valve clearence adjustment

firatc

Hi Folks,

My NC700X is due for a major service (16K). Unfortunately, I can not do the valve clearance checks and fork oil inspection/change, since, I am not capable of doing them. I was wondering how essential they are - could I wait until 24K to get these done? I do not feel that there is any problem with how the bike delivers power. MPG is decent. I just don't want to keep paying £450 for the service and I buy better parts than the parts used as part of the service. 

Any thoughts please let me know.

I personally can do the following changes/inspections

- Oil/Oil filter (K&N)

- Air filter change (K&N) - this is not absolutely necessary as far as I understand however, I will change it since I have the part

- Spark plug inspection/change

- Brake fluid if necessary

- coolant change

- chain adjustment etc...

Thanks

Firat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Graham NZ

• Rocker66

• embee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi, Not disagreeing with what has been said here but I would like to try to clarify some misleading/incorrect descriptions that can be found in various videos, threads and in particular an older

The following may help budding tappet adjusters.   Checking and adjustment is recommended at 12,000km intervals but is that really necessary?  Check out other owners’ findings.   I

The design of the valve cover disappointed me.  No positive means of locating it in place other than the three wavering long screws.  Getting those screws to locate into their threaded holes caused me

£450?! I'm not surprised you don't want to keep forking out that much! Why don't you do the things you can do, and pay someone to do the parts you can't?

Have a word with Mark (Trisaki) who has a motorcycle repair business in West Sussex near Arundel.

• Like 1
gonzo

I had this problem 2 years ago with valve check at 16000 miles with my transalp, honda wanted £280 so i suggested that i do the service and they do the valves, but i also wanted my book stamped, they agreed to do it for £120 ,and they told me after the work was done that none needed adjustment, .You could try that,

• Like 2
trisaki
5 hours ago, firatc said:

Hi Folks,

My NC700X is due for a major service (16K). Unfortunately, I can not do the valve clearance checks and fork oil inspection/change, since, I am not capable of doing them. I was wondering how essential they are - could I wait until 24K to get these done? I do not feel that there is any problem with how the bike delivers power. MPG is decent. I just don't want to keep paying £450 for the service and I buy better parts than the parts used as part of the service. 

Any thoughts please let me know.

I personally can do the following changes/inspections

- Oil/Oil filter (K&N)

- Air filter change (K&N) - this is not absolutely necessary as far as I understand however, I will change it since I have the part

- Spark plug inspection/change

- Brake fluid if necessary

- coolant change

- chain adjustment etc...

Thanks

Firat

Hi get in touch if you  want it done cheaper  pm me !  - Nc700x  should have valves done  at 8000 miles    2nd time at 16000 just done one at 8000 miles and all the valves were tight so yes they do need  checking  

• Like 2
Grumpy old man

Had mine done today on a 16000 miles service, apparently they were quite tight,NC750X.

• Like 1
Guest architectural_phil

FYI  - i paid £520 for the 16K full service and this also included chain set replacement. - rides so much better for it all! :ahappy:

Guest sykospain

Seeing those prices - £450 and £520 for a scheduled maintenance service, when I know exactly how much mano de obra is involved in the job, makes me think I'm in the wrong game.

59 minutes ago, architectural_phil said:

FYI  - i paid £520 for the 16K full service and this also included chain set replacement. - rides so much better for it all! :ahappy:

As long as you're happy, that's good enough! An American friend was quoted $1200 for a 7,500 mile service on his Ducati Monster. He decided to do some of the work himself and got the quote down to $600. He's left it with them while he goes off on an adventure on his KTM (alright for some, eh?). :D

• Like 1
20 hours ago, trisaki said:

Hi get in touch if you  want it done cheaper  pm me !  - Nc700x  should have valves done  at 8000 miles    2nd time at 16000 just done one at 8000 miles and all the valves were tight so yes they do need  checking  

Thanks for your swift reply! I sent you a message including my contact details.

• 2 months later...
Graham NZ

My Jazz needed a tappet adjustment at 50,000km and then 100,000km.  As the NC engine is based on the Jazz why would it need more frequent adjustments?  Such a low revving engine may need an initial check to pick up any assembly error, but after that it should go forever without adjustment. A friend's V-Strom 650 is now on 125,000km and though checked a couple of times, no adjustment ever needed.  If it idles evenly when hot, the clearances are OK.

My Buell XB12Ss has hydraulic tappets...........😊

Edited by Graham NZ
  • Like 1
Guest aldmannie
2 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

My Buell XB12Ss has hydraulic tappets...........😊

Because it would shake screw and locknuts loose...?

Graham NZ

On a modern, low revving engine?  Unlikely, especially with a Honda. I have worked on engines for 58 years and have never come across screw and locknut tappets working loose.  A fair few seemed welded tight though!

A bit too much clearance might be noisy but a good hot idle is a fair indicator that no clearances are dangerously tight.

Frequent checking is just a fraud IMHO.

