NC750X Acceleration Lag

Guest The NC Landscape designer

Hi All,

New to the forum and in need of some advice before I take the Garages word on things . I have an issue I was on the M25 yesterday and shifting from 5th to 6th and I shifted released the clutch and basically nothing happens for a second or so and then I get a weak but increased in acceleration. This then happened 4th to 5th

I understand that it could be my clutch slipping but to say a clutch is gone on a 15 plate with 10,500 on the clock is a bit much. The shop on the phone obviously come up with the user ERROR for a warn clutch but I do not see how that is possible as my clutch use is pretty standard and I don't do anything untoward.

I do also have the Honda NC issue on start up about 3 mins into a ride it drops a cylinder and then management light appears. once you stop and ignition off everything is ok for the duration. (I have been told this is a management problem and Honda is aware.)

if you could offer some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Marc

The NC Landscape Designer

Hello Marc, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're having 'issues' with you bike! As far as I know neither of the problems you outline are at all 'common'. There have been a few clutches changed under warranty, but I'm unsure of the details. I would try a different (better!) dealer. Good luck.

In the garage's defence, it does sound like a slipping clutch although it would be very unlucky to have that problem at such a low mileage.

Also never heard of the 'dropping a cylinder' issue you mention - pretty serious in a twin-cylinder bike! :ahappy:

• Like 1

It's not clear from your description whether you're not getting power (i.e. engine is not responding to the throttle) or if the clutch is slipping (engine speeds up but doesn't transmit the drive to the wheel). Easy to tell the difference, if the clutch is slipping the rev counter goes up but the speedo doesn't. Make sure there is always some slack in the clutch cable, and that it isn't sticking (can happen if a strand breaks for example). There should always be a few mm of free movement at the end of the clutch lever before you feel the clutch load.

If you're having issues with a cylinder cutting out could it simply be that happening?

It's definitely not a normal nor a common NC thing for one cylinder to cut out at any time. Sounds to me like you need that issue sorted first. Usual issues are with connectors. In this case it could be a simple as one of the plug leads not fitted correctly. Spark plugs can fail, but it's not usual for them to stop firing then come back in as you describe, so I'd say they are probably OK (but I'd have a look at them anyway, it might indicate which cylinder is having the issue).

Next check the low voltage connectors onto the 2 ignition coils, then check the connectors onto the injectors. I'd also check the connector for the crank pick-up, that is fundamental to the ignition system working properly.

The engine management should have a fault code stored I would think, that would give a clue as to what the fault might be, though with a cylinder cutting out it might need some intelligent interpretation (a cylinder failing to fire will put oxygen into the exhaust so the lambda (EGO) sensor will indicate a fault, but it may well be perfectly OK itself).

Edited by embee
  • Like 1

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. .

I am defiantly resigned to the fact that it will be a slipping clutch and just got to wait now until it gets investigated to find out if the part is the covered or is under' wear and tear'. I still don't have a clue how it can be my driving style though ! Didn't think I was one of 'them'  ha ha

Thanks embee for the pointers, the garage said it was an ignition issue but they thought they had fixed it but said if it happened again to come back. I am defiantly pushing them on this now.

I just wished I had swapped it a 3 month ago for the new NC ... I changed my mind last minute .

I will let you know the outcome.

Daft question re clutch what engine oil is being used and did you or the previous owner if its a used machine add any additives to the oil ?  I had a bike and the last owner had added Slick 50 the clutch slipped like Eddy the Eagle on a ski slope.

I had to drop the oil,  flush the case with flushing oil, remove the plates clean the steel's and fit new clutch plates and springs.

+2 dropping onto one pot it's not a common NC trait at all.  If it does it again try swapping the plug to the other side and see if it drops out at that side. If so it's a duff plug , it happens sometimes but if it still drops on the original pot it's ether ignition or fuel. Have you another Honda dealership near you as from the workshops comments I suspect a whiff of BS from the workshop.  Always worth a visit to another dealer for a second opinion . 

I don't think you have an issue with the clutch, you will felt that in all gears, especially in first. On my 2016 NC, the 6th gear is like yours, any throttle response is delayed, or more exactly have less influence on speed. I personally use that gear only on long motorway rides, but if I need to overtake I immediately go to 5th or even 4th, I don't stay in 6th.

Thanks Arengle ... but I could probably read war and Peace by the time it decided to accelerate ! lol...   It did happen between 4 and 5th too  I too only stay in 6th if I am at a high constant cruise. It defiantly does not happen in 1st 2nd or 3rd .

I am wondering if it is clutch lever adjustment problem,  I noticed there isn't the play that is required.  

If in any doubt simply slacken off the adjuster a bit on the cable at the handlebar lever. There just has to be "some" free play before you feel the load of the clutch springs, a few mm at the end of the lever should do. It can change between hot/cold a little, so just check it has some free play at all times.

Is the clutch lever action smooth and light, or is it notchy and stiff (worn cable)? Some folk have reported the lever getting tight on the pivot pin, this can cause clutch slip since it means some load remains in the cable pulling against the stiff lever. Usually simply some thin oil will free it off but preferably undo the locknut 21 underneath and unscrew the pin 19, clean and lube, refit pin and locknut making sure the lever is nice and free.

F_03.jpg

Sorry to repeat the question, but does the engine speed up but the bike doesn't (clutch slip), or does the engine simply not produce any power when you try to accelerate?

Edited by embee
  • Like 1

Clutch adjustment, best bet.

Worn clutch (mostly on higher miles machines)

Contaminated clutch plates (oil additives )

Weak clutch springs or slotted basket (mostly high mileage machines)

My money is on clutch cable adjustment or clutch cable frayed . 

Your dealer should have picked this up and not jumped to "new clutch plates sir".  And the "common problem" with cutting out is porkies from them. I would find a new dealership pronto.

27 minutes ago, The NC Landscape designer said:

Hi Embee ,

Revs increase and no acceleration until it kicks in and winds up to speed

Cheers

I think Murray just gave you the answer!

I was taught that clutch slip is especially noticed when opening throttle at higher gears (say 5th of 6th in the NC case) rather than the lower ones. 

Thanks all, Yes it turned out to be the Cable

Plus new Chain Sprockets and a new Rear Tyre 

They still cant figure out the problem with the cylinder dropping .... 

Didn't have to pay for the problems as .. 

I got sucked in  !! my finance term is up so I succumbed to buying a New  Black NC750x  ... ha ha ha

The wife seems pleased (I Think Lol  )

Edited by The NC Landscape designer
Derek_Mac
24 minutes ago, The NC Landscape designer said:

>snip<

Didn't have to pay for the problems as .. 

I got sucked in  !! my finance term is up so I succumbed to buying a New  Black NC750x  ... ha ha ha

The wife seems pleased (I Think Lol  )

Every cloud has a silver lining. ;)

Rednc750se

Glad to hear you have had a good finish to your problem. Enjoy your new bike.

Edited by Rednc750se
trisaki

If any members  can get to my wshop in West Sussex  i am more then happy to check  their bikes over for silly niggly faults  and give advice free of charge  especially  if their dealers can't sort or can't be bothered  to sort ie cable adjustment  - chain adjustment  etc  pm me for directions  

Edited by trisaki
  • Like 5