Simpson700x

Hugger or not?

listener
Posted (edited)

Judging by the evidence in this video, huggers and spray guards are a waste of time.

(That guard simply focusses the spray onto the underseat pan. I think a strip of bristles across the trailing edge of the spray guard would help stop that.)

I'm working on a DIY guard fitted as per Mike's "March 19" post above.

I'm caught between a plastic notebook cover (fairly stiff but a bit fragile) and thin rubber matting (more resilient but too floppy).

Possibly both together would work.

The problem is, how to fix it?!

Self-tappers are secure but 'damage' the bike. Tie-wraps are less secure but shouldn't damage the bike. 

Edited by listener

Malcolm1975

Damn that some wet weather there 

I was thinking more of the type to protect the shocker a little 

Seems to be mixed opinions.onthese for and against 

wingrider.steve

I bought a Factory M hugger for my 750X but it was such a bad fit I returned it for a refund.

I have an Ermax one now and while like most huggers it doesn't keep all the crap off it is better than not having it fitted.

Wedgepilot

I had the pyramid hugger for a while. It stops the spray of road crud and grit directly hitting the shock, so it's better than nothing. But water will still splash off the wheel arch and land indirectly on the swing arm and shock, so they do still get dirty.

The mudflap thing seems better at keeping the dirt away. Mine is attached with zip ties, had it over a year with no problems.

Malcolm1975
11 hours ago, Wedgepilot said:

I had the pyramid hugger for a while. It stops the spray of road crud and grit directly hitting the shock, so it's better than nothing. But water will still splash off the wheel arch and land indirectly on the swing arm and shock, so they do still get dirty.

The mudflap thing seems better at keeping the dirt away. Mine is attached with zip ties, had it over a year with no problems.

Is that a homemade jobbie or did you buy it ??

Wedgepilot
22 hours ago, Malcolm1975 said:

Is that a homemade jobbie or did you buy it ??

I bought it off the auction site, it was only about a tenner.

• Thanks 1

Malcolm1975

Sorry do you have a link or what to search for 

Wedgepilot
4 hours ago, Malcolm1975 said:

Sorry do you have a link or what to search for 

Search for "Honda nc750x rear shock protector". Although I see the cost has gone up since I bought mine, it's now an outrageous 14.95! 😁

Jeffprince
10 hours ago, Wedgepilot said:

Search for "Honda nc750x rear shock protector". Although I see the cost has gone up since I bought mine, it's now an outrageous 14.95! 😁

Cracking, thanks....just ordered one!

• Like 1

MPG100

Photos, useful comment, reviews and even a linky provided, how perfect is that, ie exactly what these owner forum websites are all about, thanks guys!

Malcolm1975

On a side note or thought how about a Hugger and a sock shock I'm not great a fitting stuff and wondered how hard the sock was to fit 

I have a puig higher  not fitted yet and wondered if I should fit a shock sock first 

Or just return the puig one and stump up the handling charge and get a flap listed above