Water pump or gasket

Guest Barne_as

Guest Barne_as

My water pump is leaking from the gasket. Its a warranty repair but honda dealer have given me a date of delivery for a new pump at the end of November!

They are not very helpful with coming up with a solution. I may be able to get a couoke of gaskets sooner.

Is this an easy job to do yourself?

Does anyone know any dealers who have water pumps or gaskets in stock now?

Guest aldmannie

Is it the cover gasket or a mechanical seal that's leaking?

If its the cover gasket you can cut one from gasket material.

Mechanical seal not so easy to improvise....

Honda parts supply is dodgy just now, I couldn't get a part recently.

Edited by aldmannie
Guest bonekicker

Andrew doing a repair to any thing is a unknown until you have stripped it down---and then you have to find a solution to fix it--the surfaces will be finely machined--you can buy a tube of gasket sealant--make sure all surfaces are clean and it will be ok--let the sealant dry properly be for filling with water--don't put the antifreeze in yet--make sure for a few days its not leaking--then drain off some water and put the antifreeze in----I'm saying antifreeze its what ever it says in the Honda workshop manual--let us know how you get on--some pic's would be nice.  :thumbsup:

There are 2 moulded rubber seals and a plate which form the joint between the halves of the water pump castings.

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-61002-61002-NC700SAC-2012-E_11-NC+700+ABS+35KW.html

As far as I know the NC rotary seal isn't serviceable as such (or at least there isn't a separate seal sold, however many other Honda water puimps also are like this but you can fit new seals if you know which seal parts you need, usually available for older Honda models).

E_11.jpg

Derek_Mac

If you're not using Honda antifreeze be sure to use Silicate Free antifreeze.

• 7 months later...
kharli

I`ve just noticed intermittent weeping from pump area, pretty random and doesn't repeat itself, but getting worse I think , .also I was surprised how low my water was with no signs of overheating ermm when I first noticed it. ,

There was a lot of paint particles from ,I think, paint on the inside of radiator near the cap ,and my reservoir looks like its got black flakes in so a flush out probably wouldn't do any harm.(noticed when doing valve check) I am afraid to say after five years of stable water and oil levels I got a bit lazy.

I am going to keep an close eye on it now and carry water with me and start checking that site for a low mileage second hand one . NC700 2011  55000 miles

Lucky I kept my cbf 125 which is proving to be a long term winner as long as you dip the whole thing in oil every winter !.. bits for that are almost giveaway  compared to big bike stuff, though its chewing through cheep chains atm. (3k if I'm lucky :()

commuter

water treatment is something I come across a fair bit. The good thing about old coolant is that as it has gone through the system, all the parts of the system have "competed" for the free ( disolved) oxygen in the water and basically taken all of the free oxygen out. The problem with changing the coolant is that you are adding new water with a new supply of oxygen in it. Some coolant additives have a chemical in them which is designed to attach itself to any free oxygen in order to prevent it from doing any corrosion damage. Always use the correct water treatment for your bike and when adding it, don't shake it to mix it with the water, add it to the system and then gently add water. to the correct level. Someone was telling me that if you allow the water to stand prior to adding it, a lot of free oxygen will come out of solution.( fish breath free dissolved oxygen and this is why they don't like to swim in stagnant water).

I have never read it or heard it said, but I get the impression that if one could just filter out the dirt from old coolant, it would be the best stuff to put back into an engine due to its inability to corrode very effectively. What I don't know about though is as the coolant ages does its ability not to freeze also diminish?

larryblag

Andrew, best let the dealer do their thing and replace the whole assembly as the bike is under warranty. In the meantime I presume they have put a torque wrench on the cover bolts and checked them? If it's really bad though you may have to insist that they affect a temporary repair (like Michael suggests) or provide you with a loan bike until then. If your NC is your main method of transport or especially if you're commuting explain that you can't wait until November. 

Guest Mac750

I'm being lazy and not gone out side to check, But most Honda bike water pumps have a weep hole under the pump housing. Check if it's wet, if it is that's indicative of the pumps seal failing a d they need renewing sooner than later .