1st service and #Fail for Honda

PoppetM

PoppetM

So I parted with £150 on Saturday.  

Came back out of the showroom into the road and the bike lurched with it's rather unhappy rider from 1st to 2nd which frightened the life out of Andy following me,  I thought naively "oh they have just adjusted my clutch without telling me, it's my fault or my inability to ride". 

Trundled down to Arundel, which wasn't good. The bike was all over the place when it hit a bump, and along the route to Petworth there are plenty of them and I arrived a bag of nerves which is unusual for me.

Andy heads off in his own direction as I am in no rush to get back on the bike and then a fellow Forum friend appears. Gives the bike the once over and whisks it away to the workshop. 

The list of corrections: 

Chain tension - incorrect

Tyre inflation - incorrect

Oil level - incorrect

Wheel Alignment - incorrect

Bless him, he spent his "afternoon off" putting these things right instead of riding his bike. (A huge, huge thanks by the way!!!) We finally set off to Rykas and finally I feel happy again with it. The tyres feel normal again and the bike no longer pitches to one side when cornering as it has done since day 1 so roundabouts are less of a Kamikaze turn and turning into my small road felt a lot safer. 

Told my twin this morning. He went mad. He suspects they never bothered to run through the delivery checklist, the chain and wheel alignment have probably never been checked. I had pulled forward delivery but had said to them "only if you can get it ready" and had given them six days notice.

Off goes a complaint to Honda. I paid £150 for an hour and half's work for someone to then have to correct issues with the bike the following day. 

Would I put in there for brakes? Like hell I will! Why pay them to have to get it double checked for piece of mind afterwards? 

I expected better and got worse. That'll teach me! 

Oh and if anyone is interested in the expanding foot thing for a side stand that Trisaki has for sale, we tried it and it does appear to fit the 2016 NC750S - so grab them whilst you still can!! 

• Like 4
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoppetM

• bazza

• MGR1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bazza - you haven't realized this is my first proper bike, and I am sure there was a point where you started out with zero knowledge and needed someone else to point out what was wrong.   I have had

Fair point Spindizzy- but in fact if you had read my comment you would see it was in response to Bonekickers comment about his wife refusing to take the car into the garage herself.   For many women

So I parted with £150 on Saturday.     Came back out of the showroom into the road and the bike lurched with it's rather unhappy rider from 1st to 2nd which frightened the life out of Andy following

Poppet I know you are a girl but really all those things should be self checked . Sure get someone to redtify  them for you if you dont want to -or aren't mechanical - but for peace of mind using a trye gauge and lifting the chain (maybe with gloves or using a long rod) should be a normal thing for all riders to do.

I bought some tyre pressure sensor caps to fit- they show red if the tyre goes down, green if ok. Havent fitted then yet but seemed a good idea for £3!  I am a bit paranoid about pressures -the wife's car has sensors that light up the dash if the pressure drops - bloody Renault ,even if its only 2psi!

But if it saves you crashing it's got to be a good idea

Why not get your hero to show you some basics - cook him a meal or get him a bottle - so you won't get caught again!

bazza

• Like 1

Who was the dealer? Were those problems there BEFORE it went to them or only appeared afterwards?

I'm no fan of dealers but seems strange for any dealer to be that inept.

Edited by nelmo
  • Like 1
Guest aldmannie

I went into my local Honda dealer last Friday to buy an ex-demonstrator which was supposed to have been made ready for last Wednesday.

I was told it had been dropped in a car park but any damage would be sorted and it would be supplied in as new condition.

They knew by the Wednesday I was definitely coming in on the Friday to do the deal.

When I got there on Friday afternoon the bike had not even been washed.

So after letting them wash it I took it for a test ride.

Then I had a good close look at it and seeing the poor condition it was in cosmetically I walked away.

Plan is to wait till spring then get a new one.

Probably from another dealer.

PoppetM

Who was the dealer? Were those problems there BEFORE it went to them or only appeared afterwards?

I'm no fan of dealers but seems strange for any dealer to be that inept.

I picked up the bike up three weeks ago with 0 miles on it. The pitching to the right feeling has been there since I first bought it home.

The tyres have been wearing more on the right judging by the fact I still have blue paint on the left of the front tyre, but that could be road camber to blame. 

The lurch and the issues with feeling all over the place was since I picked it up on Saturday after it's first 600 mile service (which had to be done at 874 miles because they were too busy). 

After tweaking it yesterday the handling feels a lot safer. 

It was Farnham Honda. I have heard a horror story involving new brakes falling apart from a local DVSA examiner who put his bike in there, but I went in there with an open mind figuring he may have just had a grudge. 

