Mister Paul

If you don't mind hi-viz and the wrong label...

bonekicker

It does not matter what name is on it--Mister Paul--thats a real bargain in anyone's books -- and being Hi Viz is really sensible :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Mike5100

Thanks Mr Paul - I've just ordered one.  I tend to wear a Triumph fluorescent vest in the winter months but it's a nuisance.  Worth a punt on this jacket for the price.

By the way I have 3 other triumph jackets all sized 44/54 which in my eyes is 'Large', and they all fit me.  But after looking at the Triumph sizing chart it appears that I am size M, so have ordered that size.  

Mike

Edited by Mike5100
  • Like 1

fred_jb
3 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

...I bought one of these jackets last week. Arrived next day and is as good as the RRP would suggest. Warm, waterproof, well-stitched and well thought out. For a third of the new price.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/clothing-sale/motorcycle-clothing-sale/triumph-expedition-motorcycle-jacket.html

How was the sizing?  Would be really useful to know your chest measurement and what size you went for.

And of course it is the right label for me!  :D

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

Marvincon

Thanks for the link Mr Paul, I've been looking for a new jacket for a couple of weeks. Paid £99 for the 'endeavour ' jacket, can't be bad. 😀

• Like 1

Mister Paul
2 hours ago, fred_jb said:

How was the sizing?  Would be really useful to know your chest measurement and what size you went for.

And of course it is the right label for me!  :D

Suit jacket I'm 42R, Trousers 34". Not flat-stomached. I normally get away with a medium, but from reading around the web people tend to say that Triumph come up small. Add to this that in winter I might have a few layers underneath so I went for the large. With a t-shirt and average woolly jumper on it's just about perfect. With only a T-shirt on or with the lining out it might be a bit on the large side. But I can live with that because the sleeves are the right length for me, and more importantly the armour is all in the right places. I get frustrated with some bike gear because the knee or elbow armour can be too high or low. I did order one of the other jackets in a medium to see how the jacket and fit compared to this one. The sizing on the medium was a bit snug with a jumper on, and the other jacket wasn't as sturdy. So I'm sending the other back.

If I were you I'd order two sizes, have a good try on and send the other back. You'll still be saving yourself a fortune. 

• Like 1

fred_jb

Thanks Paul.  That's really helpful.

• Like 1

Rev Ken

Thanks for the info - I e-mailed them and I was also told that Triumph clothing is normally a bit 'neat'. My present jacket is a comfortable continental 54 and I was advised to get a Large size. I'll let you know if it fits! (The last time I rode a Triumph was over fifty years ago so should I cover up the Triumph badge with gaffer tape?) ;-)

• Like 1

Tex
9 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

The last time I rode a Triumph was over fifty years ago so should I cover up the Triumph badge with gaffer tape?  ;-)

Certainly not!  Triumph are a major British success story. Celebrate it. Ask for extra badges.. :D

• Like 3

fred_jb
On 01/11/2016 at 19:53, Mister Paul said:

Suit jacket I'm 42R, Trousers 34". Not flat-stomached. I normally get away with a medium, but from reading around the web people tend to say that Triumph come up small. Add to this that in winter I might have a few layers underneath so I went for the large. With a t-shirt and average woolly jumper on it's just about perfect. With only a T-shirt on or with the lining out it might be a bit on the large side. But I can live with that because the sleeves are the right length for me, and more importantly the armour is all in the right places. I get frustrated with some bike gear because the knee or elbow armour can be too high or low. I did order one of the other jackets in a medium to see how the jacket and fit compared to this one. The sizing on the medium was a bit snug with a jumper on, and the other jacket wasn't as sturdy. So I'm sending the other back.

If I were you I'd order two sizes, have a good try on and send the other back. You'll still be saving yourself a fortune. 

Thanks to your advice I ordered the L size as I am also a 42 chest. Just got the jacket today and very pleased with the appearance and quality.  No getting away from the fact that it is hi-viz, but there is a lot of black on it too so doesn't look too dayglo Derek!  It got the wife's seal of approval too.  It is quite a snug fit particularly in the arms so I wouldn't be able to wear much under it that had arms, but I've tried it with a fleecy arm-less (aren't they all?) gilet which I often wear under my gear in the winter, and that was fine.  The inner removable insulated layer is quite thick, so I don't think I would need any more under it anyway, and I think the next size up would be too loose.  The jacket is nicely shaped and I think a bit longer at the back which is great for me as I have a long back, and the short zip at the back zips into one of the two zips on my Frank Thomas over-trousers if I want to attach them to each other.

