barryw333

fitting sub harness and accessories

barryw333

Just ordered the sub harness and relay kit for my 2015 X. Does anyone have any instructions on how to fit them. I have a pair of generic heated grips also, will I need anything else apart from some suitable connectors to fit the harness?

Thanks in advance

Monty1952

I just had the sub harness and relay fitted to my 2016 NC750X. It was part of the purchase deal or would have done it myself. Now to the male end of the connectors to the sub harness. I could not find them anywhere and Honda themselves don't sell them. Anyway I was going to hook up the Garmin GPS myself to the sub harness and the dealership offered to do it for me for nothing. They simply cut the harness connector off and joined wires together asking me first if I thought I would want ability to disconnect wiring. No was the answer so that's why they went ahead. I was going to do the same using PosiConnect for a clean connection. It's simple two wires and not complicated. Instructions here if you don't get with equipment. http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx Based on my experience allow probably 2-2.5 hours as panels take time.

• Like 1

burdicda

I have a 2016 CTX700DG DCT ABS w/fairing and I participate here because there is so much in common between the two bikes.

I just purchased the harness/sub harness and did the work myself. The connectors are available everywhere for very cheap if you just look around the forums for them, but no one is using them...I cut off all of them except one (saving it in case I decide to get the factory heated grips)...I am an electronic person and hard soldered a 12 volt power socket and installed it in the glove box, I also hard soldered two more 6 Ft dual sae/bullet connectors and ran them up to the handlebars and wire tied them under the left speaker cowl for future use. If you are a do it yourself kind of person I would highly recommend you do it yourself as I found alot of parts installed or positioned wrong and learned alot about my bike and so glad I did. I purchased the eklipses dual power handlebar mount (12volt socket and usb socket with light indicator) and wired it directly to the battery....I loved it...If there are any specifics you want to know just message me back here and I will provide #'s and how-to's as best I can...

• Like 1

larryblag

+1 Burdica.

Electrical work I had done by a dealer was not up to the standard I was happy with (seems to be a bit of a weak area for them). It's often no more difficult to do the job properly myself but it's my area of expertise I suppose.

In-line connections are hard to make neatly and any disconnectable solution has to withstand the rigours of the weather. I tend to use the "hard wired" method where appropriate, insulating the soldered joint with heatshrink sleeving and then applying self-amalgamating tape to finish off (the rubber stuff that sticks to itself after a few hours).

Edited by larryblag

barryw333

So back to the original question, where does the relay and fuse go and what connects where for the harness? Thanks!

• Like 1

Grumpy Meltdown

So back to the original question, where does the relay and fuse go and what connects where for the harness? Thanks!

The relay and fuse both plug into the fuse box. Found behind the battery cover in the frunk.

At the top. I believe the positions are marked on the inside of the fuse cover.

I have the 700X and if the 750 is the same, the connector you need to find is pushed into a bracket at the bottom left of the frunk underside. You need to remove the side panel to get to it.

If you google "NC700 sub harness" you'll get pics and all the threads on here too.

There is one that mentions a link to find the correct male connectors and what connects to what.

I think this is the one...

http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/8353-sub-harness-and-relay/?hl=connectors#entry89332

Edited by CFB
  • Like 1

arengle

I just had the sub harness and relay fitted to my 2016 NC750X. It was part of the purchase deal or would have done it myself. Now to the male end of the connectors to the sub harness. I could not find them anywhere and Honda themselves don't sell them. Anyway I was going to hook up the Garmin GPS myself to the sub harness and the dealership offered to do it for me for nothing. They simply cut the harness connector off and joined wires together asking me first if I thought I would want ability to disconnect wiring. No was the answer so that's why they went ahead. I was going to do the same using PosiConnect for a clean connection. It's simple two wires and not complicated. Instructions here if you don't get with equipment. http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx Based on my experience allow probably 2-2.5 hours as panels take time.

You can buy the connector on that auction site is a 3pin connector, I used to connect my gps without the need to destroy the sub-harness
  • Like 1

sykospain

All this is dealt with in the "Electrical" section of this forum - including Fred's advice as to where to source the correct Hitachi connectors.

I got mine from Towzatronics for a similar very cheap price.

