Mister Paul

If you don't mind hi-viz and the wrong label...

fred_jb

Regarding whether the jacket looks cool, depends on your standpoint, but I'm not trying to impress anyone so I don't really care.   As far as I'm concerned it appears good quality, looks smart, and I find there is just enough in the way of black panels to avoid the full Dayglo Derek look.  If it somewhat resembles police kit, then I think that is no bad thing.

lipsee
29 minutes ago, Mister Paul said:

Seriously, I do think they're reduced because of the colour. But I don't care that I've been asked twice now if I'm a policeman. It's my winter jacket so it's going to be dark 90% of the time I'm wearing it.

Yeah Mister Paul,,I think for riding at night it will be very good and value wise just great..Honestly I,m just joking about the style,I would not buy,, but for you its ok ...and I hope you did something for the women with the pigeon ..or at least got her number...

lipsee

Seriously, I do think they're reduced because of the colour. But I don't care that I've been asked twice now if I'm a policeman. It's my winter jacket so it's going to be dark 90% of the time I'm wearing it.

Yeah Mister Paul,,I think for riding at night it will be very good and value wise just great..Honestly I,m just joking about the style,I would not buy,, but for you its ok ...and I hope you did something for the women with the pigeon ..or at least got her number...

lipsee

Rocker66
1 hour ago, lipsee said:

I know where you are coming from Rocker,,,and kindoff  agree !! But looking good makes you feel great,, looking like a sack of bright spuds makes you look not cool at all..Make the effort,and young ladies ( 60+) will be chasing you,,,not the other way round

.Even though I,m just 60 ,girls are whistling at me all the time!!!! (its true)

I ride my bike for a means of transport and for pleasure not to impress anyone else. As I'm approaching my 70th birthday and I'm happily married to the girl I fell in love with at 16 I don't need to try and impress others. I'm me and you like me fine and if you don't well that's fine too..

• Like 2

Mister Paul
2 hours ago, fred_jb said:

My XL size Triumph Expedition jacket just arrived - it was only posted yesterday on the cheaper 3-5 day delivery option, so quite impressed with that.   The XL is definitely a better fit, and it is still not too loose with the thermal lining taken out, so that one will be the keeper.  I will send the L size one back, and Lings who supplied both jackets have already sorted out the return admin for me so should get a refund without any hassle.

Just to clarify something I mentioned earlier:  the jacket has one long zip in the back and one short one.  I think I said it had two short zips, but it was my trousers which had two, one of which matched the jacket.

...and I've discovered that I think the long zip length depends on sizing. I've got Triumph trousers in 34", and the large jacket. The jacket side of the zip is longer than the trouser side, so they don't match at the end. They still zip up and stay connected though so I'm not too bothered.

Mike5100

The triumph connecting zips are much easier to use than the BMW ones.  I think it's because Triumph use a mega zip - much easier to get hold of and get it started when you are reaching round behind you.

At the risk of being shot down for foolishly risking my life, I must confess to never zipping the jacket and trousers together.  It really is such a nuisance - and when you stop for a coffee you have to go through the whole pallaver each time.  And if you wear a fleece over the top of the trousers the zip idea doesn;t work unless you have a slot in the fleece (the BMW inner liners do have that slot by the way - but imagine how difficult that is to use.

Oh yeah and while I'm on about slots - the Triumph expedition Outlast liner comes with slots so that you can get to the main jacket pockets.  My advice is to sew a pouch on the back of the slot otherwise you will be constantly paying for a new screen for your iphone :angry:  (Actually that's not true as I have just realised that the phone pocket is in the front zip plachet - but you could still lose your wallet if you post it through the slot)

Mike

• Like 1

fred_jb
59 minutes ago, Mike5100 said:

At the risk of being shot down for foolishly risking my life, I must confess to never zipping the jacket and trousers together.  It really is such a nuisance - and when you stop for a coffee you have to go through the whole pallaver each time.  

I have to admit I've never used zips before, mainly because I've never before had kit where the zips matched, but may now give it a try.

Good advice about the inner slots and "posting" valuables through them!  I tend to keep all such stuff in a manbag which I store in the topbox or tankbag if I have it fitted.  I do try to keep glasses in pockets though, which usually leads to having to search through all my inner and outer pockets when I need them, having forgotten where I stashed them!

MikeBike

Apart from the safety side, zipping up can also keep some cold draughts out and avoid needing braces, and can avoid the posted phone that misses the inner pocket hitting the deck, but of course it's often unzipped when putting back that wallet or phone...

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1

Rev Ken

M 'L' sized jacket arrived this morning and is now on its way back as it is too neat. I'm disappointed as I rang telling them the size of my HG jacket, and was advised to go for the larger size 'L', I hope an XL is the right size!

With reference to Hi Viz I'm a fan as it gets me through the traffic more easily (coupled with a white helmet and bike) and gives me a slightly better chance of staying alive.

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 3

Mister Paul

You may have noticed it's raining today. I've just ridden 25 miles of the M5 through torrential rain and loads of surface spray.

Arrived at work and took Expedition jacket and Triumph trousers off and not a drop of water has got through. I'm a happy boy.

