16k Service

dazznutts

dazznutts

Am i unlucky agin 3rd time ive used the same Kent dealer to service my bike and another disaster has happened

The bottom radiator bracket stud aparently snapped because of corrosion when dealer removed radiator for valve

adjustment.

A question on this matter who is at fault 

The dealer/mechanic

Honda for having an alloy stud in a place that is 100% going to suffer with corrosion

Or my fault for not making sure that area has been cleaning from road crud

Dealer says it has to be drilled out and can not give a time frame to how long long drop could take

Guest bonekicker

dazznutts --- how many times-- do you have to be?? convinced not to keep going there??? and who's fault?? did the mechanic use any WD40 to try and stop this from breaking ?? or just ham fistedly broke it??

Questions--Questions--and who knows the Answers??

It sounds really technical--drilling out a broken stud--have they not done it before?? are they capable of doing it?? most engineers would have no problem at all--and not think twice about doing it.!!!! But these days they are just grease monkeys.    Sorry if it offends anyone  :baby:  No i'm not --they are!!! Sorry Some Are.--best to be PC every now and again.  :angel:

dazznutts

After the last visit I got a good response - on previous visit the front brake calliper studs were rounded off which they agreed to replace on my next visit but hey ho they have only changed one and in chrome not black, and I had recall work to do on the starter motor.

I have also put in a warranty request for a new radiator where the dealer has said to me to ask Honda if they can do anything reference the snapped stud.

I'll bite my lip until this radiator gets sorted out before I have another moan

• Like 1
outrunner

As bonekicker said, how can it be a problem for a dealer to drill out a broken stud? Any decent mechanic with basic skills could do that in 10 mins max, time for you to get another outfit to service your bike.

Andy.

• Like 2

Well to be honest if the stud was corroded how is it the dealers fault . If it wasn't then yes it's down to ham fisted ness ( is that a word) . Are you the fastidious type who cleans methodically or more like the rest or are a bit hit and miss ? They should-could have alerted you to this before tackling it so you knew . This would have been a better option rather then you feeling like you've been had

Guest bonekicker

I was told quite clearly by Honda customer care--that if the dealer thought it could be a warranty claim--he could authorize the work--and if he pasted the problem on to the customer--then the required work would probably not be warranty work and payable--did they not even give you a price for fixing the broken stud--but then they will want to fit a new radiator--have a look for a second hand--on that E site. :ermm:  

dazznutts

i initially got a phone to say bike was ready for collection there was no pre-call or any mention of when they did call me about the broken/corroded stud.

I appreciate that its not the dealers fault as such but surely i should of been advised about this not just being told about it when paying the bill and being invited to rebook bike in for work to be done.

On previous quote i give the bike a clean not OTT clean the bits i can see - the area were this stud is located is open to all the crud from the front wheel.

On looking at front of bike this bracket would have to be removed for removing the radiator and to provide access for the spark plugs

so will try and get honda to cover the work under warranty.

Guest aldmannie

Any bolts which have to be undone for routine servicing should be made of a suitable material and installed in such a way that they won't seize.

Bean counters spec low quality cheesey bolts and pdi not done properly by lazy mechanics or dealers who don't give them enough time.

Is this the steel bolt that fixes the lower radiator bracket to the engine or is it the welded on (I'm assuming aluminium) peg/stud that is on the radiators bottom edge (this plugs into the rubber grommet in the top of the radiator lower bracket) you are refering to? If it's the one on the radiator you may need a new radiator.

dazznutts

Is this the steel bolt that fixes the lower radiator bracket to the engine or is it the welded on (I'm assuming aluminium) peg/stud that is on the radiators bottom edge (this plugs into the rubber grommet in the top of the radiator lower bracket) you are refering to? If it's the one on the radiator you may need a new radiator.

yes it is that bracket the rubber grommet is fine and it was an alloy bolt hence snapped when mechanic has removed it.

With reference to the radiator I have requested a new one under warranty as the paint has come off on side completely and started to peel around the rest of it.