Thanks again Paul for the heads up on this.

• Like 1

Mister Paul
5 hours ago, fred_jb said:

Thanks to your advice I ordered the L size as I am also a 42 chest. Just got the jacket today and very pleased with the appearance and quality.  No getting away from the fact that it is hi-viz, but there is a lot of black on it too so doesn't look too dayglo Derek!  It got the wife's seal of approval too.  It is quite a snug fit particularly in the arms so I wouldn't be able to wear much under it that had arms, but I've tried it with a fleecy arm-less (aren't they all?) gilet which I often wear under my gear in the winter, and that was fine.  The inner removable insulated layer is quite thick, so I don't think I would need any more under it anyway, and I think the next size up would be too loose.  The jacket is nicely shaped and I think a bit longer at the back which is great for me as I have a long back, and the short zip at the back zips into one of the two zips on my Frank Thomas over-trousers if I want to attach them to each other.

Thanks again Paul for the heads up on this.

I rode from North Somerset to Central London and back yesterday in mine. Warm, draught-proof and comfortable. I'm very pleased. A woman did come up to me in Islington with an injured pigeon (no, that's not a euphemism) and ask me if I was a policeman, but I'll suffer that if it means I'm more visible. And considering the huge saving.

Now that I've worn it a bit and have adjusted the stomach adjusters it fits perfectly.

I'm not sure about the thumb hooks in the inner sleeves. Nice idea, but I unhooked as it was irritating a thumb. 

• Like 2

fred_jb
38 minutes ago, Mister Paul said:

I rode from North Somerset to Central London and back yesterday in mine. Warm, draught-proof and comfortable. I'm very pleased. A woman did come up to me in Islington with an injured pigeon (no, that's not a euphemism) and ask me if I was a policeman, but I'll suffer that if it means I'm more visible. And considering the huge saving.

Now that I've worn it a bit and have adjusted the stomach adjusters it fits perfectly.

I'm not sure about the thumb hooks in the inner sleeves. Nice idea, but I unhooked as it was irritating a thumb. 

That's good to hear - though not the bit about the injured pigeon obviously!  :)   Not much slack in the stomach adjusters in my case with the gilet on underneath, so still slightly wondering if I should change it for the next size up.

I'm hoping I'll get mistaken for a cop out on the roads with the hi-viz, white helmet, and big twin headlights, even though the bike is black.

New
11 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

Are you sure they are thumb hooks? Triumph jackets usually have elastic to attach the liner to buttons inside the main jacket. 

Mister Paul
54 minutes ago, New said:

Are you sure they are thumb hooks? Triumph jackets usually have elastic to attach the liner to buttons inside the main jacket. 

I may be wrong but I think so. There are extended inner sleeves stitched to the main jacket (no the liner) that are elasticated and look like they should protrude into your gloves. Each of these has a thumb-sized hole right when your thumb is. 

sykospain

My problem re protective wear here on the Med coast is of course entirely the opposite issue to yours of the need for warmth.

I have a cheapo Chinese Lidl jacket and trousers, which altho' having the right certified stout padding in all the right places, makes you feel as if you're riding inside a polythene bag in the weather we have here.  When I take the jacket off I'm literally dripping with sweat.  My T-shirt is so soaked I can hardly peel the darned thing off my skin.

The problem is caused by the tissue-paper plasticky inside lining of the jacket, worn of course without its internal removable inner.  The material isn't in the slightest breathable, despite what Crivit or whoever is the maker, says.  The outer fabric is fine - tough, durable and thick enough to offer reasonable asfalt-sliding protection.  But the jacket doesn't dissipate any heat whatsoever.

So I'm wondering about the inner fabric of this brill-looking Triumph hi-vis jacket. 

The ad says "Sympatex®- Waterproof, windproof and breathable performance z-liner".

More breathable ? ?  My UK jacket, which is an excellent Hein Gericke, has a lining that's a sort of fabric-mesh.

If the lining in the Triumph jacket is the same, it would seem ideal kit for Med-coast weather, even with the extra cost of Euro-shipping.

