Handle Bar Vibration

Guest worligig

Guest worligig

Hi all, quick question

I'm new to this motorclycling as just passed my test 4 weeks ago, last riding 30 years ago on a Suzuki GT 50,

I have picked up the new 2016 NC750XA, Ridden about 300 miles and recently noticed that  i can only comfortably ride for 20 minutes before my fingers start tingling from handlebar vibration. 

I'm just wondering if this is common for the NC ? Or is it something i should get looked at?

Edited by worligig
Guest Monty1952

As your new to biking (again) and new to the NC bike are you sure it's not tension from you gripping too tightly? I had the same on my last bike as a newbie but found that loosening on the grip eliminated it 100% once someone told me.

Also check your tyre pressures are not too high.

Grumpy old man

Hi 

I get a slight vibe at certain speeds I thought that was to be expected listening to other riders on different bikes.

Guest bonekicker

G they as been quite a lot of posts in the past--about the very same issue--there was no answer to it--yes members did have the same slight problem--some added extra weights to handlebars--but by the time you've put all your extras on--that seems to do the trick--and as Colin says you need to relax --just a little on hold the bars---not too much though--let us know how you get on -- the NC is a great bike--so dont let this little problem spoil it for you.  :console:

I have the same Problem. Tuned the fork with YSS-System. The problem increased with mounting handgards (weight). So, I connected both sides of the handlebar with selfmade brace. But I´m looking for Enduro-handlebar, which will fit.

Thomas

Clearly a personal thing.

Compared to 20+ bikes I have had in the past, NC's handlebars do not vibrate or the vibration is minimal (non issue).

My set-up: OEM handlebars, original anti-vibration inserts removed, larger but not heavier bar-end weights, Polisport hand-guards and 20mm bar risers. 

To reduce vibrations you can try to fill the handlebar with soft airgun pellets made of steel. Dosnt need it om my NC750X (good vibrations) but on my previous Xj 900 i suffered from high frequency vibrations and this reduced them. (I also used some grease and WD-40).

• Like 1

To reduce vibrations you can try to fill the handlebar with soft airgun pellets made of steel. Dosnt need it om my NC750X (good vibrations) but on my previous Xj 900 i suffered from high frequency vibrations and this reduced them. (I also used some grease and WD-40).

Hi Jan, welcome to the forum. Great idea (the air gun pellets). When a rider complained of vibration through the clip on 'bars on the Isle of Man we filled them with old lead wheel balancing weights!

This may not be a solution, just an observation...

On my ER5 I replaced the steel bars with Renthal aluminium bars and found I no longer needed the bar end weights.

Zero noticeable vibrations. The alu bars seem to be less 'springy' than the steel ones and just don't vibrate the same.

Just my 2€.

Guest technophebe

I recently added hand guards to my NC and did notice an increase in vibrations. I don't find it to be an issue even with the increase, certainly not painful. However I do remember having tingly fingers for the first couple of months when I started riding last year.

My other thought is, harmonics in a complex machine can be funny; try shifting some of the stuff that's attached to the handlebars a couple of mm (you should be able to do this by hand without resorting to loosening anything with tools). If a vibration from the engine is hitting a harmonic in the bars, even a small shift of weight can eliminate that harmony and make a big difference (if it is a harmony causing the issue).

suffolk58

I'm with Colin on this one...

I've trained a number of newer riders who complain of hand pains. When they try a lighter grip on the bars (hardly any grip at all is needed) the pain goes away.

If you get pains across the back of the hands, try something like "Grip Puppies" as the original grips I find rather slender (I've got big hands).

A tip for sports bike riders who complain of painful wrists, is to do a number of sit ups every day. Building up the stomach muscles soon cures the problem. :D

Guest worligig

Thanks for all the tips peeps, 

I did take it back to the dealer today for them to give it a once over. One of the chaps there that has an older NC and suggested he took mine for a ride,  after 15 min's he came back and rode it straight into the maintenace shop, then took it out again 10 minutes later , on his return he said that he hadn't noticed any major issue, though said he'd asked to have everything on the front end be tightened up.

I feel this has improved the issue, as I was able to ride 30 minutes plus with no problems, which made for a much more enjoyable day out. ( I am also using softer grip instead of holding on for dear life :ahappy:) I'll see how I get on over the next month or so and also after the first service ,

Standing still the bars still rumble but I feel this must just be the throng of the engine. Overall am loving this machine and am so glad that I'm living my mid life to the full :ahappy:  wish i'd done it 20 years ago :ahappy: Cheers everyone

Edited by worligig
Rednc750se

I have fitted grip puppies to my bikes and find them to be very comfortable.

Hi I don't know how old or the mileage of your machine but I have just done 200 miles in a day on my NC 750 and did not notice any obtrusive vibration with the bars. ( You will get some vibration ) BMW had to rubber mount the bars on the K1100 as the engine was not known for being smooth. During my ride I had to use the heated grips and really gripped the bars in order to warm my hands up and still didn't notice anything. The fact the mechanic took your bike into the workshop and "tightened up the front end " tells me he did possibly notice something.

