14K (16K) Service - worn chain

JaseR

I picked up my 2014 NC750X DCT at the beginning of April and as I'm regularly commuting on it I've hit 8K miles and require the next service (what would normally be the 16K one). Cost of it came to £350ish....

...and I'm on a service plan! The service was 'free' however I needed a new rear tyre (not bad, 14K miles out of the Scorpion - I got 13K out of the BT023 on my 700X!) but I also needed a replacement chain and sprockets - I'd completely run out of adjustment.

On my 700X (manual) I had the DID chain changed around 3K miles and I sold the bike 13K miles later however there was very little wear in either - nothing like that's happened on the 750. Is this fair wear for a DCT bike, or am I expecting too much from my chain?...

(To be fair, I did have the Tutoro auto oiler on the 700, I've not fitted on to the 750...yet! That might have helped things.)

Guest aldmannie

If you're going to have a Honda dealer fit chains and sprockets and tyres of course its going to be expensive....

Puzzled as to your mileage though.

Does it have 8000 miles total, or have you done 8000 miles on it and the total is something else?

Is it still under warranty?

I've put 8K on it to take it to 14K in total - warranty expires in a few days :D

Lubrication, alignment, tension, motor's horsepower and riding style are the factors that affect the life of a chain drive system. An oiler (properly adjusted) extends chain drive's lifespan.

My '12 XD is still with the OEM chain (D.I.D.) and has 16K mi, lubricated by a Scottoiler e-System.

• Like 1
dazznutts

im on 18k and the chain has only been adjusted twice in the 2 years ive owned it - i use a small paint brush to brush the chain and use a mixture of gear and 10/40 oil 

Edited by dazznutts
  • Like 1
Guest machinman
9 hours ago, dazznutts said:

im on 18k and the chain has only been adjusted twice in the 2 years ive owned it - i use a small paint brush to brush the chain and use a mixture of gear and 10/40 oil 

Me too, 17000 miles same chain with a squirt of gear oil from a can. Effective but unavoidably messy.

3900 miles brand new NC750S and haven't adjusted the chain till now, using GT85 after everyday 70 mile commute.

GT85 = WD40

I prefer to use a drivechain lubricant.

18k life for well maintained chain and sprockets seems reasonable.

On 09/11/2016 at 21:18, temp said:

GT85 = WD40

I prefer to use a drivechain lubricant.

18k life for well maintained chain and sprockets seems reasonable.

I was going to say the same but looking at gt85 it is sold as a lubricant which wd40 isn't. 

Im sure  WD properties before a lubricant can't hurt. 

each to their own. 😀

@JaseR, mine chain has gone on under 15k ... and replaced with the sprockets under warranty. I'm using tutoro oiler and once every 1000km BelRay  Super Clean chain lubricant. The replacement chain is now 20k+, treated the same way as the original, and still not adjusted.

• Like 1

Hmm, thanks everyone - it does suggest that there was something odd about my chain; my dealer refused to entertain a warranty claim. I think I'm going to get in touch with Honda and ask some questions! :) 

Good luck getting a proper response from Honda UK. 

After four emails I got a report number and passed through three people finally to a phone number to speak to someone in person at Honda UK .  Trouble is no one picks up at the other end. I have now given up and resigned myself to sorting things out myself.