Water pump failure suspected

Crofty

Reckless

When I mentioned the silicone in regard to refitting the seal on the cx500 it was due to how the job was done, the old seal and its rubber boot were pulled out of the seal holder, the rubber boot etc pulled out of the new seal holder and stuck into the old seal holder that is still secure in the engine with the sillicone

Hi Bill   I will probably go with a little bit of red rubber grease instead as Murray suggested. got all the o rings and parts cleaned up and ready for installation on Friday, if it goes well might get it out at the weekend.

I fitted the second hand pump that I bought from that auction site today and after a run it is looking good. I fitted the pump in 2 stages like the manual suggests and it was a bit fiddly but did,nt take to long. Murray's tip to use red rubber grease to hold the O rings/gaskets in place was a great help. Now filled with silicate free coolant and ready for a big trip in a few weeks. Thanks for all the help and advice.

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

Hello Crofty, I will have to replace O-ring 11 on my NC750x because I have an oil leak coming from this area. I wanted to know if you managed to removed the pump in two steps as described in the user manual or if you had to lift the engine in the frame to get the top screw 6X35 MM ?

THANK YOU.

You might be lucky and it is indeed the O-ring. However a friend had an oil leak from the pump on his 700 Deauville which turned out to be the oil seal within the pump (the overall design is very similar to the NC in concept). He got a new pump from the USA for around half the cost in the UK (though duty was charged). I don't know if the NC oil seal is reachable/replaceable, the inner bearing needs to come out to get to it. It's not listed as a service part so you'd have to get it out and decide what spec it was to see if it's available from bearing stockists etc.

• Thanks 1

Well, all went OK, the pump get out from the engine without forcing at any steps. It's only a matter of following the manual instructions. I have replaced all the seals as per manual's recomendation. Everything is back in place, coolant filled and test engine ran and no leak so far. I won't be able to have a road drive because it is snowing today.

I hope my oil leak didn't come from the weep hole....I 'm confident about the faulty O-ring as there were oil all around the water pump assembly. In addition, I've found the weep hole dirty ( black old oil stains ) and I was wondering if the oil was coming out from there it would had be clean...

We will see...Next episode will be next time I'm able to have a long enough ride on the road.

Hope it all goes well, sorry i missed your request but as you,ve found out it is fiddly but doable. Look forward to your first good run report.