1st service and #Fail for Honda

PoppetM

PoppetM

They're not scared, they just think you stood up to pass wind!

A blonde woman wobbling down the road on a bike that looks three times bigger than her and you wouldn't panic if I stood on my pegs?

At least we know what to watch out for when you ride :-)

• Like 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoppetM

• bazza

• MGR1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bazza - you haven't realized this is my first proper bike, and I am sure there was a point where you started out with zero knowledge and needed someone else to point out what was wrong.   I have had

Fair point Spindizzy- but in fact if you had read my comment you would see it was in response to Bonekickers comment about his wife refusing to take the car into the garage herself.   For many women

So I parted with £150 on Saturday.     Came back out of the showroom into the road and the bike lurched with it's rather unhappy rider from 1st to 2nd which frightened the life out of Andy following

Andy m

Its like they throw a dart at a dart board and hope for the best!

Prices are based on the point at which you DIY, don't bother and wait for it to drop to bits or go for the petrol and matches option. The dartboard is only used to produce part numbers to go on the invoice so it looks like the Flibulator Dongle they claim needed doing is real.

Mechanicing truely is the new IT (and I ask no forgiveness from all the loonies who won't believe their ABS will sort itself out if they drive it in a straight line after keying the ignition but will cheerfully pay for a "reset"). I saw it but not write the invoice for the flux capacitor for the customer who would not pay for sundries (wipes, grease etc.).

Get to know your mechanic and/or understand the basics.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
PoppetM

Well said!

He was just the salesman Bonekicker, not the service guy. Was obviously a slow day for him if he thought he could eek out the rest of his day informing me of his woes.

This is where I am thankful my own cars have been looked after by a gay mechanic for the past 15years. He calls me to say MOT is due, turns up at my home, asks if I have had any problems, whisks it away to the garage, comes back has a cuppa and a catch up with me and advises me everything he has done, and what to watch out for the next year ahead. There is no intimidation, and to be fair I only found out he was gay three years ago after he admitted it to my parents. (looks after the entire family fleet)

I have been spoiled by him, it's a shock to get handed an invoice without explanation from Piaggio and Honda, sorry but I want to know what you have done to it!

Nothing worse then walking into a garage and to feel intimidated. I don't stand for it at the tyre place.

i know we are supposed to be racially and sexually tolerant -all creeds and all that stuff -but that's a first for me - a gay mechanic. If he's like the interior decorators then Iwould expect a really good job -and a clean car returned to you .

I know you aren't mechanical but an engine is an engine - maybe ask your chap is he would like to learn to do simple things on the bike? Not may tools are "specilally needed" for the Nc so he couldn't do a worse job than your "t*sser dealer"- he might have a bike inclined mate as well

The older i get the easier it is to keep GOOD people -once you find them - that's tradesman in all jobs- just value them and pay them on time!

• Like 2
PoppetM

i know we are supposed to be racially and sexually tolerant -all creeds and all that stuff -but that's a first for me - a gay mechanic. If he's like the interior decorators then Iwould expect a really good job -and a clean car returned to you .

I know you aren't mechanical but an engine is an engine - maybe ask your chap is he would like to learn to do simple things on the bike? Not may tools are "specilally needed" for the Nc so he couldn't do a worse job than your "t*sser dealer"- he might have a bike inclined mate as well

The older i get the easier it is to keep GOOD people -once you find them - that's tradesman in all jobs- just value them and pay them on time!

Sadly he is now semi retired and these days only does the work on a few select cars/client's. But I may certainly ring him and check as he was a motorcyclist himself many moons ago.

PoppetM

I want to say good news, but I suspect not I should be extremely wary of this place. Had a call from Mr J at Honda. The one who hadn't enamored me with his charm, he was his usual brusque self.

J "I have received your disappointing email".

Me "I am disappointed, that's why I sent it"

J "So and So who did your service has done them for years" (really, he looked 18?) "I have spoken to him about it and we cannot understand how it's happened. He holds his hands up that if you say it wasn't done then it wasn't done. We would like to see you again so as a gesture of goodwill we would like to give you a full refund".

This smacks to me of guilt. There was no argument, no quibble, no we need to see the bike again. In his first sentence he went straight in and offered a full refund.

