Sign in to follow this  
Swissheavy

Nolan N87

Swissheavy

Indulged in a new helmet, a Nolan N87, as my current one is open face and I'm going to be doing a lot more long journeys and on motorways.

Really impressed so far, seems well made with good switches and good foam liner. Noise doesn't seem bad really but then. I'm coming from an open face.

Tried a load of different helmets. Focussing on fit not price. Nolan 802RR, Arai Chaser V, Arai Quantum ST, HJC IS17, Schuberth S2R. Once I was getting more comfortable on for, I then looked more closely at the SHARP ratings and reviews. N87 has just got an award from Ride Magazine as a Best Buy. Good report on Billy's too.

Will update again once I've had it a few more months.

• Like 1

bonekicker

Are there still riders out there with--open faced helmets??  :bye:

slowboy

Yes, when the weathers good. Shoei Neotec when it's not.

Regards

Brian

• Like 1

Mike5100

Yes - I have rediscovered the pleasures of open-face this summer,  And have bought the Nolan N40 Full classic.  It has a clip in chin protector that may be as much use as a chocolate fireguard, but the helmet has two features that may go some way towards compensating for the lack of chin protection.

Mike

• Like 1

DaveM59

I have used Nolans for many years and am entirely happy with them. Never managed to break or damage anything, they seem very robust and having kits to clip in all the comms you could want that fit virtually invisibly and are decent quality is an advantage. Replacement visors are available in a full range of tints and noise levels are reasonable although as you go up the price range, there are more rubber seals around the flip edges than are fitted on the budget models.

• Like 1

Swissheavy

Open face is the best way to travel, perfect for A and B roads. But horrendous on the motorways.

I use a Nolan N43. It's pretty good.

• Like 1

marekm

... I use a Nolan N43. It's pretty good.

+1 (when commuting) :)

bonekicker

I had a open faced helmet years--and years--ago--But I would not wear one now--I saw too many good looking lads--become ugly in a instant-- I do agree it's lovely to ride in one--and I cant take my closed face helmet off quick enough after riding-- But still--- Jaon my old woman came out with me last week--for the second time ever--she as a open faced helmet and will not wear the other type--even though I nag her !!! :baby:  

• Like 1

Rocker66

I had a open faced helmet years--and years--ago--But I would not wear one now--I saw too many good looking lads--become ugly in a instant-- I do agree it's lovely to ride in one--and I cant take my closed face helmet off quick enough after riding-- But still--- Jaon my old woman came out with me last week--for the second time ever--she as a open faced helmet and will not wear the other type--even though I nag her !!! :baby:  

100% agree when I had my accident despite wearing a full face helmet my glasses were forced off cutting my nose and just above one eye. I'm not sure how but the front of my visor was covered in deep gouges obviously having hit something. In view of this I hate to think what state my face would have been in had I been wearing an open face. My face is far from being an atractive sight but I'm sure that it would have been much worse had I not been wearing my Neotec

Tonyj

Wouldn't mind a shoei j cruise myself but at £400 , a bit rich for occasional use

Swissheavy

Just an update on the N87. Build quality very good. Straps really nice. Passing is still comfortable. The nose clip rubber feature vanished one day so had to replace that. Something to watch out for. 

A really good good buy this. Unfortunately can't get the yellow any more :( 

Steel Horse UK

Hi Josh,

The Nolan N87 looks great. Can you tell me, does it have a decent recess for helmet speakers ?

I know its N-COM ready but I just want to check I can fit my Interphone FM5C to it.

-Mark- 

old commuter

Use a Nolan 64 and it is excellent and great value for money

Mac750

Stadium Project 6. 

Okay I cheated it's a retro sticker from " Ding Dong stickers" fitted to a modern open face black/gold coach lined Builtwell from the USA.

I also have a Black and Cream Builtwell S full face for when it's cold. They fit my head shape and are all day comfy with no modern technology fitted so no one can phone me from work which is ideal. 

Edited by Mac750
Predictive sex

Swissheavy
On 18/08/2017 at 15:06, Smudger said:

Hi Josh,

The Nolan N87 looks great. Can you tell me, does it have a decent recess for helmet speakers ?

I know its N-COM ready but I just want to check I can fit my Interphone FM5C to it.

-Mark- 

Hi Mark

I'm not sure but I can take some photos of the inner lining if you like? 

Steel Horse UK

Hi Josh

Do not go to any trouble taking liners out etc. 

-Mark- 

White Skark

I was introduced to the Nolan N44 Evo last year and love it, very comfortable witht he chin guard, vision is great, I have had full face helmets but strugle to get used to them.