NC700 Integra DCT playing up

Guest PW63

Hi I wondered if any other Integra owners have had this problem. My Integra has approx 18000 miles on the clock and recently there have been occasions when the DCT stops working when the bike is moving - the flashing bar appears on the display. When I stop and and switch the ignition off and on again, the DCT appears to reset and is OK, until the next time it happens. This seems to be happening at least once and sometimes twice on every trip. Anyone any ideas?

Guest dcordeiro
DCT (pre 2016) Reset Procedure

1 -Have engine at normal temperature, check fan is not running, select neutral, switch off using key (NOT the kill switch).

Don't touch the throttle during the following procedure. The 2016 appears to be different for this.

2- Hold gear selector button on D and turn on ignition

3 - Continue to hold D until yellow check engine light (MIL) goes out, then release it

4 - press selector button in quick succession in the sequence DDNDN

5- In the gear display the D and S will show, and the dash ( - ) should blink at 2 sec intervals

the system is now ready for learning the clutch initialisation

6 - press the starter and start the engine

7 - wait for the D & S and the " - " to go out.

Initialisation is now complete, you can stop the engine and then use it as normal

Huskyteer

This is an ongoing problem with mine, but quite a rare one: http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/7142-another-dct-stuck-in-gear/

Are there any particular circumstances that set it off? I think I've narrowed mine down to 'bike is travelling faster than computer expects', e.g. going downhill in low gear, opening the throttle for an overtake.

Huskyteer

This is an ongoing problem with mine, but quite a rare one: http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/7142-another-dct-stuck-in-gear/

Are there any particular circumstances that set it off? I think I've narrowed mine down to 'bike is travelling faster than computer expects', e.g. going downhill in low gear, opening the throttle for an overtake.

Shouldn't have said that. Happened on my way home from work yesterday for no discernible reason :ermm:

Huskyteer, now that you mention it, on some occasions the problem did occur after some aggressive acceleration, and on another it happened whilst going downhill. Today I rode the bike very sedately and didn't have any problems.

I note your post regarding replacement of the inner main shaft sensor (06 Feb 2015). Do I take it from yesterday's post that the problem is still ongoing?

Huskyteer

I note your post regarding replacement of the inner main shaft sensor (06 Feb 2015). Do I take it from yesterday's post that the problem is still ongoing?

Unfortunately, yes. The sensor replacement took place on an occasion when turning the ignition off and on didn't fix the problem, and I had to limp it down to Dobles in 'moped mode'. The intermittent fault still seems to be there :(

Edited by Huskyteer

I still favour a poor connection (ref my issue with the non-starting thread it doesn't take much to cause a problem), but these things are notoriously tricky to track down. The only thing you can do is go round as many connectors as possible and check for any tarnishing, spray with contact cleaner and jiggle them in-out a few times.

I wonder if the ABS system may have an input as well. If you run the engine in gear on the centre stand it won't shift up out of 1st as it senses the front wheel isn't turning. If the speed difference between front and rear wheel differs for any length of time I wonder if this kicks in the 'limp home' mode or rather the 'operating on the centre stand safety override' mode.

• 2 months later...

I did the reset and replaced the kit chain or as I thought they said in the Cannes Garage "Kitchen". The bike was running much better but not fixed, and was prone to dropping out of gear when I had a passenger or accelerating hard. Also I had a "pump cycle" noise when I braked at times. I took a video of the symptoms and e mailed to to a couple of Honda garages and the one in Antibes came back to me. There is a small Axel in the DCT and it had sheared - they said it was a rare but known problem.  They took it in for two days and they weren't sure 100% of how much damage there could be but i was lucky I guess they said to drive it in sport mode whilst I was waiting to take it in and it did ease the symptoms. It was really frustrating as intermittent fault but fixed since a week - no drop out no weird noise when braking and I have been pushing her.

Relieved and really happy love this bike.

Glad you got yours sorted, Huw. :)

MikeBike

Thanks for updating the thread by posting the findings. May be useful to someone else in future (hope not but who knows)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Update: I had the Integra serviced last September at a dealer, and they had to fit a new chain and sprocket set due to excessive wear, and after this I used the bike daily without any DCT problems, until a couple of months ago when all of a sudden the flashing bar started appearing when I was travelling at 30mph or thereabouts, and a few days later it broke down altogether - I could start the engine and select D or S, but as soon as I touched the throttle the flashing bar would appear. Got the bike towed to the dealer (4 hour wait for the AA recovery vehicle!) and they kept the bike for 2 weeks before they looked at it, then they were unable to diagnose the fault and had to get advice from Honda. Honda said to replace the oil pressure sensor in the crank case which they did and I am now back on the road.