But to me it seems a bit cavalier for any dealer's shop tecnico to say "I'll just lob off this OEM loom connector to make it easier to do the job..."

Fitting these two Honda accessory cables is covered in clear detail on a couple of different U-Toob videos and the procedure is clearly step-by-stepped in this 7-page document from Honda's Dealer Maintenance archives :-

Honda Accessories Socket Sub Harness instructions.pdf

Edited by sykospain
  • Like 1

barryw333

Thank you every one for your input

• Like 1

barryw333

All this is dealt with in the "Electrical" section of this forum - including Fred's advice as to where to source the correct Hitachi connectors.

I got mine from Towzatronics for a similar very cheap price.

But to me it seems a bit cavalier for any dealer's shop tecnico to say "I'll just lob off this OEM loom connector to make it easier to do the job..."

Fitting these two Honda accessory cables is covered in clear detail on a couple of different U-Toob videos and the procedure is clearly step-by-stepped in this 7-page document from Honda's Dealer Maintenance archives :-

Can you tell me which connectors on their website are the correct ones?

burdicda

Interestingly enough...I purchased the relay with fuse kit to prepare for the harness/sub-harness install..but when I was all done I opened the fuse box and the relay and fuse were already installed at the factory on mine...a 2016 CTX700DG (G meaning 2016) DCT ABS with fairing...

• Like 1

dcordeiro

I'll have to have a look at my new Integra 2016 to check if I'll need the fuse/relay kit before cashing in.

DaveM59

The early Integra doesn't need additional fuses and relays, all the wires are already live in the socket on the loom. The wiring on the Integra is totally different to the S and X and the fusebox is different as well, also harder to get to.

sykospain

Yes Barry - as David in Portugal pointed you - these are the correct plugs/sockets called "Hitachi" in the trade.  I got a few sets in red to show where I'd modded the loom outlet.  Keep the OEM plastic bucket to protect all the bunch of connectors against any rain drips that might slide down the back of the Frunk in front of the driver's seat.

https://towzatronics.com/shop/electrical-connectors/mini-2-8mm/mini-latch-wiring-connector-set-2-8mm-2-way/

Hitachi%20pl%20amp%20sock%20from%20Towza

Danny in Florida - that CTX700D of yours is a lovely-looking machine - they do it in Europe and the (formerly Europe) United Kingdom, but in the 750cc version.  By the way, I've asked this question before of 'foreign' correspondents and never got an answer - why can't Honda import the 750cc range of bikes into the USA ?  Is there some capacity or power issue for the US tax authorities ?

Edited by sykospain

929bladerunner

I'm a bit confused, can somebody answer a question about the sub harness please....

Are the 12v switched power feeds from the 3 accessory connectors LIVE once they have been attached to the bike's 6 pin socket and the ignition is switched on?

Or....do need to buy and fit the associated Honda fuse and relay in order to make them live?

I purchased wiring which included a fuse, relay and handlebar switch for a set of Cree LED lights so all I need is to connect to a switched power supply.

ste7ios

Yes, you need both the relay and the fuse...

wendeg

If you are connecting the lights directly to the Honda sub-harness you need to put the Honda relay and fuse (bought separately) in the fuse box. In this way the sub-harness is switched on when ignition is on. Without a relay and fuse, the sub-harness is dead all the time.

Alternatively, you may use the relay and fuse you bought with the Cree LED lights and tap into a switched live of your choice... either from a wire powering brake/plate/front light or one of the wire/connectors from the sub-harness AFTER you have put the Honda relay and fuse in the fuse box.

929bladerunner

Thank you  Stelios and Lawrence. I was beginning to think this was the case and was looking for confirmation.

I'm just a bit disappointed that, when I explained to my Honda dealer what I intended to do I was sold the sub harness with no mention of the fuse and relay :(

If I can readily find and identify a switched live I would do that but if not I will go back to Honda and get the fuse and relay.

Out of interest, what route did you two take if you have fitted accessories?   

wendeg

My Gps is powered through the Honda sub-harness + fuse + relay. Scottoiler is powered directly from the battery since it needs an always-on live. I'm in the process of fitting the auxiliary lights... I will power them directly from the battery and will tap from the switched GPS live rather thanusing one of the three connectors of the sub-harness.