To be honest if it hadn't been for someone with a lot more knowledge than me looking at it, I would be none the wiser and would probably have decided the car was a safer commute. 

• Like 2
PoppetM

Poppet I know you are a girl but really all those things should be self checked . Sure get someone to redtify  them for you if you dont want to -or aren't mechanical - but for peace of mind using a trye gauge and lifting the chain (maybe with gloves or using a long rod) should be a normal thing for all riders to do.

I bought some tyre pressure sensor caps to fit- they show red if the tyre goes down, green if ok. Havent fitted then yet but seemed a good idea for £3!  I am a bit paranoid about pressures -the wife's car has sensors that light up the dash if the pressure drops - bloody Renault ,even if its only 2psi!

But if it saves you crashing it's got to be a good idea

Why not get your hero to show you some basics - cook him a meal or get him a bottle - so you won't get caught again!

bazza

Bazza - you haven't realized this is my first proper bike, and I am sure there was a point where you started out with zero knowledge and needed someone else to point out what was wrong.

I have had it only three weeks, brand new. Yes I agree anyone with a vehicle should self check it and at least know the basics and I fully intend to get to grips with the mechanics myself like I do on my car. I am not just a dumb blonde who plays with VAT returns and PI renewals in between filing her nails. 

When you pay that much for a brand new bike for it to be followed up be a chargeable dealership service within three weeks, I expect it to be done properly. I certainly don't expect to have to start checking my own tyres on their blinking forecourt!

I expect to be able to do a day or two mileage before putting my compressor and tyre gauge on it, yes I do have both and no I don't expect my husband to do it for me. 

Mark was extremely helpful in showing me how to do wheel alignment, how to measure the chain and what other bits to watch out for, where to put copper grease and ideas on how to protect the suspension in the winter. It was a very valuable lesson. Combined with the knowledge from my twin and others on this forum I hope to be proficient in caring for my bike myself. 

• Like 6
Grumpy old man

Hi Poppet

I agree entirely you shouldn't have to check on the work of qualified Honda Mechanics when you have just paid good money you should be able to expect good service, sadly not.Your not on your own I have also experienced shoddy work from my Honda dealers.

• Like 4
Guest bonekicker

PoppetM you should not be able or need to check and adjust anything on your bike--the dealer and mechanic should be totally ashamed of themselves--give you your money back-- and apologise in no uncertain terms-- the same dealers names keep coming up again and again--stay away --if they want to give very bad service and just rip you off--again stay away---and yes please complain to Mr Honda.

PoppetM--- the member who spent time and effort should be well and truly congratulated -- please tell us who it was--so we can all give him a big kiss and hug.

A Proper Forum and Proper Forum Members-- Always Help When You Can   :yes:

Guest bonekicker

Graham you did very right and walk away-- again bad service by a dont care dealer --there will be a very limited number of great and good Honda dealers soon.

And it's not dealer basing--it's the truth--over and over again.   Yes I am annoyed for you all that are treated in such a very bad way--and ripped off  :oldfart:

Guest Monty1952

All too often in a dealership it's the front desk service manager/person that controls the quality of work in the back. Mechanics if not properly supervised will cut corners and sales folks who you dealt with only have to get your ride out of the door to get paid. Not sure what happens in the UK but here Honda Canada national HQ send out satisfaction surveys after any visit. To get a certain status or qualification as a dealership they have to meet certain service standards amongst other things.

Andy m

I bought some tyre pressure sensor caps to fit- they show red if the tyre goes down, green if ok. Havent fitted then yet but seemed a good idea for £3! 

IMHO bin them. The schraeder valve in the tyre is closed by the air. The O-ring is compressed. Your 3 quid things use a barrel and rod with the O-ring rolling between. O-rings are not meant to roll and if they go the air will blow the bits out like peashooter not try and seal on the remains. There will be no TUV mark on 3 quid bits I bet?

Electronic TPM with wireless signals out of the tyre only have issues when they clash with each other (you'll find multistory carparks can mean your car thinks it has 11 wheels and gives up). Using the ABS sensors was best, but as it took half a mile to detect the low pressure wheel going faster was never greatly used.

I would be giving that service manager the grilling of his life.

Its a pity they don't do bike maintenance classes anymore. I'd bet many new rider would struggle with this stuff. Maybe something to organise? Anyone in Leeds want to learn new words not to be used in polite society that fit well after your knuckles touch the exhaust?

