NC750S 2014 Bike - not starting

Guest Akin

Hello everyone,

I hope you're enjoying your bikes. I have a problem with my bike. I hope you could help.

I rode my bike about 700 km. I parked briefly to confirm direction. I tried to start but it won't start.  I waited till the following morning to try starting the bike but still it won't start.  This had happened before but then the bike started within 5 minutes. My bike is nc750s manual 2014. On the instrument cluster, I observed that  when I turn the ignition on, the  HISS light goes out , the gear indicator shows '-' regardless of gear lever position, the PGM/MIL light remains on even with the engine stop switch in the run position. I also do not hear any sound from the fuel Pump as it normally does when I turn the ignition on. 

Does anyone know what is going on and how to solve this problem? I would love to get your response. 

Guest bonekicker

Akinwande you seem to have the very same problem as Alex --see other new post--have you checked the battery terminalss?? dont just see if they are tight--take them off and check for corrosion--spray with WD 40 or similar and refit--other than that--please wait for someone really clever to answer yo and give advice.:thumbsup:

trisaki

Put a meter across  the battery  terminals  - probably  less than 10 volts with  ignition  turned on

Edited by trisaki
hadn't finished
1 hour ago, bonekicker said:

Akinwande you seem to have the very same problem as Alex --see other new post--have you checked the battery terminalss?? dont just see if they are tight--take them off and check for corrosion--spray with WD 40 or similar and refit--other than that--please wait for someone really clever to answer yo and give advice.:thumbsup:

Thank you for your response.  I'm unable to reach the location of my bike right now but will tomorrow .

Could you give me the link to Alex post or the title of his post. 

Thank you. 

Swissheavy

Sounds daft, but have u checked you've not knocked the kill switch? From what you've described it doesn't sound like it, but you never know. 

3 minutes ago, Swissheavy said:

Sounds daft, but have u checked you've not knocked the kill switch? From what you've described it doesn't sound like it, but you never know. 

Not daft! Like you said, you never know. 

I checked the kill switch already.  Some earlier posts suggested problems with battery which I'll check tomorrow. Thanks

Mikdent
17 minutes ago, Akin said:

Thank you for your response.  I'm unable to reach the location of my bike right now but will tomorrow .

Could you give me the link to Alex post or the title of his post. 

Thank you. 

Here you go Akin. :) 

Doesn't sound like the same symptoms to me.

What should the gear indicator show when the bike is in neutral? And does it? If the bike 'thinks' it's in gear it won't start. Try it with the clutch pulled in and side stand 'up'. Also check the operation of the side stand switch.

Edited by Tex
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tex said:

Doesn't sound like the same symptoms to me.

What should the gear indicator show when the bike is in neutral? And does it? If the bike 'thinks' it's in gear it won't start. Try it with the clutch pulled in and side stand 'up'. Also check the operation of the side stand switch.

Thanks for your response.  As my bike isn't here with me until tomorrow, do you know if there is any time the gear indicator should indicate '-', for example if the side stand is down?

Mine is a DCT which has a (slightly) different dash display, I think. The DCT will start normally with the side stand down but won't select a gear. The manual should  start with the side stand down providing it is in neutral. The three safety switches are neutral switch, stand switch, clutch switch.  Like I say, try it with the clutch in - it 'overrides' the other two.

So far, my attention has been drawn to the following:

1. Battery terminal for corrosion and tightness;

2. Battery voltage when ignition is on (Is it around 10 volts);

3.  Starter relay switch for replacement if affected by Honda safety recall of July 2015;

4. Side stand switch operation.

Just looking back, I remembered my battery was hot when I felt it. I dismissed it as it could be due to it being close to the engine compartment.  Does anyone observe if the battery should be hot after riding. Note that here my ambient temperature is around 30 - 32°C (87 - 90°F).

In case of others with similar problem, I find Alex post very related (http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/14098-everything-on-the-bike-completely-dead/#comment-172045).

