After a 6 month wait...

wendeg

After waiting patiently for almost 6 months from the date of order (it was way back in July, the 22nd to be precise!), last Friday finally got my X in blue. Did not have the chance to really try it out since it was only a 10km drive and in the rush-hour traffic of 5pm... actually did not get past the 4th gear. I will start with a radiator protector and a front fender extender. I think I will go for the Evotech rad protector.

Any ideas for the front fender extender?

• Like 2
Mike5100

I got an excellent genuine carbon fibre one from Spain, but ordered though this company in the UK http://www.that auction site.co.uk/usr/bluebird_engineering?ul_noapp=true  (You need to replace that auction site with its proper name in the link)

Pricier than the basic moulded one but looks class.  (fitted it with Sikaflex 291)

Mike

Edited by Mike5100
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike! I'd rather not drill into the fender if it's safe enough with sikaflex

Mike5100

Sikaflex is pricey 

http://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/manufacturers/sika_sikaflex_marine/sikaflex_sealants_and_adhesives_LC2894/sikaflex_291i_sika_marine_sealant_and_adhesive_black_300ml_P26111.html

But you only need a tiny bit.  When you have used some, make sure you seal the top (don;t leave the spout on) with lots of clingfilm.  Even so you may find the remainder solid when you next come to use it - I cut into the tube part way down so at least got two goes out of it.

Mike

(apologies if you already know about sikaflex)

• Like 1
PoppetM

My fender extender came off...and yet to put it back on. Rad guard seems to be doing its job.

enjoy it, it's aGorgeous colour!

Guest CharlieDelta

I ended up with 2 Pyramid extenders so have one brand new unopened going spare for £12 incl postage in UK  (requires 4 holes to be drilled).

Mind you that carbon one looks so much better!

Thanks Chris but already ordered the one Mike suggested... I do agree it looks classy.

Now for the Evotech rad guard... and hope for speedy deliveries!

Guest bonekicker

Don't drill the holes--it looks tacky--Gripfill or as above Sikaflex--it's best taking the front fender off--slightly rough up both surfaces and clean--a few dabs--and lightly clamp --leave over night to set up--somewhere warm this time of year.:thumbsup:

Congrats on finally getting the new machine, Lawrence. I think it's going to be brilliant on Maltese roads.

Mike5100
8 hours ago, CharlieDelta said:

I ended up with 2 Pyramid extenders so have one brand new unopened going spare for £12 incl postage in UK  (requires 4 holes to be drilled).

Mind you that carbon one looks so much better!

:DThat's exactly what happened to me Chris.  Got a cheapo Pyramid one then saw the carbon ones.  The method of fitting is worth discussing for people just buying them now.  Many of them come with a few strips of adhesive tape already fitted.  IMHO these should be scraped off and the surface cleaned with ideally 'Stickystuffremover' or failing that cellulose paint thinner. Once water penetrates the inevitable little gaps left around this stuff the entenda will come unstuck, and if you think about it and the direction the wheel is moving, it is possible that it could trash the mudguard and maybe get jammed under the mudguard bracket.  3M make a super strong double sided adhesive tape which I once tried, but it still came loose.  For this reason manufacturers often supply several small screws to hold it in place.  I'm sure this is a solid solution but to me looks ugly.  The Sikaflex looks like a permanent very good fix.  It's used by the marine industry for sticking/sealing jobs in probably worse environments than we are exposing the fenda extenda to.  It's a paste that you squeeze on to the flange of the extenda, then you have a bit of time to get it in position - maybe 30 minutes, and you need to find a way (tape?) of holding it there while it sets.  It's best not to get any of the sikaflex on the visible part of the mudguard, but it is easy to clean it off before it has set and possiblebut difficult  to do it afterwards.  It's fully set in 24 hours.  I have done 4 or 5 entenders now with the 291 compound and they are all bonded just as when I first did them (no screws used)

It is even possible to fit the extenda whilst the mudguard is still fitted, but I chose to take mine off so I could get the inside surface properly clean.

Mike

PS just had a look at people selling it - some pics look like the normal 300ml tube that you put in a squeeze gun but are in fact only 70ml.  That is enough for the job, but looks expensive

Edited by Mike5100
  • Like 1
Just now, Tex said:

Congrats on finally getting the new machine, Lawrence. I think it's going to be brilliant on Maltese roads.

Thanks!

Yes, it should be a great bike in Malta since the longest distances are 30kmish... and there are petrol stations ALL OVER the island so the small tank is not an issue.

That said, I intend on using the bike for touring Europe 7days/year so I will invest in a Fuel Friend jerry can for peace of mind.

Will you need the extra fuel ? It's a small tank but you get great fuel mileage so you should be able to tour as normal. I filled my tank and did almost 170 miles on the first day of ownership whilst doing a charity ride with 1600 other bikes . (See Martin Jennings charity ride  2016 on you tube. Look for the red 750X only one in the ride out.) Most other "faster bikes" had to fill up half way around the route. I was very pleased with the fuel mileage and tank range only filling the tank as I returned home. Did the same charity ride 2013 on a TDM 850 and almost ran out of fuel just past the half way around marker. 

Andy m

The reserve is huge too, well over 50 km after it starts flashing and carrying on.

Andy

I'll get to know the bike then before thinking about the extra fuel... this year European tour is out of the question... next year some nice Switzerland roads :ahappy:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bornagain

Hi all,

Quick tip - toolstation sell Polyurethane PU40 Sealant at about £4 a tube (85566)

I've now done 3 of these and done around 30k - no issues.

I remove all the tapes, give the "fender" a good clean and quick rough sanding on the mating surfaces, clean with brake cleaner then aim for a full even coat of PU.

I do also use the rivets - though the last time I salvaged the extender from a broken fender, it didn't come off in a hurry!

Regards,

Neil

Edited by bornagain
Rednc750se

Enjoy your new bike Lawrence.

MikeBike
On 19/01/2017 at 08:25, Mike5100 said:

The Sikaflex looks like a permanent very good fix.....

PS just had a look at people selling it - some pics look like the normal 300ml tube that you put in a squeeze gun but are in fact only 70ml.  That is enough for the job, but looks expensive

My experience (marine) with Sikaflex 291 is that whatever you have left after opening goes hard in the tube if stored so no point buying more than you need in the hope that 'one day' you'll need some more.

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1
Mike5100
1 hour ago, MikeBike said:

My experience (marine) with Sikaflex 291 is that whatever you have left after opening goes hard in the tube if stored so no point buying more than you need in the hope that 'one day' you'll need some more.

Yeah it's true, and seems like such a waste so you go asking all the family if they have anything that needs sticking :D

Last time I bought a tube I used about 5 % of it and of course next time I came to use it, despite wrapping everything in clingfilm it was rock solid.  BUT I could feel that the lower half of the tube was still soft, so took a hacksaw to it and was able to get more than enough to stick my last fenda extenda on the blue bike.

Mike

1 hour ago, Rednc750se said:

Enjoy your new bike Lawrence.

Thanks. Unfortunately I have a six-week recovery period from a medical intervention and will not be able to ride it :( will try to put on the centre stand and rear rack in the meantime