Me "I am disappointed and very lucky someone pointed out the issues with my bike, because let's face it we don't have air bags on them do we if the mechanic fails to do his job and something goes wrong. I was surprised to be told that all these things were wrong with it myself and my brother has pointed out to me that it sounds like the delivery inspection wasn't done. I am pretty sure Robert pointed out the 0 mileage on it"

J "I can assure you all of our bikes are road tested for 3 miles before being handed over".

Me "well as I intend to do 16,000 miles a year on it I intend to be fully up to scratch with the mechanics fairly soon"

J "Sounds like you plan on having fun on it"

*the noise of a bitter servicing manager who realises their error has just cost them two service visits per annum*

Spindizzy

This is/was an interesting thread, however making a comment that someones sexuality is any way relevant to their choice of occupation is utterly and completely irrelevant. 

Why be thankful you car mechanic is gay? Why not just say my car mechanic is reliable trustworthy and is respectful? 

Having a gay mechanic is a new thing  :blink: .....oh my. Probably because they didn't have a sign on their forehead to tell you they may actually be gay such that  you may be better informed, sheesh. Just based on demographics I can tell you that you have definitely met someone gay even if you didn't know.

I employ and continue to employ all manner of race, religion and sexual orientation, why? Because none of that has anything whatsoever to do with the competence and character of the individual.

Felt the thread needed this. 

Rant Over

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Like 4
PoppetM

This is/was an interesting thread, however making a comment that someones sexuality is any way relevant to their choice of occupation is utterly and completely irrelevant. 

Why be thankful you car mechanic is gay? Why not just say my car mechanic is reliable trustworthy and is respectful? 

Having a gay mechanic is a new thing  :blink: .....oh my. Probably because they didn't have a sign on their forehead to tell you they may actually be gay such that  you may be better informed, sheesh. Just based on demographics I can tell you that you have definitely met someone gay even if you didn't know.

I employ and continue to employ all manner of race, religion and sexual orientation, why? Because none of that has anything whatsoever to do with the competence and character of the individual.

Felt the thread needed this. 

Rant Over

Fair point Spindizzy- but in fact if you had read my comment you would see it was in response to Bonekickers comment about his wife refusing to take the car into the garage herself.

For many women it's an absolute nightmare approaching any garage or tyre fitment place. Perhaps you should go in drag, or ask your lady how she is dealt with when she goes into a garage. Is she intimidated? Is she talked down to? Is anything explained to her? Or do they just swipe her card and say "tell your husband..."

Just a shame that so many garages cannot deal with a female walking into their male environment. I was merely pointing out that My mechanic is the only one that doesn't actually make me feel like that. And before anyone could jump in and say "because he fancies you" I merely pointed out that he has no interest in woman.

And having been on the road some 15 years, I have come across a lot of chauvinistic pigs in these places that wrongly assume I am just a dolly bird with nothing between the ears.

Thus ending my Friday Rant. Think I will give this place a rest for a while.

Have a great weekend all!

Edited by PoppetM
  • Like 5

Great rant -both of you!

As humans we make judgement on people within about 5 seconds on meeting them -maybe from our cave man days - judge if safe to get close or die!  You cannot help it - so don't fight it.

As I said we shouldn't make judgements -but Poppet has had years of blokes assuming she knows nothing about mechanicals (ok they are right!)

I work the OTHER way -selling cookers, I assume it's the lady who is the cook -so i get it wrong!

So Spindizzy -and Poppet -  we can be surprised nicely,.like the general public who assume bikers are all uncouth and bite heads off chickens -personally I stop at small chicks!

bazza the tolerant

Edited by bazza
  • Like 1
Spindizzy

Thanks Bazza....... 

With regard to the opposite pole I was showing round a very well off Arabian chap (loaded investor) and he was taking pictures of one of our engineers. He was completely flabbergasted that we allowed a woman to work on an aircraft.

When I explained she was in charge of the inspection and had a team of 'men' under her command and that she was the signatory for release to service his eyes nearly fell out. Different cultures.

Also.....we got his investment and he got (from his perspective) a great story to take home.

• Like 1

Thanks Bazza....... 

With regard to the opposite pole I was showing round a very well off Arabian chap (loaded investor) and he was taking pictures of one of our engineers. He was completely flabbergasted that we allowed a woman to work on an aircraft.

