairing panels in preparation for regreasing of the steering bearings. Also noticed a few rust spots on the frame welds that need derusting/greasing or painting.

Ran the engine until the fan kicked in and checked that the gearbox selects first gear and that there are no error messages on the display.

Prepared a couple of the new panels and made a list of fasteners to buy (didn't take notice of which nut/bolt/trim clip went where so probably lost a couple). Later.

Guest sykospain

Wow - what a list of jobs done and to-do on a crashed bike !  Good on you David, but I bet you're in the red on the balance sheet by now...so sorry about your bad luck being bowled off the bike and I'm amazed that you found somebody to repair a dented / scrubbed alloy wheel at a reasonable price.  Here in Spain a job like that cost me a hundred snoojits 2 years ago for a very small ding in a BMW alloy front wheel to be smoothed out, and that was the lowest of four different quotes, all from firms in far-away Barça.  Let's see lots of pictures of the completed bike when all is back to normal, please.

• 4 weeks later...

Steering stem removed Sunday morning. Steering stem bolt came off a little too easily as it was probably loosened up by the twisting of the top fork yoke when the bike was dropped. Plenty of grease and everything nice and shiny. The 30mm socket is a little too loose so I've ordered a 29mm socket to see if it fits better for tightening up later. Got to clean/de-rust/grease up the fork clamps ready for the new forks.  Hoping to get the stem back on this weekend.

• 2 months later...

1/ Derusted and Painted fork brace with 3 coats of POR15.

2/ Cleaned, derusted,greased and adjusted/replaced fork stem.

3/ Checked for presence of both option connectors. Option A plug/socket removed by alarm installer so I have to replace it. Option B found near front forks.

1/ Fitted Maxton upgraded front forks and repaired front wheel. Everything aligned (top of fork with fork bridge in particular) and torqued up properly.

• Like 1
CFB

Getting there David 🙂

nelmo

Blimey, what a load of effort! Huge congratulations for doing it but I'm afraid it just goes to show what a difference TPFT and fully comp makes.

It also explains why my Varadero cost (my insurers) £3,500 to repair after a 15mph collision and got the same bike written off 2 years later after a 20 mph collision.

Guest psoutthere

Reads like a very thorough job. Well done! Although I am a little envious, as I would like to have a go myself, but I hope I don't have to :console:.

Yes, it is a LOT of work but I enjoy working on the bike and seeing it gradually coming together again. Hopefully the work will accelerate over the summer but I've got to keep the costs in check so It's a balancing act.

Coming up NEXT weekend:

1/ Cleaning front brake caliper and fitting new EBC FA196HH brake pads (not really needed but going to replace anyway). Also 2 new ALOC bolts. 

2/ Refit mudguard and brace. Will fit fender extender later.

3/ Fit new handlebar.

4/ Clean rear brake caliper and fit new brake pads (EBC FA496HH) and new ALOC bolt.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi David,

Just wondered what progress you have made to date and in particular, are you pleased with your Maxton front fork innards?

• 2 months later...

Just got the new stainless front brake pistons/seals (which I got off Trisaki) and EBC brake pads fitted and a new rear OEM brake piston/seals and EBC pads fitted by a local mobile mechanic (nice bloke and very reasonable rates). I wanted someone else to do the work as having to bleed the brakes myself was becoming a barrier to further progress. I've got more than enough work still to do and now I can crack on with it.

Edited by djsb
  • Like 4