Any comments would be most appreciated before the supplier sells out at this excellent price.

Edited by sykospain

fred_jb
42 minutes ago, Mister Paul said:

I may be wrong but I think so. There are extended inner sleeves stitched to the main jacket (no the liner) that are elasticated and look like they should protrude into your gloves. Each of these has a thumb-sized hole right when your thumb is. 

Having looked more closely at mine I think Paul is right.  These stretchy cuffs are stitched into the end of the arms.  The thermal lining fastens further back into the arms with the usual two buttons and elastic loops.

• Like 1

fred_jb
53 minutes ago, sykospain said:

So I'm wondering about the inner fabric of this brill-looking Triumph hi-vis jacket. 

The ad says "Sympatex®- Waterproof, windproof and breathable performance z-liner".

More breathable ? ?  My UK jacket, which is an excellent Hein Gericke, has a lining that's a sort of fabric-mesh.

If the lining in the Triumph jacket is the same, it would seem ideal kit for Med-coast weather, even with the extra cost of Euro-shipping.

Any comments would be most appreciated before the supplier sells out at this excellent price.

Alan, if you take out the thermal lining then the coat itself has a thin liner which is covered with oval perforations and the material itself looks like a micro-mesh that would allow air through. However, the outer shell has limited openings for airflow.  It has several zips you can undo to expose the inner lining, but they are only slits, as far as I can see there are no large panels you can remove, so I would expect to continue using my leather jacket in the summer because it has large perforated areas which allow good airflow once the thermal lining is taken out.   

Regarding sweaty teeshirts, etc, have you tried using proper base layer garments rather than cotton teeshirts? I wear base layer type teeshirts and these do not absorb moisture and get sodden, they pass it through and allow it to evaporate.  The other advantage is that they can be rinsed out at night in a hotel and be dry by next morning - just wring out once, then roll up in a towel and repeat and they will be almost dry.

Edited by fred_jb

sykospain

Many thanks as usual for your valuable info Fred - I've ordered the XL.

My Dad was always a Beezer man, mainly Gold Flash with a sidecar for Mother, so when I was old enough to get a bike licence, 60 years ago, I naturally went for a Triumph 'cos I preferred the pulled-back longer bars and the 'dustbin' fairing round the back end of the Speed Twin. 

Decades later, returning to biking in 1980, I bought another nicely-original black/silver Speed Twin and converted it to the usual electronic ignition.  When I asked the classic bikes garage if I could have winkers put on it, the guy said,

"Winkers on a 1964 Speed Twin ?.  If tha wants winkers, mate, gerra modern bike !".

So then came the Guzzi Florida, followed rapidly in sequence by a K75 and then 9 different boxers, culminating in another K75 and finally the Rockster, before I came to my senses and entered the wonderful world of the Honda NC.

My godfathers, think of the money....

Tex

No! Don't think of the money! That way lies madness... :D

• Like 1

Rocker66
2 hours ago, sykospain said:

Many thanks as usual for your valuable info Fred - I've ordered the XL.

My Dad was always a Beezer man, mainly Gold Flash with a sidecar for Mother, so when I was old enough to get a bike licence, 60 years ago, I naturally went for a Triumph 'cos I preferred the pulled-back longer bars and the 'dustbin' fairing round the back end of the Speed Twin. 

Decades later, returning to biking in 1980, I bought another nicely-original black/silver Speed Twin and converted it to the usual electronic ignition.  When I asked the classic bikes garage if I could have winkers put on it, the guy said,

"Winkers on a 1964 Speed Twin ?.  If tha wants winkers, mate, gerra modern bike !".

So then came the Guzzi Florida, followed rapidly in sequence by a K75 and then 9 different boxers, culminating in another K75 and finally the Rockster, before I came to my senses and entered the wonderful world of the Honda NC.

My godfathers, think of the money....

Sorry to be pedantic but the bodywork round the rear wheel was know as a "bathtub" . A "Dustbin fairing" was a form of streamlining as shown below

dustbin_new_05_zpsxzi4op3d.jpg

Mike5100

Ok got my jacket so here are some first thoughts and hopefully some answers to the questions posed above.

Firstly I can see why they are selling these off - it is not a £350 jacket.  But it is better than a £130 jacket so I'm keeping mine.