33 minutes ago, Tex said:

Mine is a DCT which has a (slightly) different dash display, I think. The DCT will start normally with the side stand down but won't select a gear. The manual should  start with the side stand down providing it is in neutral. The three safety switches are neutral switch, stand switch, clutch switch.  Like I say, try it with the clutch in - it 'overrides' the other two.

Thanks! I will try it tomorrow. 

Hi Akin

I had a similar issue when my NC700 Integra wouldn't start.

The problem was tarnished connector pins in the connector block which supplies the right hand switches for the kill switch. This stopped the supply of 12V to the kill switch, so even though the switch was physically in the "run" position it had no supply and therefore the fuel pump cut relay was not powered (so the pump didn't run) and the starter would not operate, exactly the same effect as if the switch was in the "off" position. On my bike it was a big blue connector block behind the right side fairing panel. You can follow the thread here

• Like 1

i did  what you did -in Spain many years ago on a XJ900 - a shaft driven yam if you dont know.
Stopped to take a photo and switched off - went to start again -NOTHING.

I checked the battery - a older type with acid in it - except mine was DRY.

What to do - no mobiles then -no Spanish and so thought better put something in it

So i had a choice of

• home made fluid -the type you dont want to expel when a load of nuns arrive
  • put in something else that's wet

I had a bottle of Tesco's cheapo lemonade - not sure why - and filled it with that. Result! bike started and I rode down to Gibralter and saw a bike dealer.

He confirmed that my rectifier wasnt doing its job -so the alternator had cooked the battery and boiled off the juice.

What to do? I was going to Maroc and no spares about. he said "keep the revs down and top up the battery every day"

it worked - lovely holiday and made it back to Blighty ok

so all points to your battery in my opinion!

bazza

1 hour ago, embee said:

Hi Akin

The problem was tarnished connector pins in the connector block which supplies the right hand switches for the kill switch. This stopped the supply of 12V to the kill switch, so even though the switch was physically in the "run" position it had no supply and therefore the fuel pump cut relay was not powered (so the pump didn't run) and the starter would not operate, exactly the same effect as if the switch was in the "off" position. On my bike it was a big blue connector block behind the right side fairing panel. You can follow the thread here

Thanks! I'm  going to follow the thread right away. 

2 hours ago, embee said:

Hi Akin

I read the thread entirely and found your description to closely match my situation although I also have a replacement relay ( from my CB400 super four - relay part number is MR5)ready against the morning just in case. 

Could you guide me on how you cleaned/fixed the connector?

At the time I just sprayed inside it with contact cleaner, which the workshop guy had available, and worked the connector in/out a few times. It got me home with no further problems. Since then I've taken the connector apart and gently scraped the contact pins with a very thin needle file which I have, added some dielectric grease and refitted.

If I had to guess I'd say the pins were tarnished when the harness was made, just 2 of them looked a dull grey colour, the others were perfectly clean and bright.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, embee said:

At the time I just sprayed inside it with contact cleaner, which the workshop guy had available, and worked the connector in/out a few times. It got me home with no further problems. Since then I've taken the connector apart and gently scraped the contact pins with a very thin needle file which I have, added some dielectric grease and refitted.

If I had to guess I'd say the pins were tarnished when the harness was made, just 2 of them looked a dull grey colour, the others were perfectly clean and bright.

Thank you for your response.  I'll do that in the morning. 

5 hours ago, Akin said:

Thanks

Thank you for your response.  I'll do that in the morning. 

Thank you very much Embee and everyone that have given their opinion on this problem. I really appreciate you and this forum. 

The problem was as Embee described it.  Your solution worked.  Meanwhile, I'll check my starter relay to see if it was recalled by Honda sou that I can replace if necessary. 

Regards,

Akinwande 

I love a happy ending! :)

• Like 1

I would like to upload a picture showing the location of the blue connector on NC750S, which is quite different from where you find it on the Integra. 

It's located behind the headlight. 

How do I upload image on my phone?

I'm the bottom left hand corner of the 'reply' box is a 'paper clip', next to that it says 'Click to choose files' Click that, then it will offer you the choice of taking a new photo or to select the photo you want from your image folders. Easy.

Edited by Tex