which coolant

firatc

Walklikegump
On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:19, Andy m said:

What's the price difference to Honda? I'm thinking reading a dozen spec sheets isn't worth the cost and worry compared to walking into a dealer (or going through Fowlers) and asking for NC750 coolant. If I was running Stobarts it would be worth the read, but for a few litres every two years?

Andy

I agree . So rather than use the Prestone on my shelf , I thought I would call the Dealer and ask what is in my 2018XD . doh.

This dealer got very little right from day one, so shouldn't have expected anything different.

Ring ring

BOY: parts and service, how can I help you.

ME: I need the same antifreeze that is in my Honda NC750X DCT . Could you tell me which  was used and if you have it in stock please?

BOY: Where do you want the antifreeze?

ME: <head scratch> hmmm , I want ot buy a bottle of the same as the one on my bike, a 2018 NC750X DCT

BOY: We use Motul for most things , it is in stock and £5.99.

ME: SO that's what's in my bike?

BOY: Yes.

Googled Motul and it looks yellow. I am sure the stuff in my bike is blue.

Oh well.

arengle
3 minutes ago, Walklikegump said:

I agree . So rather than use the Prestone on my shelf , I thought I would call the Dealer and ask what is in my 2018XD . doh.

This dealer got very little right from day one, so shouldn't have expected anything different.

Ring ring

BOY: parts and service, how can I help you.

ME: I need the same antifreeze that is in my Honda NC750X DCT . Could you tell me which  was used and if you have it in stock please?

BOY: Where do you want the antifreeze?

ME: <head scratch> hmmm , I want ot buy a bottle of the same as the one on my bike, a 2018 NC750X DCT

BOY: We use Motul for most things , it is in stock and £5.99.

ME: SO that's what's in my bike?

BOY: Yes.

Googled Motul and it looks yellow. I am sure the stuff in my bike is blue.

Oh well.

they also have blue ones

Grumpy old man

I don't think the yellow is sillicote free so be careful. My dealer did exactly the same provided me with yellow but I checked before I used it so didn't. 

• Like 1
embee

The colour is just a dye, and there are no fixed conventions for colour/spec. Generally the green/blue variants tend to have a shorter service life than the red/pink/purple, but it's not definitive.

There is definitely no fixed convention on colour/silicate/borate type anti-corrosion packs. Most OAT type packs do not contain silicates/borates but again I believe there are various "hybrid" coolants for specific manufacturers, see for example the listings on https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/subcategory/13

I've been using their Xstream G30 which I had data sheets for showing it was silicate free, but the latest data sheets aren't specific in this regard. They also do a generic superlonglife red for which the tech data sheet states specifically NAP/silicate/borate free. https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/298

Edited by embee
Grumpy old man
12 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

I don't think the yellow is sillicote free so be careful. My dealer did exactly the same provided me with yellow but I checked before I used it so didn't. 

Perhaps I should clarify, yellow Motul is not silicate free as I understand.

• Like 1
Walklikegump

I asked the boy on the phone to ask the service guy what is in mine and what should I use. 

He came back with a liter of..... Honda Pro. 

Looks the same colour so will stick to it. 

Thanks for all the replies. 

• Like 2