Secondly - sizing.  Despite me carefully going through Triumphs website sizing chart and discovering that their M size corresponded exactly with 3 Triumph jackets I already had that were labelled 44/54 (right down to sleeve length and shoulder size), this jacket is NOT the same size.  It is smaller.  However it's not too small if I take out the Outlast Liner and dump it as I was going to do anyway as I am not convinced by the physics.  It's even OK - just - with my warmnsafe heated jacket liner underneath.  In some ways I am quite pleased it's a tightish fit because I have big shoulders, a typical 66 year old gut but spindly arms.  And I always worried that in a spill the armour in the arms just wouldn't stay in the right place.  I think it will in this jacket.

The armour itself is about as cheap as you can get, but I have a Dianese back protector that will go in the pocket.  Dunno what I'm going to do about the shoulder protectors as the pockets are tiny. The elbow protectors look quite substantial however.

So in answer to questions above about breathability in hot weather.  Don't even think about it.  The mesh layer with the oval apertures will not keep you cool because behind that is a "non-porous, hydrophilic membrane" - this hangs loose and is not bonded to the outer.  No harm in this construction - most mid price stuff is made this way (a Z-liner I think they call it).  But just like Outlast, I am unconvinced by the physics.  Non-porous means water can't get through - nor air presumably as its completely windproof.  Hydrophilic on the other hand means it loves water.  This is why a pinlock insert works - it's made of a hydrophilic material that absorbs the water vapour in your breath.  But as you will probably be aware, eventually a pinlock insert gets overloaded and begins to steam up because it can't absorb any more and needs time to dry out.  I am not sure how the concept of hydrophilic can be applied to this Sympatex membrane.

So to some good points.  

• I think the thumb sleeves are a good idea.  The sleeves would probably have been too short but these keep them pulled down.
  • The cuffs are good and I can get the cuffs of my riding gloves either over or inside the sleeves, although it is a bit of a struggle when wearing my inner jacket.
  • The collar is just the right height.  I gave up with Triumph winter jackets a few years ago because whenever I sat on the bike the huge collars dug right up around my ears.
  • There's a good folded storm flap which should keep out the water, and as long as the pockets are made of waterproof material and taped then the same folded top design should keep the water out.  By the way here's another whinge about the Outlast liner.  It zips into the outer jacket and when the outer is closed there is a gap in the Outlast of about 3 inches.  This is exactly the place you need the insulation - right down the front.  Another reason to ditch it and wear something else - like a Coldkiller top.
  • Nice stretch panels at elbows and the upper back is made of a stretchy material.
  • Presstuds and velcro down the front storm flap, and I think it would hold together just by using the velcro if you wished.
  • Plenty of adjustments in lots of places
  • ..... And the main reason I bought it - loads of visibility both in terms of daylight fluorescent yellow and nightime reflective panels.

I will report back after trying it in the wild next week

• Like 2

Tex

Good report, Mike. A friend had outlast liners in a suit and claims they were brilliant, I bought some (expensive) outlast underwear and (to me) they were no different to other riding base layers.

Oh, and for some reason I thought you were younger! :)

Mike5100
9 minutes ago, Tex said:

Good report, Mike. A friend had outlast liners in a suit and claims they were brilliant, I bought some (expensive) outlast underwear and (to me) they were no different to other riding base layers.

I bought a Wolf jacket with Outlast liner and in warm weather it was too hot and in cold weather it wasn't warm enough.  I persevered for a long time and read as much research on it as I could find.  I seem to remember the principle was a bit like the hydrophilic pinlock insert but in this case applied to heat.  So the Outlast was supposedly able to soak up the heat of your body, even though it couldn't re-radiate it anywhere because of the outer jacket.  This would therefore keep you cool.  But even if they produced such a magic substance, it could only work for so long before it got 'saturated ' with heat - surely?  And the other thing I couldn't get my head around is that when you are talking about absorbing and releasing heat every substance that does it well is heavy - a hot water bottle is a good example.  I just don't see a lining that weighs 100grammes or so defying physics to be a great absorber and slow releaser of heat.

Mike

• Like 1

Mister Paul

The jacket has Knox armour. Certainly not the cheapest if you compare it with the foam I've had in previous gear.