ABS light

Guest Gazza53

Guest Gazza53

Hi,

My ABS light has started to flash after changing the rear tyre.

Anybody got any ideas why or is there a fix to put out the light?

The brakes work fine

Cheers Gazza

trisaki

Have you knocked the abs ring on the wheel or distorted it

i went to a lot of trouble getting my ring trued and a new sensor wired in -what a job! Turned out an idiot had fitted the sensor the wrong side of the caliper -too far away - i have smacked my hand and it said it won't do it again!

• Like 1

Yes there is a bracket to clip the sensor wire. Fit bolts thro bracket then thro sensor.

If you do it other way round the sensor is too far away, and you will squash a pin on the bracket. Bend it back again!

Andy m

The sensor is just a coil of wire that the polewheel induces an AC style sine wave in. This is 100% related to the wheel removal. So, check,

Air gap the same as the front one with no run out. Should be about 0.2mm. They'll work at 1mm but get arsey.

Polewheel free from dings, teeth filled with crud etc.

Resistance the same as the front one. 24V ones are about 120 Ohms.

NOT grounded to the frame by crushing, bending, pulling etc.

If the plug has been off set the meter to AC, yes, AC like a house we are making a jungle oscilloscope, and spin the wheel. 30 rpm makes a steady AC voltage, about 0.5 VAC on a CV one.

After that, I wouldn't mess, get the disgnostics on it. I've spent hours on the phone with tight**** loonies who've spend hours and swapped every part only to find the ECU had just picked today as the day it would fall out with the battery. It isn't worth the mess, the ECU will tell you what it thinks the pronlem is.

Andy

Andy m

Edit to add : check airgap runout/float with the wheel on the ground if you can. Checking it on the jack then watching the bearing crumble as you lower it is a schoolboy error. I have a T-shirt.

Andy