Engine/DCT issue?

Guest James Russell

If it's not going to be a warranty claim, can you get hold of the failed part so we can see how it fails, I'm beginning to get twitchy about my 2012 bike now.

Guest aldmannie
16 hours ago, baben said:

Hondas seem to have a bit of history with with camchain tensioners don't they? 

Not just camchain tensioners, Honda have a long history of rushing stuff out too soon and letting owners do the testing.

Never an early adopter be is one lesson I've learned over the years from having bought a number of first gen new model Hondas.

Guest James Russell
17 hours ago, embee said:

If it's not going to be a warranty claim, can you get hold of the failed part so we can see how it fails, I'm beginning to get twitchy about my 2012 bike now.

I will give them a bell tomorrow and say that I want to inspect the failed parts myself. Will get a picture of them. Or see if I can keep them.

Am I being unrealistic in expecting my bike to be fully valeted?

Dunnster
19 hours ago, embee said:

Please don't get twitchy Murray, if you do, I will too :(

3 hours ago, James Russell said:

I will give them a bell tomorrow and say that I want to inspect the failed parts myself. Will get a picture of them. Or see if I can keep them.

Am I being unrealistic in expecting my bike to be fully valeted?

I'm not sure about the valeting, but you can certainly ask for the old parts - they belong to you. They were part of the bike you own and have been replaced with parts you're paying for.. No other bugger has any claim on them whatsoever.

Slowboy

Mmm, I've got a 2012 bike too, but this is the only reported failure we've had on here. I would have been tempted to get a second opinion from Bishops of Bath, who are a good old fashioned Honda dealer, before committing to fowl ups diagnosis. Be interesting to see the parts if you can get them (they are legally yours I believe).

Sorry I didn't see your initial post early enough to suggest the alternative.

Brian

I am also aware of an Integra's cam-chain tensioner failing at a low milage. The replacement has been fine so I guess the design of the replacement (and hopefully post 2012 models) had been modified.

According to https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-78561-78561-NC750XAG-2016-E_04-NC+750+X+ABS.html the part number has stayed the same from 2012 through to 2016, though that doesn't of itself mean that the part hasn't been modified (if backward compatible it can retain the part number though it would usually change if there is a significant feature change). I would be very interested to see the failure mechanism, it's possible it is an assembly procedure error rather than a part failure, a process fault or a batch fault.

I intend doing a pre-season service on mine before spring, and I'm tempted to lift it out to have a look see. It'd be really useful to know what to look for.

• Like 1
Slowboy

+1 for me too, the bikes going on the bench over Christmas, so I could take the chance to have a shuftie.

I wonder if the cam chain tensioner can be replaced with a manual version? APE make mechanical tensioners but our bikes are not listed.

Guest James Russell

Hello All,

So I got the bike back today. £450 later! :bye:

Valves done and cam chain tensioner replaced. They showed me the Cam Chain Tensioner (annoyingly I didn't take a photo. Sorry). But it had completely failed. The rubber part was totally perished and the component was just left to hang. The tech said he had been working on NC's for a number of years and had never seen this. So I think I am going to follow up with another complaint to Honda. Tell them that I have lost my confidenve in the brand.

Anyway other than the Cam Chain Tensioner being replaced they also told me that the front brakes were at 30%, the chain would need replacing soon (sticky links) and that my tread was wearing unevenly.

How long are brakes and chains supposed to last? I would of thought longer than 9k??

Cheers

suffolk58

Ow! That's the kind of bill you expect of Italian exotica, not a Honda. Bad luck James.

As for the life of brakes and chains....it depends how you treat them and how you ride.

My chain was replaced at 10,000 miles, but the replacement has done that, and still looks like new.

The brake pads were replaced at the 16,000 mile service, but could have gone further. My BMW's pads went much further before replacement, but I guess they had more engine braking, and I didn't do as much commuting mileage, as I do now.

Guest James Russell
12 minutes ago, suffolk58 said:

Ow! That's the kind of bill you expect of Italian exotica, not a Honda. Bad luck James.

As for the life of brakes and chains....it depends how you treat them and how you ride.

My chain was replaced at 10,000 miles, but the replacement has done that, and still looks like new.

The brake pads were replaced at the 16,000 mile service, but could have gone further. My BMW's pads went much further before replacement, but I guess they had more engine braking, and I didn't do as much commuting mileage, as I do now.

Yeah lovely little Xmas prezzy that was. NOT!

So as I thought, my chain is probably due for renewal anyway. Will look to get that done in the new year.

But will have a butchers at my pads.