Andy

• Like 2
Spindizzy

This is the problem when you your beloved is wheeled away, you have no idea what is being done and by whom. You have a right to expect top notch service from a dealer. In my business shoddy work kills people, not that we need that reason to do honest work.

I could do my own servicing but was convenient to take it to Trisakis place as he has everything set up. Full service using original parts , everything checked against the manual plus a cuppa, decent chat and get to watch while the work is done. All very reasonably priced. 

Twitter is very useful at naming and shaming as is the dealers own website. You can also go direct to Honda with a formal complaint. Worth confronting the dealer first though, give them one chance to do the right thing.

• Like 1
Guest dentonlad

And for anyone who is having a bike repaired by 4th Dimension, the good news is they are owned by the Farnham Honda group........

I picked up the bike up three weeks ago with 0 miles on it. The pitching to the right feeling has been there since I first bought it home.

It should have been test ridden by them after the PDI was done! Edited by dentonlad
RussB644

Wow...don't like this, irrespective of who you are you expect a quality of service. Complaining to Honda has got to achieve something here as that just isnt good enough. OK the dealers have got a business to run, and they will charge for the service...but that's the keyword...service! I wouldn't be going back to them in the future having destroyed trust and confidence  :mad:

• Like 1
Andy m

A good old fashioned letter to trading standards could be in order? Service paid for but not given plus safety issues.

Andy

• Like 2
PoppetM

PoppetM--- the member who spent time and effort should be well and truly congratulated -- please tell us who it was--so we can all give him a big kiss and hug.

A Proper Forum and Proper Forum Members-- Always Help When You Can   :yes:

Mr Trisaki

PoppetM

I would be giving that service manager the grilling of his life.

Its a pity they don't do bike maintenance classes anymore. I'd bet many new rider would struggle with this stuff. Maybe something to organise? Anyone in Leeds want to learn new words not to be used in polite society that fit well after your knuckles touch the exhaust?

Andy

Hanging fire till I get a response. If it's not satisfactory the next email he will receive will be from my work email address which has the words "Solicitors" in the footer. I questioned him on Datatag. Correspondence from them said dealer was to fit the label which Police would want to see if I am pulled over. Turns out they don't fit it because owners don't like them. Hmm...why wasn't I asked?

Not convinced the noise I reported on the front wheel is the clutch cable "Mr Service Manager" assured me...feels and sounds like the brake to me. But hey, in his eyes I am just a woman. He was far more polite with my six foot husband behind me when we collected it.

And I would really be up for motorcycle mechanic lessons, might enquire at the local colleges who do mechanics.

Edited by PoppetM
  • Like 1
PoppetM

And for anyone who is having a bike repaired by 4th Dimension, the good news is they are owned by the Farnham Honda group........

It should have been test ridden by them after the PDI was done!

Definitely had 0 miles. And I doubt that inspection was done!
PoppetM

Maybe you should try this place

http://www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/

They do bike maintenance classes and you can rent a workbench for cheaper than a mechanic charges per hour in central London.

Perfect thank you!

Well done Mark (Trisaki) you're upholding the proud tradition of the brotherhood (make that 'sisterhood' too?) of motorcyclists. Good man!

• Like 3

wow what a lot of knights in shining armour us chaps are.

OK so may I suggest a posse of NC owners ride up to Farnham Honda, lasso the Service Manager and drag him outside, look for a tall tree and and .........

really anyone who has crap service MUST tell HONDA HQ - I can only heap praise on my Colwyn Bay dealer -but as already stated they will want to know - good and bad - so they can improve their delerships and sales

bazza

• Like 2
DaveM59

Can I just add this sort of practice is not confined to Honda by any means. It's endemic within the dealer chain in just about any brand which would point to a working practice amongst the trade that produces this poor service in a percentage of cases. Whether it be excess paperwork, complicated digital systems, sales techniques or just negligence I don't know but have experienced it through Piaggio dealers. The more complicated the vehicle the more it seems to happen, and cost of parts, labour and recovering warranty cost, all cause management accountants to look for savings and put staff under pressure. I doubt it's actual lack of knowledge or skills of the machanics, but distractions that create mistakes and omissions.

Bazza was right in that really any owner of a vehicle should have some basic knowledge of what they are driving/riding if they want to protect themselves from being badly served by the trade. Even if your knowledge is superficial an attitude that would indicate you know what you are talking about often helps get better service. Ask for help on such places as this is invaluable but never tell them where your source is or it really seems to put their back up.

trisaki

When I worked for a dealership -on the pdi we used to do between 3 and 6 miles on the road test after doing all the checks etc

• Like 1