Nc700 clutch

Guest apjoe24

Guest apjoe24

The clutch on my 700 has started to slip badly, its just done 11000 miles. is that right for an nc clutch? before this it has had trouble changing gears and has been dragging a little in gear, i adjusted the cable so it changed ok but then it slipped. now it does all the time.

I would change it myself but dont have the time, what sort of cost am i looking at to change the friction plates?

cheers, Joe.

Guest machinman

It will be probably a couple of hundred quid for a set of steels and friction plates. IIRC there are a couple spring plates too. Best to change oil and filter at the same time.

Not a massive job, 2 hours I'd say.

Guest MadStu

My one drags too, was told £300 by a garage to change the plates. I reckon I'll have a go at doing it myself though.

Does anyone know if I'd need special tools?

I'd rather spend the money on the tools I need to do it rather than give to a mechanic.

Guest machinman

Their is a special tool needed to undo (and do up afterwards) the centre nut.

The tool holds the centre hub so it doesn't spin. My dealer had to have one made as it wasn't available at the time.

After this I buggered the clutch on a slow riding course and I managed to do the job with a friends impact gun, not ideal as they are very powerful, but no problems.

From what I gather my dealer tried universal clutch holding tools without success and actually broke the centre hub.

Take your time, you'll be fine.

• 1 month later...

I bought the EBC clutch plates for a Honda PC 800 along with set of stronger springs. The clutch lever is hydraulically assisted on the PC800.

Fitted it all and the clutch groaned ? when the lever was pulled in. Dropped the engine oil and pulled the cover and watched whilst the clutch was used. The basket was bending, removed HD springs and put the old ones back in. And all was well after that, the EBC corks and plates worked very well. Don't trust the stronger springs though.

Guest Peterpoddy

The clutch on my 700 has started to slip badly, its just done 11000 miles. is that right for an nc clutch? before this it has had trouble changing gears and has been dragging a little in gear, i adjusted the cable so it changed ok but then it slipped. now it does all the time.

I would change it myself but dont have the time, what sort of cost am i looking at to change the friction plates?

cheers, Joe.

Sounds like you've over adjusted it to me and now a too tight cable is not letting it engage properly.

Unless you've been drag racing regularly or you're an astonishingly poor rider there's something wrong there. 

I rode my '98 CB500s like I stole it, did 2 trackways on it and did 33,000 miles and the clutch was perfect. My 700x has 31,000 miles on it and I see no reason why the clutch won't do 50-60,000 at least