how do you stop the engine?

Guest dersan

Rocker66

I don't think that it really matters which method you use

Rocker66

I have been using the kill switch (the red one) on all my bikes for years with no problems. Just remember to switch off with key afterwards. I do this so that the lights stay on to allow me to see the lock on my garage door in the dark. However if you are happier just using the key that's fine

Rocker66

Maybe it's just me then

If you use the key, keep using the key!

There's nothing worse than pulling your bike to pieces 'cos it won't start. Only to find you've left the kill switch in the off position! :doh:

• Like 1
Rocker66

as I said it really doesn't matter which method you use. Just use the one that suits you.

Guest Tumbleweed

I`ve only ever used the key to switch off. My "other half" always uses the kill switch. Whatever suits!!

My only problem is getting back on my bike when t`other half has used it. I end up sitting there like a muppet trying to work out what`s wrong. :frantics:

Guest Naana

I was told when I was first starting to ride (when I was riding knackered 20-year-old small capacity bikes) that you shouldn't use the kill switch normally to turn off the engine because you'd wear it out or it would break. This was because it wasn't designed to be used in that way so wasn't made of very strong materials and would break eventually. Of course, it would break in the "off" position just to be **** awkward. This is why I use the key to this day.

However, the combination of lightweight materials and 20 years of wind/rain/sun/snow/salt/mud on a bike would probably make this prophecy come true even if it wasn't strictly true to begin with. I don't think this is really so much of a concern on new, modern bikes. I'm sure the manufacturers are aware that the kill switch is commonly used to stop the engine so have beefed up the materials sufficiently to make this no longer a concern.

I think a much more sensible reason not to use the kill switch to turn off the engine is that you could (if you got distracted) leave the keys in the bike when you walked away from it. Not so much worried about leaving the lights on - although a flat battery is certainly a pain - but if the keys are left in, it is much much more likely to get stolen and most insurance companies would kick up a huge fuss when you tried to claim - often they at least double the excess, for example.

But so long as you have a ritual or habitual set of actions when stopping and getting off the bike this is unlikely to happen really. It's much more likely to happen if you try to change any habit you already have.

Whatever suits you, do it. :)

Rocker66

As you say a ritual is important. When I arrive home 9usually in the dark) I pull into my drive hit the kill switch so that I can see to unlock my front door and garage door. Garage is built into the ground floor. I then return to the bike push it into garage still using the headlight then switch off using the key and locking the steering at the same time. Have done this for many years on many different bikes with no problems.

Guest Kagan

I have been using kill switch.

There is no problem to use it and time by time it is getting a routine for user and in case of emergency you will not think "where was it, how to close" etc.

I haven't heard anybody damage the kill switch by proper usage.

The theory in my mind for possibble difference, kill switch could stop the machine suddenly but when you use your key than a signal is created and ECU can make some adjustments to off the engine. (but this is a theory in my mind, and I never heard something supports it.)

Edited by Kagan
  • 2 months later...

Had a problem with a kill-switch once on an old Transap when I was young and foolish.

Some people blip the killswitch deliberately while riding to create backfires - did this while going through a tunnel once, just for the hell of it.

Engine just stopped and wouldn't start again (luckily managed to reach the end of the tunnel)

Got my father to tow me home - very scary experience and don't really recommend it - and tried to work out what was wrong.

Took killswitch apart and couldn't see any problem, put it back together again and it started first time. Still don't know what the cause was, but since then I've always used the ignition.

Rocker66

OH! the folly of youth. :) We have all been there and done somethig as silly

Mike5100

which reminds me - presumably it's not possible to bump start the DCT versions?

Mike

Well, I must be a rare rider... Am I the only one that justs open the side stand with the 1st gear engaged? It must be because I always left the bike with the 1st gear engaged... Anyway, as Rocker66 told, it's just everyone ritual

Guest turbodieseli4i6

I usually just use my key, because I tend to forget about the rocker switch. I hate that What the hell is wrong feeling when it won't start!

I'm a creature of habit and don't go into troubleshooting/maintenance mode away from work anymore. That's what I do at work, and when I leave the job I just want to relax.

The other day I killed my bike by putting my helmet on the mirror, I put the keys in my pocket and forgot about it when I went into the house.

The next day getting ready to go to work, I tried to start the bike forgetting that the helmet actuated the switch. I bet I had that Cow staring at a new gate look.

At work its generally the older Harley's that have a problem starting. (Its kind of expected)

When a Honda doesn't start first crank every heard turns.

Well, I must be a rare rider... Am I the only one that justs open the side stand with the 1st gear engaged? It must be because I always left the bike with the 1st gear engaged... Anyway, as Rocker66 told, it's just everyone ritual

Always done the same. 1st gear and side stand down and thats it.

Am I the only one that justs open the side stand with the 1st gear engaged?

I was asking the same question,until I read your post.I use the kickstand in gear and the key in neutral.

Edited by x-man

I use my key, but will use the killswitch occaisionally.

I guess whatever suits you is best.

PS. The "Casey Stoner" method demonstrated on Saturday is NOT a recommended way to switch off the engine....... :frantics:

PS. The "Casey Stoner" method demonstrated on Saturday is NOT a recommended way to switch off the engine....... :frantics:

Well, the "Ben Spies" method was not good either :D

Well, the "Ben Spies" method was not good either :D

Very true. The "Nicky Hayden" approach seems the most restfull, as he managed a little nap after..... :sleep:

• 5 months later...
Guest JimJFox

Yeh, me too- sidestand then take out the key. In the bad old days we had to park in neutral otherwise could not restart easily.

Is my Oldtimer's brain reliable or am I imagining it?

I use the Key only, as far as I'm aware the Kill switch is for emergency use.