But on a different note I looked out of the window at 7:00 this morning and spotted someone with a cordless grinder starting to cut through my 'U' lock. I went out and challenged them - there were 3 of them with 2 mopeds (no number plates) faces covered etc, and they fled. With hindsight perhaps I was a little foolhardy as they might have had acid or knives. But anyway I'm thinking that a 700cc Integra is quite a desirable acquisition for a moped gang and now they know it's there they will probably try again. So maybe it's time to trade the Integra in for something with a foot gear change that might be a little less tempting. In the meantime I'm using 2 locks on the front wheel and 2 on the back. I have also had a tracker fitted since the bike was new but I don't have a lot of faith in it - when the bike was being towed by the AA recently it was an hour before the tracking service contacted me to ask if the bike was OK.

Steveb2418

Well good luck with all of that . These scooter thieves are trash !!'

embee

Found this on the auction site

s-l1600KI3CWGOE.jpg.9f225c8e93639dfec50e28761b5af78c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I got to wondering, supposing they had succeeded in cutting the U-lock, they would then have had to break the steering lock, and bypassed Honda's HISS system. Supposedly the bike cannot be started without the right key in the ignition, otherwise they have to wheel it away (the Integra is a heavy machine to have to push any significant distance) until they can safely replace the ECU. The Integra came back from a dealer only a couple of weeks previously, where presumably they could have made a duplicate key or done something to the ECU? Previously I owned a 300cc Vespa and 6 years ago it was stolen from the same place I keep the Integra, and Vespas are fitted with a system similar to Honda HISS. In this case the Vespa had also been serviced about 2 weeks previously by the very same dealer - now is that a coincidence or what? BTW the Vespa was eventually recovered but it had been joyridden and was completely wrecked. I received an insurance pay-out but of course it was less than the scooter + accessories were worth and it adversely affected by insurance premiums for the next 5 years.

Patrick, you may have hit upon something with the dealer service thing. Not necessarily them cloning a key, or someone at the dealership passing on your address, but I actually think it’s far more likely someone just followed you home. :( 

The Vespa security system is laughably easy to get round, the HISS I would think is harder, but by no means impossible. The steering lock on any motorcycle is just a joke in bad taste. 

Pushing it away is no problem, the rider of a second scoot pushes the stolen one along with his foot (which is why they prefer autos). Double up on your security and maybe fit an alarm or tracker.

Mr Toad

Here's another thought. 

If you think that there's any possibility that someone at the dealers is dodgy or that the scrotes are simply hanging about and following potential victims home then I would certainly consider getting my service done at a different dealer. I would also consider using a dealer well out of London, yes it would be a bit of a pain but if it makes you less of a target then worth it? 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, PW63 said:

In this case the Vespa had also been serviced about 2 weeks previously by the very same dealer - now is that a coincidence or what?

If the attempt on your Integra also happened within a couple of weeks after servicing it would be worth telling plod about a suspect employee, but your service was September so it looks like unlucky coincidence.

embee

Many years ago around here there was a spate of lawnmower thefts from peoples' gardens/sheds. It wasn't too long before it was realised that they had all been bought from the same place ……………………..

• Like 1
EastSussexPete

I read about a 2 week old Ducati Miltistada vanishing off the petrol forecourt. He just spent 30 seconds paying. A toe rope and a nearby van.

Adjustable skelitan keys and hacking devices are found on auction sites.

If you are using multiple security products at the same time, insurance may give you multiple discounts. The thieves should move to an easier target. 

Edited by EastSussexPete
Grammar

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm now using 2 U-locks on the back wheel (one alarmed) and one on the front wheel, and also a very chunky front disc lock with an alarm, plus the gate to my front yard is padlocked so hopefully the next time they will notice all this and decide to look elsewhere. If I go on away on holiday I may even remove the front wheel. Nothing much else I can do. It's a nuisance having to go to these lengths but better than the bike getting stolen.

Tragic that you have to go to such lengths to keep your property safe, but I absolutely admire your dedication. Fingers crossed for you.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Traded the Integra in two weeks ago and I'm now the owner of a new NC750X with manual gearbox. Only got £1k trade-in for the Integra with 25,000 miles on the clock but apparently demand for them is poor. Dealer already had a used one in the show room and it just won't sell. Anyway it took some getting used to going back to a manual after 5 years but overall makes each ride more interesting and enjoyable and I certainly won't miss the DCT problems.