Bent key

ncmf

Hi, I have bent one of my keys. Honda havce said that they will charge 80 pounds, this includes ordering in a new key, and coding it.

I think they will need me to get the blank key cut at a locksmith.

Is there a cheaper / easier way to do this. I know on some bikes, there is an ignition sequence that can be used to code a new blank.

Thanks,

Guest scrumpymike

Sorry I can't help but thanks for flagging up the cost - I bet I'm not the only forum member who will be taking extra care from now on.

glad to help :cry:

That was one place ive tried, Ill let you know if I can get it cheaper.

Rev Ken

You can get a standard blank, get it cut at your local locksmith, and attache the programmed key fob from the bent key to the same key ring - or even attach it to the new key and it will still work as the bike isn't that intelligent to know that the key used doesn't have the chip in it! This workd out at less than half teh price you have been quoted....

• Like 1

Thanks, Ill try that. ALthough I have tried this before as the same thing happened to me on a ST1300 and it didnt regognise the blank key - although i did have the new plastic still attached so ill give this another go.

Thanks,

Guest hairnet

what ken said

most honda from 06 or so have had them if the fob is within a couple of feet of the hiss module at the headstock itll pick up the signal

6 quid for a key is better than 65 quid :D

all bike keys from about 1975 have been made of cheese lol

Guest Naana

It seems these keys are easy to bend! Take care with them guys...

I managed to bend mine very slightly before the first service. I was standing on the "wrong" side of the bike and reached over the seat to open the tank to show someone. It felt like an awkward angle and I think that was when I bent it. It was difficult after that to get it fully into the ignition switch. My dealer straightened it for me at the service (really wasn't bent much at all, just slightly twisted) so it's fine now. But I wouldn't want to risk doing it again, I don't think the metal the keys are made of will take too many bending and bending back episodes.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting an un-chipped "spare" made up to keep in a secret pocket of my jacket or something just in case I lock the real one in the not-the-tank... Also useful when I've already started the bike to let it warm up a little and think "oh b*gger, need to put this in there..."

Rev Ken

Honda keys are notoriously flimsy - take care as they are expensive to replace if you have to get them programmed. On other sites there are methods to reprogrammed yourself, but the NC700 may or may not - be the same. We just need a brave soul to try.....

Ill try that with my bent one.

I think a spare additional spare key to carry is wise, Im also worried about clsing the tank lid on it.