Maybe Damaged Rims on the NC750 X/S 2016

Guest Frank

Hi,

I'm from Germany, 48 years old and bought the S two month ago. I really like the bike but I'm not sure how to handle

the situation right now. Me (or I - never know) and other drivers found a lot of strange marks on our rims.

Bad paint job, material defect - we don't know!

See pics, sorry my cam is not the best and the first pic is from another NC750 2016. Hm, don't know how to upload pics here

felgefij7v62met_thumb.jpg

felge2ay4ow1uj7s_thumb.jpg

felge3u28g74ie1d_thumb.jpg

felge4obx8h6faiw_thumb.jpg

felge5rtc2uk9xwz_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks

Frank

Edited by Frank
Mike5100

Yes I have noticed them on my 2016 X.  They seem like defects in the casting of the alloy wheel, but may be only paint defects - it's difficult to tell.

Mike

Those are almost certainly casting defects, sometimes known as "cold shuts" when severe though it is more likely just skinning. It's what happens when the molten alloy begins to solidify early and forms a skin attached to a part of the mould, and the rest of the pour then travels over it to complete the fill of the mould. This leaves the tell-tale "skin flap" edge as shown in the pics.

Usually this is not a structural issue, but it can potentially cause stress concentrations and weakness at the edge. It is definitely not good casting practice, and if a component design is prone to doing it there are various measures the foundry and designer can take to minimise it (flow rates, mould temp, surface detail like cross-hatching etc).

Personally if I saw that on a wheel I'd reject it.

Edited by embee
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info, Murray. What I know about casting metal you could write on the back of a postage stamp (and still have room to add your name..). If those were my wheels I would be very unhappy. As in 'knocking on my dealer's door' unhappy.

I already called my dealer and told him that I come by at saturday so that he can have a closer look at it.

There are some other 2016 NC's lets see if it is the same with them 

I cleaned my bike last week, also the rims and didn't see it, just as someone wrote about it.

I wish I could undone my reading - grrrrr

@Tex

Thanks for the welcome

I think I'm too old to learn the grammer right. Never got it in my head at school and I don't need English very often.

Me (or I - never know) and other drivers found a lot of strange marks on our rims

after I saw the youtube clip it's wrong, should be "I" cuz you say

"I found a lot of strange marks on our rims"

Edited by Frank

No matter what, don't think about those rims when on the autobahn  :D

On a more serious note, Honda's legendary quality standards are, well legendary. I haven't inspected my NC with too much scrutiny yet, but my friends who bought the new AT (CRF1000) are complaining about rusting spokes, stuck switch gear and malfunctioning heated grips, to mention just a few of their gripes :(

Mike5100

No matter what, don't think about those rims when on the autobahn  :D

On a more serious note, Honda's legendary quality standards are, well legendary. I haven't inspected my NC with too much scrutiny yet, but my friends who bought the new AT (CRF1000) are complaining about rusting spokes, stuck switch gear and malfunctioning heated grips, to mention just a few of their gripes :(

Yes Marek - I am on the Africa Twin forum as well (because I nearly bought one but decided on another NC750).  You would have thought Honda would have got the NC team to work very closely with the Africa Twin team.  Many of the components look the same so it's unfathomable why the heated grips don't work.  Amd the NC team sorted out all the DCT problems years ago.  The corroding spokes thing is tricky - doesn't look like Honda are rushing to solve it and since mny people don't have a problem it's got to be a batch issue.

Mike

Mike5100

The wheels are the same as the 2012 and 2014 models aren't they - they are probably just the same but with them being black nobody has noticed the imperfections before.

Mike

Will look at my 2014 rims now for that :(   Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Guest dentonlad

Spokes rusted on my Crosstourer....the dealer put a warranty claim in on them after they had taken the bike in part ex against the Crossrunner so the next owner had brand new wheels!

Years ago I seem to remember Yamaha having wheel casting issues on the XS LTD. They sent some for crack testing and quickly did a recall and changed the wheels for new. If I remember right an American rider sued after a rear wheel failure. I shall keep an eye on my rims as although only a month old it has only a months warranty as its a used machine.

