Random vibration and noise...

PoppetM

PoppetM

Can't quite figure out where this is coming from.

Used rear brake into my road last night, felt a vibration through the foot and heard a squeak.

Checked the springs, pressed on the pedal nothing obvious. Assumed my boot was rubbing somewhere.

This morning on m3 in traffic, same again when trailing rear brake.

Coming home not so much until near the end of the journey.

So either...

I am jabbing it too hard

It doesn't like rear brake operation with front brake

Or haven't got my revs up and the whole thing is unhappy with my clutch/throttle/brake

Any ideas or experiences? Can't really see the rear pads and it feels like it's coming from around my right foot...

Have heard a few people say it takes a few thousand miles to bed in the brakes. I am at 1500 miles (ish)

I would have said check the pads but you only done 1500 so thats not gonna be it try putting some sopper greas on the back of the pad the piston side

Rev Ken

You may have picked up some grit on your brake pads, that would make them 'squeak'. Check your rear disc to see if there are any grooves in it (light markings are normal). sometimes there is vibration on the first application due to surface rust if the previous ride was in the rain, but I note that it was in the way home, so unlikely unless you hadn't operated your rear brake until then. There is one other possibility I can think of and that is if you only use very light rear braking the pads may have become 'polished' and that again is a cause of squeaking, but although fairly common with drum brakes it is less likely with disc brakes. The cure is to apply them firmly to take off the polished surface. I am of course presuming you weren't standing on your bake to get the ABS working!

Is it still doing it?

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 1
PoppetM

No rain, so if it hadn't done it on the way home Moisture could have been a cause was a real thick fog this ,owning so lots of moisture.

Will give that a whirl in the morning and check for grooves.

I wasn't stopping in a hurry, just crawling, but I do have a heavy right foot.

Thank you! (At least it still works!)

Edited by PoppetM
PoppetM

Good so nothing to worry about.... Have activated it on the car before and actually yeah would be the same judder. Will be lighter with my foot!

Edited by PoppetM

I agree with machinman. The rear ABS seems really easy to activate on the NC unintentionally. Done it a couple of times myself (sigh).

• Like 1
PoppetM

That's fine, it's nice to know it works.

Was worried something wasn't screwed on correctly and I don't want to find that out in the fast lane if a motorway.

Reading the Google reviews on the dealership mine is not the first to come out without being checked, hence my constant panic over every noise, and saw my DAS instructor over the weekend and his Fireblade came out of there with no oil!

Couldn't bear calling then husband to say there is a fault with this bike after all the problems with the last one, he would go mad!