Handle Bar Vibration

Guest worligig

Guest JP1946
On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 01:16, worligig said:

Thank's Mac,

When i wrote the first post i'd done 300 miles on a september 2016 model, I've been out again today and still notice the vibration, its more noticeable in 6th gear. and I think this is what's causing the tingling fingers as on a long journey I'm in this gear for the most part.(still only up to 30 mins) though it even appears to rumble on tick over, and being a newbie I'm not sure if this is normal. it'll go in for it's first service soon and maybe they'll notice something then (one can hope, as it's a lovely bike and a pleasure to ride apart form this aspect.)  

it's also been suggested that I may have just picked up a problem bike as apparently it can happen but I'm still not sure. And am great full  of any further advice,  

Hi, I've just bought my NC 700 XA, and went out for my first decent run, about 140 miles in all, with stops of course. Towards the end of my jouney I was getting tingling fingers, most unpleasant, I've got heated grips fitted, so wondered if the grips were thinner and less cushion because of this.

I am a new rider too.  The previous posts hit it for me - I was holding on way too tight - the NC is incredibly stable and I have heated (Oxford) grips and handguards - so the bar weights have been altered slightly.  I noticed when I loosened up a bit and trusted it not to slap all over the place, it was a more enjoyable ride.  I've also tended to stretch my hands every so often (I see others doing this so tried it out) - just a simple flexing of the fist every so often.

trisaki

Also try moving the handlebars either back or forward to suit your  arm length sounds daft but it works also the levers - put them in a position  that is comfortable  

• Like 1
embee

As Mark says above, first thing is to rotate the bars in the centre clamps to get the most natural angle for your hands. I tend to find most bikes come set with the bars turned too far forwards for me personally, it makes my forearms ache after a while, it tends to rotate your elbows outwards.. Slacken off the clamps and sit on thebike and just swing the bars forwards/backwards until your arms feel most natural. It's often useful to have someone else handy to just nip up the bolts while you hold the bars where you want them.

Note that the Integra bars will rotate exactly the same, you just need to remove the top half of the cowling to get down to the clamps. The cowl is fixed to the bars and rotates with them.

Next slacken of the lever clamps and rotate them to give the most natural position for your hands when using the levers. Often they are too far back, the levers being too high, so you end up using the levers with your wrists flexed back. The best rule of thumb (sic) guide is to have your fingers in line with your forearms when you rest your fingers on top of the brake/clutch levers.

Note that the switch blocks are pegged to the bars so won't rotate at all.

Edited by embee
Guest bonekicker

Holding your arms out is not a ordinary thing too do anyway--so must expect some body reaction--and yes holding onto the bars too tight will not help--moving the bars forward or back can also as suggested help:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ourade22

I have a 2013 700x and suffer from tingling fingers, grip puppies help a lot, but I find the problem worse at low revs.

generally if the tingling starts I drop a gear and very rarely use 6th below 60mph.

I borrowed a DCT while mine was being serviced and found D mode horrible and spent most of the time in S mode which was way more comfy on the hands.

Having done over 50k on this bike I find chain condition/ tension has a big effect on vibrations, also fitting barkbusters made the problem worse.

• 1 year later...

I think it all depends on the individual. I have nerve damage in my hands and arms and after riding for an hour it can be very painful. I agree 100% with what Colin said about relaxing your grip. I always grip too tight. I have heavy end weights, grip puppies and hand guards so some probably playing against each other.

i think it depends on the individual and how susceptible they are to high or low frequency vibes.

col