When I explained she was in charge of the inspection and had a team of 'men' under her command and that she was the signatory for release to service his eyes nearly fell out. Different cultures.

Also.....we got his investment and he got (from his perspective) a great story to take home.

Did u read about the 2 girls who rode a sidecar outfit around the world? They almost created a riot in Iran (ok maybe a long time before all the latest wars) by getting out tools and doing some maintenance!  When I ran a sub aqua club we always found the girls were the best divers / used least air as their lungs were smaller ( or some other anatomical reason!)

larryblag

I do like an anatomical reason

Rocker66

Whilst agreeing with spindizzy's post I can see where PoppetM is coming from. Some years ago Sue was looking to buy a 500 so we went round the dealers to compare models. We went to Robinsons in Canterbury to look at the Suzuki GS500. Despite being told several times that it was Sue who was buying the bike with her money every time sue asked the salesman a question he insisted on telling me the answer. he also insisted on telling me twice that they did it in blue and white which would match my Furygan jacket. Needless to say Sue didn't buy a Suzuki

• Like 2

Why couldn't she get a blue and white jacket as well :0)

PoppetM

Whilst agreeing with spindizzy's post I can see where PoppetM is coming from. Some years ago Sue was looking to buy a 500 so we went round the dealers to compare models. We went to Robinsons in Canterbury to look at the Suzuki GS500. Despite being told several times that it was Sue who was buying the bike with her money every time sue asked the salesman a question he insisted on telling me the answer. he also insisted on telling me twice that they did it in blue and white which would match my Furygan jacket. Needless to say Sue didn't buy a Suzuki

They did the same in Honda. Addressed Andy. Zero point as other than wanting to clean it all the time he has no interest in bikes. Even when they were getting me to sit on it to test weight and size, they were talking at him. Definitely a man's world.

To be fair Woking Yamaha did't once he worked out the man in front of him whinging to go get breakfast had no interest in anything on two wheels and wasn't too enamoured with his wife buying one... he then aimed everything at me including follow up calls and emails to find out how the DAS was going. Sadly the R3 I was interested in wasn't compatible with my commute (I don't like back packs, have issues with my back) and the position wasn't great. Just heard this morning they have been recalled for an issue with oil pressure and clutch plates. 

PoppetM

I've ridden an R3 and it was fun, but completely and utterly hopeless as practical transport.

thats why I was headed towards a Maxiscoot until Honda showed me the nifty NC storage...

Rev Ken

When we were first married (over three life sentences ago) our only transport was a Vincent 1000 Rapide. SWMBO was 8 stone and had a red fitted motorcycle suit that was very 'fetching'. Unfortunately the Vinny's rear cylinder occasionally oiled up the plug so I took it out and asked if she would take it into the garage we had stopped at to get it sand blasted as I needed the loo. When I came out the mechanic was outside watching her walk down the road, passing a couple of scooters and stopping at our bike. She was refitting the plug when I passed the mechanic and I've never seen such a surprised and shocked face as I doubt if there would be many girls who could handle a Vincent, not only due to its weight, but because kick-starting it took a lot of beef! (A lot more girls ride today, and the girls on this forum show how it is done!

I thought I ought to stop at a scooter to complete his confusion, but we went on our way.

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 1

When we were first married (over three life sentences ago) our only transport was a Vincent 1000 Rapide. SWMBO was 8 stone and had a red fitted motorcycle suit that was very 'fetching'. Unfortunately the Vinny's rear cylinder occasionally oiled up the plug so I took it out and asked if she would take it into the garage we had stopped at to get it sand blasted as I needed the loo. When I came out the mechanic was outside watching her walk down the road, passing a couple of scooters and stopping at our bike. She was refitting the plug when I passed the mechanic and I've never seen such a surprised and shocked face as I doubt if there would be many girls who could handle a Vincent, not only due to its weight, but because kick-starting it took a lot of beef! (A lot more girls ride today, and the girls on this forum show how it is done!

I thought I ought to stop at a scooter to complete his confusion, but we went on our way.

I had a 1949 Rapide once myself. I recall I could stand on the kick-start with all my weight, against the compression, without it going down, Had to use the valve lifter to be able to kick it around.