• Like 1

Tex

Happiness is a dry crotch on a rainy day! :D

• Like 3

baben

Bought one of these but have returned it. Sleeves too tight, body loose, collar too low. Also, quality wise I think my Spada Metro is at least as good.  I mainly wanted to get a higher collar and this one isn't. 

fred_jb
2 minutes ago, baben said:

Bought one of these but have returned it. Sleeves too tight, body loose, collar too low. Also, quality wise I think my Spada Metro is at least as good.  I mainly wanted to get a higher collar and this one isn't. 

I also thought that the sleeves were a bit snug, but well shaped so I didn't find it a problem once I had gone up to the XL size.

Rev Ken

M 'L' sized jacket arrived this morning and is now on its way back as it is too neat. I'm disappointed as I rang teling them the size of my HG jacket is, and was advised to go for the larger size 'L', I hope an XL is the right size!

With reference to Hi Viz I'm a fan as it gets me through the traffic more easily (coupled with a white helmet and bike) and gives me a slightly better chance of staying alive.

MikeBike
On 09/11/2016 at 00:32, Rev Ken said:

M 'L' sized jacket arrived this morning and is now on its way back as it is too neat. I'm disappointed as I rang telling them the size of my HG jacket, and was advised to go for the larger size 'L', I hope an XL is the right size!

8 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

M 'L' sized jacket arrived this morning and is now on its way back as it is too neat. I'm disappointed as I rang teling them the size of my HG jacket is, and was advised to go for the larger size 'L', I hope an XL is the right size!

Ken, when I read your post from a few hours ago I thought "I've read that before". I don't think it's a case of getting old, as it's word for word. I wonder if this is some forum post editor issue. Did you mean to type something else?

Tex

Mike, the same thing has happened to me. I clicked to reply on a topic and it 'automatically' filled in a previous comment. I noticed it before posting, but couldn't clear it, so I cancelled the whole thing. And sometimes it 'quotes' a previous post even though I don't want to quote it. Only happened a couple of times, mind. I'm sure it'll sort itself out.

kayz1

Mike/Tex, i to have had the same thing happen on 3 or 4 occasions, i thought it was me so canceled each time and found another way round it.

Rev Ken

Well that's another 'challenge' in addition to my trouble with 'eyes'..... (Note I've got several in this post, but it seems to happen when I post a quote and reply to it. Computers/software are Black Magic - and stupid and unreliable!

• Like 1

baben

Cost me nearly ten quid to send it back:BangHead:

Mike5100
5 minutes ago, baben said:

Cost me nearly ten quid to send it back:BangHead:

I think mine cost nothing to send back - WoldofTriumph just sent me a returns authorisation which included postage (I think)

Mike

DaveM59
20 hours ago, fred_jb said:

We've been having a discussion with Ted about this in the help forum, and I'm using the workaround described in my last post in that thread.

http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/13310-strange-post-editor-behaviour/

It's been happening on other forum as well. Probably something in the last windows update rather than the forum themselves. It hasn't affected me on Windows XP but has affected anyone on later OS.

Edited by DaveM59

Rev Ken

Mike has summed up this jacket very well. I had to return my 'L' and get an 'XL'! Comparing it with my HG Gortex Hi-Viz jacket (now less Hi-viz and 7 years old), the 'cuffs' don't turn up far enough for some of my gloves to fit under the sleeves, and I am wondering if the collar will stop water running down my neck. Time will tell! The 'Outlast' lining isn't as thick as the one fitted to my HG jacket, but to my surprise I was 'toastie' warm over 150 miles in temperatures between 5-6C. I'm cautiously optimistic that it actually works!

With regard to the Knox armour, I went to their head office in Cockermouth to se if they had an upgrade. They were very helpful and in summary they told me that their armour is well up to standard, but were surprised at the small size of the shoulder armour fitted to a man's jacket. They have an upgrade, but advised me to wait until spring when they are introducing more flexible level 2 armour. They showed me a prototype back protector that  retains its ability to absorb shock over a wide temperature range. Apparently some level 2 armour can lose up to 80% of their shock performance after a few years and in cold conditions. The Knox versions do not suffer from deterioration and have a maximum guarantee under CE regs of five years. (5 years is the recommended point when armour should be renewed, according to CE which was news to me).

So I'm waiting until Spring!

• Like 1

Mister Paul
15 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Mike has summed up this jacket very well. I had to return my 'L' and get an 'XL'! Comparing it with my HG Gortex Hi-Viz jacket (now less Hi-viz and 7 years old), the 'cuffs' don't turn up far enough for some of my gloves to fit under the sleeves, and I am wondering if the collar will stop water running down my neck. Time will tell! The 'Outlast' lining isn't as thick as the one fitted to my HG jacket, but to my surprise I was 'toastie' warm over 150 miles in temperatures between 5-6C. I'm cautiously optimistic that it actually works!

With regard to the Knox armour, I went to their head office in Cockermouth to se if they had an upgrade. They were very helpful and in summary they told me that their armour is well up to standard, but were surprised at the small size of the shoulder armour fitted to a man's jacket. They have an upgrade, but advised me to wait until spring when they are introducing more flexible level 2 armour. They showed me a prototype back protector that  retains its ability to absorb shock over a wide temperature range. Apparently some level 2 armour can lose up to 80% of their shock performance after a few years and in cold conditions. The Knox versions do not suffer from deterioration and have a maximum guarantee under CE regs of five years. (5 years is the recommended point when armour should be renewed, according to CE which was news to me).

So I'm waiting until Spring!

Good job. Keep us updated.