Chain change only? Or sprockets too?

bat-kam

Yep, I'd say that sprocket's cream crackered.

If you go for the brasilian belt jobbie, don't worry about the belt breaking, they've conveniently left the chain on just in case (red arrow) ......

Belt%20Drive%20Conversion%20-%20Brasil%20Front%20Pulley_zpsvvebzmu6.jpg

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, embee said:

Yep, I'd say that sprocket's cream crackered.

If you go for the brasilian belt jobbie, don't worry about the belt breaking, they've conveniently left the chain on just in case (red arrow) ......

Belt%20Drive%20Conversion%20-%20Brasil%20Front%20Pulley_zpsvvebzmu6.jpg

There's wrong with your eyesight then, well spotted! :). :)

This morning I managed to change the chain with mostly my left hand a two and a bit fingers from my right hand ;). BTW fingers are getting better. 

On close inspection Putting new sprockets over the old ones I confirmed that there is minimum wear and tear so left them on. In addition the new front sprocket is 16T and it should be 17T. 

• Like 1

Well done! I'm impressed that you made the effort considering the injury to your right hand! Yeah, good move not putting the smaller front sprocket on - it would have cocked up your DCT!

20 minutes ago, bat-kam said:

On close inspection Putting new sprockets over the old ones I confirmed that there is minimum wear and tear so left them on. In addition the new front sprocket is 16T and it should be 17T. 

I'm presuming you mean old sprockets over the new ones, you won't see much wear with new over old ;)

The 700 had a 16T at the gearbox, obviously what you've been supplied with.

6 hours ago, embee said:

The 700 had a 16T at the gearbox, obviously what you've been supplied with.

Correct. I picked up a set for 700 of that auction site because i was going to lower the gearing but reading other posts on here I realised that fo DCT it is not that good idea. 

I will put it up in for sale part.

Don't worry, the new chain will soon stretch to match the part worn sprockets. :cry:

• 1 year later...

So..... has anyone actually bitten the bullet and done the belt conversion??

I put a standard DID chain on the bike about 3 months ago and it's already pretty much knackered after about 3000 miles of motorway mileage. Scottoiler fitted, cleaned and adjusted regulalry but hardly any adjsutment left and tight spots everywhere so wondering if this could be the answer.

Have read somewhere about being able to fit a heavier duty chain (525) but couldn't find any details, again, anyone done this and got any details that they could pass on??

Trying to weigh up all the options before changing them out.

Thanks in advance......

Defender

I think someone did, but I can't remember who it was right now, but someone will.

ste7ios
16 minutes ago, kevcl15 said:

So..... has anyone actually bitten the bullet and done the belt conversion??

I put a standard DID chain on the bike about 3 months ago and it's already pretty much knackered after about 3000 miles of motorway mileage. Scottoiler fitted, cleaned and adjusted regulalry but hardly any adjsutment left and tight spots everywhere so wondering if this could be the answer.

Have read somewhere about being able to fit a heavier duty chain (525) but couldn't find any details, again, anyone done this and got any details that they could pass on??

Trying to weigh up all the options before changing them out.

Thanks in advance......

Something is wrong. Chain too tight at the installation? Scottoiler not well adjusted or installed? 3,000 mi is really nothing...

I’m still on the initial OEM (DID) chain with 20,974 mi (90% commuting, 10% windy roads, motorway, and some off-road). Scottoiler adjusted to 1 drop / 60”. Chain cleaned once per year or more. It looks like can give me more than 40,000 mi in total...

Scottoiler is checked on every cleaning (tube, needle position, air bubbles), about every month or more. I only had to replace a small portion of the tube because of a leak...

Thanks for the replies, have kept the chain on the "looser" side rather than tight, scottoiler set on 1 drop/30 s, dual injector fitted coupled with a Magnum HCR. The chain was only a "standard" HID fitted to get me thtrough the summer for a full chain and sprocket change over the winter when the bike's off the road, looking like it's probably going to be sooner as there's hardly any adjustment left. Also, it rusts as soon as you look at it (that'll learn me to buy a cheap chain, but it was for the reasons previoulsy stated!!), looks like it's been sat at the bottom of the Thames if it's ridden in the rain :-(

Had thought about a belt conversion before coming across this thread, hence the interest.........

ste7ios

Is the oil really applied on the chain? Never had any problem with rust...

Yeah, it's the side plates that are rusting, they go even if I spray with chain wax on top....... never buying a "standard" chain again, false economy.

shiggsy
57 minutes ago, ste7ios said:

Is the oil really applied on the chain? Never had any problem with rust...

I think the weather in Carmarthenshire will probably not be as good as it is in Athens :) 

ste7ios

I’m not sure for that anymore! :D Two weeks now is raining every now and then for some minutes! :P (ok we drowned two times...)

I have seen rust on my brake discs many times, nothing to worry me about the chain...

Definitely a nice X-Ring chain is much better.