• Like 2
Andy m
33 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

.....  As the NC engine is based on the Jazz why would it need more frequent adjustments?  ...........😊

Because the motorcycle market not only accepts lower service intervals but gets suspicious if they don't have them. While the motorcyclist is waiting to have the air in the tyres inspected the sales team can get to work. Motorcyclists will ask if they can pay to hear the sales pitch.

You will note they change the air filter at one interval and oil at the next? It evens the prices up and gets you in the dealer twice.

Double glazing, time share and religious pamphlet hawkers must be envious!

The Hurley-Pugh BTW has hydraulic tappets. The owners club hate them: no more avoiding the wife by hiding in the garage with a ten thou feeler gauge or getting a bit of group activity going with a fag paper outside a club meet!

Andy

• Like 1
Rocker66
11 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Because the motorcycle market not only accepts lower service intervals but gets suspicious if they don't have them. While the motorcyclist is waiting to have the air in the tyres inspected the sales team can get to work. Motorcyclists will ask if they can pay to hear the sales pitch.

You will note they change the air filter at one interval and oil at the next? It evens the prices up and gets you in the dealer twice.

Double glazing, time share and religious pamphlet hawkers must be envious!

The Hurley-Pugh BTW has hydraulic tappets. The owners club hate them: no more avoiding the wife by hiding in the garage with a ten thou feeler gauge or getting a bit of group activity going with a fag paper outside a club meet!

Andy

Cynicism rules 😀

Andy m

I go to the meetings. They don't invite engineers unless some huge fleet is waving a report that says they should make the service interval longer. No such fleets exist in the bike world (except possibly the Australian Post office).

Andy

Edited by Andy m
Graham NZ

Ooops!  I missed the point about fear of screw and locknuts working loose being the reason Buells and HD engines have hydraulic tappets.  Maybe, but it works!

I hope my NC750SD matches the faultless record and ease of maintenance of my Buell.  I accept that the Honda will be lot more demanding to maintain. Water cooling, adjustable tappets, chain drive, cam chain, two oil filters, a cunningly concealed air filter element, extraordinarily complex transmission and electrics, a computer needed to tune it - a lot to maintain and a lot of complexity.  Maybe the two bikes couldn't be more different?  I can do all the maintenance on my Buell, even set the throttle position sensor with a laptop.

Edited by Graham NZ
Guest aldmannie
6 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

On a modern, low revving engine?

The Harley engine in a Buell Lightning is modern?

That's a cracker, best laugh I've had all week.

rjp996

I agreed with the dealer that if the bike ran ok they would leave the 'visual inspection' and stamp my book.

My personal feeling is that if the engine runs fine, then 18k value checks are a not critical.

I may do mine, myself once the weather gets warmer and I have a free time, but that's going to be at prob 45k.

I see both tight and loose valves on my kids quad bike and the other week on the lawn tractor and they affect the starting, and higher speed running characteristics when reasonable out.

But its everyones own decision on how much risk they want to take - if it was a Continental in the nose of a singe engine Cirrus, then yep I would stick to the manual.

• Like 1
Rocker66
1 hour ago, aldmannie said:

The Harley engine in a Buell Lightning is modern?

That's a cracker, best laugh I've had all week.

Has your Honda got Hydraulic tappets? Oh no it has got old fashioned ones. HD engines are much improved over recent years. Another case of anti HD bias I assume.

Guest aldmannie
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

Has your Honda got Hydraulic tappets? Oh no it has got old fashioned ones. HD engines are much improved over recent years. Another case of anti HD bias I assume.

The Buell Lightning referred to in this thread ceased production fifteen years ago in 2002, hardly "recent".

I don't have a Honda, but as you doubtless know, Honda have built many bikes with hydraulic tappets.

And yes it is flagrant Harley bias, I openly and unashamedly dislike the Harley brand, which given your position on scooters shouldn't cause you any difficulty whatsoever. :)

Tex
38 minutes ago, aldmannie said:

And yes it is flagrant Harley bias, I openly and unashamedly dislike the Harley brand, which given your position on scooters shouldn't cause you any difficulty whatsoever. :)

Oh Christ! Don't say you promised your late father that you'd never ride a Harley?! :D 

• Like 1
Rocker66

But then I don't go around insulting scooters at every opportunity I just say they are not for me. I even had a member of this forum who also rides a scooter help me get back on  wheels by driving several miles to my home to take me to the dealers to try out the CB 500However it seems that you and some other members feel it necessary to insult Harley's at every opportunity. Why not just get on and enjoy your ride and let others enjoy theirs. Remember there are enough people who are anti motorcycles without us turning on our own.

• Like 1
outrunner

I see no harm in a bit of gentle mockery now and then.:ahappy:

Andy.

Rocker66
8 minutes ago, outrunner said:

I see no harm in a bit of gentle mockery now and then.:ahappy:

Andy.

If only was just now and then but anti HD comments about both the bikes and riders are all too frequent on here.