750x air filter changing guide

nc750xuk

Guest sykospain

A pleasure John - with some courage and time spent acquiring experience in wrenching, plus a wisely-chosen selection of good tools,you can save yourself a whole lot of money on DIY servicing of these easy-to-care-for bikes !  If you have a garage to store your bike in, one of the first things I'd buy if I were you is a bike-lift platform.  The Chinese-made ones are really well-priced and make the job of working on a motorbike a whole lot less stressful and more pleasant.

For example:-

https://www.2ememain.be/moto/pièces-accessoires/outillage-appareillage/table-moto-450kg-ciseaux-stock-351763728.html

Graham NZ

Four screw

5 hours ago, phantom309 said:

blimey so nearly 30 screws to change the air filter 

that was thought out well... my old burgman was 2

4 on my Buell......

Graham NZ

It's to be expected that any bike with a lot of plastic panels is going to mean a lot of fasteners need to be removed to get at things behind them.  Fair enough for that not to be considered a fault, but it can't be claimed at the same time that the bike is easy to service.

Tex
6 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

It's to be expected that any bike with a lot of plastic panels is going to mean a lot of fasteners need to be removed to get at things behind them.  Fair enough for that not to be considered a fault, but it can't be claimed at the same time that the bike is easy to service.

Define 'easy' :D 

As you say, Graham, anything with a fairing or lots of panels will be time consuming. But the 'easy' part (for me) comes with the bike being serviceable with only common hand tools that any of us might be expected to own. Or, to put it another way, it might be an arse to get to the valves but at least when you have you can adjust them in minutes. Compare an NC to, say, a VFR800V-tec and you will see what 'easy to service' means - and doesn't! :)

Graham NZ
13 hours ago, Tex said:

Define 'easy' :D 

As you say, Graham, anything with a fairing or lots of panels will be time consuming. But the 'easy' part (for me) comes with the bike being serviceable with only common hand tools that any of us might be expected to own. Or, to put it another way, it might be an arse to get to the valves but at least when you have you can adjust them in minutes. Compare an NC to, say, a VFR800V-tec and you will see what 'easy to service' means - and doesn't! :)

Agreed, Tex, with the plastics off the work is simple. Still, it would be interesting to see the valve clearances being set with the radiator in place.  In the video I watched the chap didn't remover the spark plugs to remove compression and allow the timing marks to be aligned easier but he removed the radiator. Odd.

Tex
39 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

Agreed, Tex, with the plastics off the work is simple. 

I once wrote to Honda, Japan to seek development funding for an idea I had to secure fairing panels with Velcro. I'm sorry to say that they never replied. Neither did Triumph, Suzuki,Yamaha or Kawasaki..

Ducati showed mild interest, but pointed out that their fairings tended to fall off anyway! They'd also blown a large part of their annual budget in persuading people that their V twin was actually an L twin and the layout was, somehow, exclusive to them.. 

:D

Graham NZ
7 hours ago, Tex said:

I once wrote to Honda, Japan to seek development funding for an idea I had to secure fairing panels with Velcro. I'm sorry to say that they never replied. Neither did Triumph, Suzuki,Yamaha or Kawasaki..

Ducati showed mild interest, but pointed out that their fairings tended to fall off anyway! They'd also blown a large part of their annual budget in persuading people that their V twin was actually an L twin and the layout was, somehow, exclusive to them.. 

:D

Velcro is a great idea.  Duct tape must be in with a chance too. :cry:

What makes the Ducati twins L is not the 90 degree angle between the cylinders but their angles relative to plumb and horizontal.  It could also refer to Learner.  Still, not much wrong with their MotoGP L-fours.

You have a point (a small one :) ) but it only makes an L when viewed from one side. From the other side it's an L for the severely dyslexic.. :D 

• 1 month later...
Grumpy old man

Hi Guys

How do I gain access to the pictures?

Cheers

• Like 1
kayz1

Air filter on the new X-ADV to remove. Pop two of those push pin doda's and two of those with the pin head you pull out. Put finger tips under black cover and heave up.

Then undo the cover lid screws. Simples:yes:

Edited by kayz1
  • Like 1