Vibration through the bars may not be engine related. But a few cheap things you can do may identify the cause. Ensure the engine mounting bolts are tight and check exhaust mounts.

Check the front wheel is not buckled and that it is in line with the rear.

Check the front tyre is seated correctly on the front wheel rim and check for high spots also the front tyres condition as well as looking for flat spots on the tread caused by hard braking on standing in one spot for some time.

Check the tyre pressure.

Check the wheel bearings for roughness or free play.

Check you have the correct oil level and oil type in the fork tubes.

Check the front forks for free play and also the head race bearings for wear and stiffness

Check the fork action up and down.

Check the rear swing arm and rear wheel bearings

Check the condition of the drive chain for tight spots and the sprockets condition.

None of the above will cost anything to check but worth doing to illiminate possibly cause.

Guest worligig

Thank's Mac,

When i wrote the first post i'd done 300 miles on a september 2016 model, I've been out again today and still notice the vibration, its more noticeable in 6th gear. and I think this is what's causing the tingling fingers as on a long journey I'm in this gear for the most part.(still only up to 30 mins) though it even appears to rumble on tick over, and being a newbie I'm not sure if this is normal. it'll go in for it's first service soon and maybe they'll notice something then (one can hope, as it's a lovely bike and a pleasure to ride apart form this aspect.)  

it's also been suggested that I may have just picked up a problem bike as apparently it can happen but I'm still not sure. And am great full  of any further advice,  

....I've been out again today and still notice the vibration, its more noticeable in 6th gear.... 

What mode are you riding (D, S1, S2 or S3) ?

What is your speed when DCT up-shifts to 6th gear ?

In "D" mode, the default revs are ridiculously low, so the engine struggles and work is uneven. This may be "interpreted" as excessive vibration.

Use "S" modes, ride the bike harder. DCT will adapt and switch gears at higher revs / speed. For example, my bike, in "S1" mode up-shifts to 6th gear at about 120 km/h.

Guest worligig

Hi Marek,

I haven't got the DCT version my is clutch driven, but yes I am in very low rev's at the moment as was suggested i keep rev's under 4000 for the first 600 miles to run it in, it does seem a lot chunkier in 6th gear though there's a definite difference, am persevering, don't wanna give up yet  :ahappy:  

larryblag

If its new, it'll improve tremendously once it's run in.

Hiya

my bike is 2016 750x manual shift and had 700 miles showing last week,now on 900 miles. No disconcerting vibration. I hope this dosn't sound condescending as I don't know your riding experience, but I am thinking you may need to take it into your dealer again to register your concerns early so they don't put it down to rider error. On tickover my bike is very smooth with little or no vibration and the engine sounds sweet no rumbling. !

In top you can ride all day at 70 mph and it is only doing about 3,300rpm or close to that. I work the engine, not hard but steadily and change gear before the red line segments. "Lugging " the engine and being very gentle at too low a revs is as bad as revving it's nadgers off.

Back in the days of my youth a twin cylinder 750cc was a big engine, Norton, Enfield, Triumph they all needed to get some reciprocal mass spinning down below. Let your dealership know it's a vibrator and then take it for a short ride and open the taps a little through the gears and see if it makes a difference.

It shouldn't rumble on tickover, listen to the engine running by putting a screw driver on the engine case and place your ear to the handle,also do the same on the clutch case and get a friend to pull and release the clutch lever a few times, then if nothing sounds wrong do the same on an identical machine to compare. I suspect you may have a problem that Honda San needs to look at. With two balance shafts down stairs the 2016 NC 750 lump is not a vibratory engine. If it is intrusively vibey stick to your guns and let them know.

Guest sykospain

Actually G, for me the low down rumble of this wonderful low-revving twin motor is an attraction as a contrast to the throb of a BMW boxer motor or the whine of a high-revving 4-cylinder.

And I'd endorse whole-heartedly the advice to slide over the handlebar grips a pair of the genuine ( not cheapo copies which rot in the sunshine ) American "Grip-Puppies", especially if you have piano-player's long fingers or otherwise large hands.  Like others mentioned, I find the diameter of the OEM grips far too slim, meant for tiny Japanese mitts.

I'm sure like most of us on this forum, when your new bike loosens up a touch, you'll find it to be a terrifically enjoyable vehicle.

Edited by sykospain
Grumpy old man

Mine rumbles like hell on tick over dip the clutch and it quiets down a lot it's done this for 13000 miles from new

Grumpy old man

"To give the engine a satisfying and distinctive sound and feel, engineers thought way outside the box. For 2014, an extra balancer shaft has been added to inject the engine with just the right amount of ‘good’ vibration. The effect of the twin balancers is to counteract vibration from higher rpm inertia, making the engine feel more refined, yet still with the distinct “throb” delivered by its 270° firing order"

Could this be what you're feeling, (Taken from Total Motorcycle.com) :shifty: