Oil leak behind front sprocket on my 2014 NC750D Integra.

daddydoug

daddydoug

Hello again to all,

My cossetted Integra has developed an oil leak from behind the front sprocket. 16,000 easy miles and she leaves an oil stain after a run when parked on the side stand. No biggie, I put it down to marking her territory and will presumably replace a seal when I change the chain and sprockets in about six months time. Any words of wisdom out there that could prepare me from a nasty surprise.

I love the 'bike, but to date service recalls for an instrument panel change and then a starter solenoid change. The gear indicator light started flashing, in all gears in all modes a long way from home. I had plenty of petrol so kept going for 160 odd miles 'till I got the 'bike into my garage before switching off. Started the 'bike, all normal and has stayed that way. The fuel injection light popped on in the middle of Glasgow. Went off after 20 minutes and the 'bike ran normally during the unnerving experience. I still love the damned thing as I still love my wife of 56 years married. Neither of them are perfect. 

There, I feel better already.

Cheers,

Douglas.

trisaki

Are you sure it's not just an over oiled chain

DaveM59

The gear indicator will change to a dash if at any time there is a variance of more than a few percent between the rotational speed of front and rear wheels. So if you skid or pull a wheelie or lock a brake it may light up. The handbook does say this and that turning the ignition off and back on resets it. This obviously only applies if the anomaly is temporary and all functions seem to be still working.

I guess it's related to the system that prevents the gears being used if the bike is on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground and the front not rotating, only as the condition passes and the higher gears are already selected it simply indicates a non preferred condition has occurred.

Forget the starter relay your bike is too old for the recall as it would already have been built before the faulty relay batch was used, yours may well even have a 2013 relay fitted. They are exactly the same relay as used on Piaggio 400/500cc scooters and were originally on the old 250SL X9 which was built from Honda parts. Cheap to buy on E_bay and I have a few spare ones chucking about but never needed them.

There is a simple external oil seal on the shaft behind the sprocket. Probably an hour of a job to replace. Screw a couple of chunky self tappers through it and pull it out, tap a new one home, replace sprocket. It's not on a high pressure feed only splash from the bleed ducts on the shaft goes to the bearing.

• Like 2

Forget the starter relay your bike is too old for the recall as it would already have been built before the faulty relay batch was used, yours may well even have a 2013 relay fitted.

Incorrect!! Mine is a 2014 model too and the solenoid WAS on Honda's list of batches needing replacement.

DaveM59

You're right it's Sept 13 to Sept 14, I mis-remembered it as Sept 14 to Sept 15.

It seems weird only Honda have a recall for this problem yet the relays are widely used on other bikes. I've looked on recall website at other bikes I know to use them and there is nothing related. 

If I had a bike within the dates I'd check it myself, the info is on another thread, but considering these relays have not yet burst into flame in the last 3 years they are probably being overly cautious. The dud ones will already have given trouble which is how the fault came to light. 

Has anyone actually had any issues with the relay or were remotely concerned of a defect prior to knowing about the recall notice?

• Like 1

Exactly right Dave. All the motor manufacturers are 'running scared' of American litigation where 'punitive damages' of tens of millions can be awarded for failing to make recalls no matter how slight the possibility of failure actually is.

The production date was only a guide. The relay batch numbers were the only proper way to ID the potentially faulty ones. What my dealer was told by Honda Australia was that in the batches in question they used too much threadlock and that could make its way into the contacts, stopping the relay from starting the bike and due to sparking could overheat and worst case catch fire.

embee

Exactly right Dave. All the motor manufacturers are 'running scared' of American litigation where 'punitive damages' of tens of millions can be awarded for failing to make recalls no matter how slight the possibility of failure actually is.

I was responsible for the technical sign-off of an engine family and all vehicle fuel systems for one manufacturer in my former life. It concentrates the mind dealing with the US authorities. Professional indemnity is a wonderful thing but the EPA and NHTSA have long arms and big boots.

• Like 2
daddydoug

Thanks for your comments guys. The starter relay was changed by Honda, and no faults showed up in the diagnostics for the flashing gear indicator or the injection fault light. I do oil my chain regularly, since new, and the drip has just started recently. DaveM 59, your comments are probably spot on since, when parked, the leak stops pretty quickly. I will have an oil seal to hand when I change the chain, etc. One thing that I forgot to mention was that last week, on one occasion only, the starter motor did not engage and made one heck of a racket spinning against the flywheel ring, if that is the setup. Switched off, sat bemused for a few seconds, starter button and away we went. Is this a rare event since I have seen no mention of such a thing on the forum.

cheers,

Douglas.

embee

Hi Doug

as is my usual reply to these sort of issues, I'm beginning to suspect more and more a connector issue somewhere. The fact that you get these intermittent random faults, and now a spurious starter fault tends to make me think loose connection on either the starter relay and/or battery terminals. The fact that the starter relay has been worked on might add to this theory. The starter takes a big current and if there is a poor/loose connection on the main terminals it can make the starter chatter in/out.

I'd check the relay terminals and the battery terminals for cleanliness and tightness. Disconnect the battery negative before poking round the relay terminals with tools!

I would also take the common earth terminal off at the left side front of the riders seat, a bolt into the frame holds about a dozen wires (on the 700 anyway, not certain if the 750 is the same). Check the tabs and mating faces are all clean and lube with dielectric grease, ACF50 or Vaseline, reassemble and ensure it is nicely tight.

The computerised systems for the engine and transmission don't like unexpected voltage fluctuations. Some they are expecting, like just after a start when battery volts drop and recover, but if you get spikes during normal running it can be interpreted as a system fault and a default limp-home mode is flagged.

Edited by embee
Guest sykospain

And what a knowledgeable expert post from Dave on the Fylde. Most illuminating.

I wonder Dave whether you could spare the time to write me out a run-down of the steps needed to remove the swing-arm ?  I am a Supporter so have looked at the book, but instructions from an expert who knows the bike so intimately could be so much more helpful.

DaveM59

I haven't removed the swing arm on mine yet so as to whether there is a simpler to follow sequence than that in the service manual I don't yet know.

Basically if in any doubt, use an egg box and place removed nuts, shim/washers etc in each pocket in the order they are removed marked left and right. Grease things well on reassembly and keep grit and dirt out. Write down each step and reverse on refitting.

• Like 2