Mike5100

Years ago I seem to remember Yamaha having wheel casting issues on the XS LTD. They sent some for crack testing and quickly did a recall and changed the wheels for new. If I remember right an American rider sued after a rear wheel failure. I shall keep an eye on my rims as although only a month old it has only a months warranty as its a used machine.

errrrm - is that right?  Surely Honda are not offering the 2 year warranty only to the first purchaser.

Mike

• Like 1
Rocker66

As Mike5100 says the Honda 2 year warranty is transferable.

• Like 1

As Mike5100 says the Honda 2 year warranty is transferable.

Abso-bloody-lutely! There's a space in the warranty booklet for subsequent owner(s).

Didn't BMW have a issue with cracks in their cast wheels many years ago? I seem to remember a slight change of design with a reinforcing rib on the cast spoke, I also had a Suzuki that suffered from the same, although that was after market wheels,

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I sorted the Honda warranty issue, the younger sales guy was incorrect. The older guy sorted it out immediately. The BMW cast wheels problem effected the early Kaeries K100, I had the later three spoke wheels on my K1100 but later had the early wheels on a early low miles K750 which I watched like a hawk.

Guest Monty1952

Heated grip problems are so bad they have stooped offering them as an option to buyers of new bikes while they source a new supplier. I am eating for mine on the bike I ordered in June but have been told it may be next summer before then can supply them. Yes a year late and Honda Canda don't even care. I may well go for the Oxford grips if late fall or early winter temps and the hand guards don't play nice.

ONTWOWHEELS62

Heated grip problems are so bad they have stooped offering them as an option to buyers of new bikes while they source a new supplier. I am eating for mine on the bike I ordered in June but have been told it may be next summer before then can supply them. Yes a year late and Honda Canda don't even care. I may well go for the Oxford grips if late fall or early winter temps and the hand guards don't play nice.

Very sorry to hear about that because winter is coming.

Do you know what is the problem with the OEM heated grips?

...Do you know what is the problem with the OEM heated grips?

Apparently the module responsible for displaying the chosen heating level on the bikes' clocks. At least that is what was diagnosed for the new Africa Twin.

Heated grips is just some metal wire and electric current. 47 years after the first manned moon landing, even Honda should have this sorted out  :D

Mike5100

Apparently the module responsible for displaying the chosen heating level on the bikes' clocks. At least that is what was diagnosed for the new Africa Twin.

Heated grips is just some metal wire and electric current. 47 years after the first manned moon landing, even Honda should have this sorted out  :D

Hmmmm ... On the Africa Twin it wasn't a problem with the display, it was just that they were only getting mildly warm.  And it does seem strange that Honda pulled the accessory from the NC range as AFAIK none of us have had a problem with them.

And Whilst at £300 they can hardly be classed as good value they are excellently integrated with the bike both in terms of physically through the built in switch but also the way they display the level, one touch cycling through and a memory of what setting you had them on last.  Oh yeah and they also function as a voltmeter (or rather a warning if your battery is being depleted)

Mike

Edited by Mike5100
  • Like 1
Guest sykospain

Frank - welcome.  You might think we've drifted a bit off-topic by now.

That's often the charm of this forum.  Hope to hear more from you in Germany.

But for sure, go back to your dealer if you bought a brand-new bike !

Edited by sykospain

Hmmmm ... On the Africa Twin it wasn't a problem with the display...

I didn't write that there was "a problem with the display". I wrote that there was a problem with the "module responsible for displaying the chosen heating level on the bikes' clocks".

AT's heated grips were Honda's first attempt at integrated hand grips (grips - steering - display) and the addition of electronics proved too difficult to manage  :D 

...it was just that they were only getting mildly warm...

Yes, but this is a consequence, not a cause.

Guest aldmannie

Hmmmm ... On the Africa Twin it wasn't a problem with the display, it was just that they were only getting mildly warm

Over a number of years there have been a good few complaints on scooter forums of the exact same problem with Honda OEM heated grips, with the general concensus being they're simply not fit for purpose.