JM750XDE

Chain and sprocket - 10k mileage - deemed to tight to survive

JM750XDE

Esteemed enthusiasts- 

just had the 'you're at the end of life' comment from Honda service centre regarding my chain. Apparently it's a little tight in places and they recommend new chain and sprocket at a cost of £230. 

Milage is 10k, chain seems a little tight in the odd place so I'll try and loosen it up and lube it well. 

They said it could cause chain failure in less than 100 miles and that it should be replaced asap upon fear of the chain snapping - is this fear factor or reality. 

It seems fine to me.    

aldmannie

I've had a chain snap on me once on the motorway, not something I would care to repeat.

It came off cleanly enough, didn't lock the wheel but did around a thousand pounds worth of damage to the bike as it departed.

£230 sounds a bit expensive, if that's an endless chain supplied and fitted I suppose it isn't too bad.

If you can do some spannering a replacement kit shouldn't cost anywhere near that.

e.g. JT kit for just £76 https://tinyurl.com/mgsrt5w

Or a D.I.D.one for £110 https://tinyurl.com/lbohmww

Edited by aldmannie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JM750XDE

Thank you 👍

motorbykcourier

I get about 25K miles for a chain, but don't always change the sprockets at the same time - specially if its coming up to winter.

Would recommend using Honda sprockets - they run smoother & quieter

Of course a good X ring chain.

Cost for all ~ £175

Also have a Tuturo chain oiler fitted.

TTFN

• Like 1

shiggsy

10-11k seems about the norm for the original chain. You may want to take a look at the front sprocket, see what sort of condition that is in.  Don't go for the Honda chain if you get a new one get a DID VX2 at least and some JT sprockets.

• Like 2

roddy

Having mine replaced end of the month I have gone for a Honda front and rear sprocket and chain. I got 15,000 miles out of the last ones. Shiggsy any reason why you didn't go for the Honda chain?

roddy

£220 supplied and fitted.

• Like 1

PoppetM

Had my chain and sprockets done yesterday at Honda. 9,500 miles. I was warned about 800 miles ago it needed doing urgently at the service. It was in a bad way to be fair. 

Looks like rear sprocket was changed too. 

Same price as Roddy. They did it while fitting a new front tyre too :)  Dropped it off at 8am and by 11 she was ready to be collected so I went and got her in my lunch hour. 

Edited by PoppetM
  • Like 2

GerJ

@PoppetM That was the original, first chain you had replaced, I suppose? Do you use any kind of chain oiler (Scottoiler, Loobman, or such)? Just so that I know what my wife may reasonably expect form the chain on her NC.

PoppetM
44 minutes ago, GerJ said:

@PoppetM That was the original, first chain you had replaced, I suppose? Do you use any kind of chain oiler (Scottoiler, Loobman, or such)? Just so that I know what my wife may reasonably expect form the chain on her NC.

It was. Nope, although I have been looking at the Loobman or the T one that someone else mentioned on another thread, I just don't like the look of the pipes and would have to find a way to install it without looking ugly. 

Mine was perhaps lack of oiling. So now the spray is put by the door and it's done every Friday evening when I get in (I do circa 250 miles a week)

• Like 2

GerJ

My wife has the Osco installed and it seems to work, though at 8,000 kms (5,000 miles) it is early days.

DMB
2 hours ago, roddy said:

£220 supplied and fitted.

I feel your pain.  My shaft-driven Deauville has 55,000 miles on the clock.  Apart from a small amount of oil, grease and labour, it hasn't cost anything and I expect the shaft drive to out-live the bike.  OK, a shaft is slightly less efficient in terms of mpg than a chain, but it's a small price to pay.

One wonders what, if any, difference a fully-enclosed chain might make to chain and sprocket life.

• Like 1

Rocker66

That is the main reason I changed back to a Deauville from my NC as my commuter bike.We give the chains a dquick spray after every ride whilst the train is warm. Once a week they get done properly.

embee
1 hour ago, DMB said:

One wonders what, if any, difference a fully-enclosed chain might make to chain and sprocket life.

I'll let you know. This is the chain enclosure on my Integra, and it has a PD Oiler with an arrangement for a feed into the centre of the gearbox sprocket which them centrifuges out through small slots to the chain. This sprocket has done 20k miles, OE Honda item and DID VX2 chain fitted at about 5k mls because I didn't like the feel of the std chain (vibey).

I can't really say how often the chain needs adjusting, not often, I tend to have the wheel out for various reasons on far too regular occasions (me fiddling again :lol: ).

IMG_3962 resize.jpg

IMG_3961 resize.jpg

IMG_3964 resize.jpg

• Like 2

davelondon

Interesting thread, how does a novice to chains know when its time to replace or do I need to rely on a honest garage lol?

Also will honda fit honda oe sprokets and DID VX2 chain (do they make one)?

Or any other set-up recommended, its my daily commuter

My NC DCT has know done 13,000K on original chain so im getting a bit worried

Edited by davelondon
  • Like 1

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, davelondon said:

Interesting thread, how does a novice to chains know when its time to replace or do I need to rely on a honest garage lol?

Also will honda fit honda oe sprokets and DID VX2 chain (do they make one)?

Or any other set-up recommended, its my daily commuter

My NC DCT has know done 13,000K on original chain so im getting a bit worried

When you say Honda I assume you mean your Honda dealer in which case they should fit whichever chain you specify 

Mikdent
14 minutes ago, davelondon said:

I've always used this method  vvvvvv

Pull the chain away from the rear of the rear sprocket, it should be tight.

I'm sure someone more learned than myself will either confirm or poo poo it. 

• Like 1

Rick

Do Honda fit a rubbish chain to the NC then? All of my recent bikes have done well over 20,000 mile on the original chains, ( I always fit a Scottoiler ) the comment above about front sprocket wear is a good point, I replace the front at every service which may help with chain life? The last bike which  had a short lived chain on was a Y reg Triumph Sprint RS 8,000 miles and nackered! . When split the rollers seemed to have no lube  inside. My last Triumph, a Tiger 800 has 24000 miles and the chain is still fine.

shiggsy
6 hours ago, roddy said:

Having mine replaced end of the month I have gone for a Honda front and rear sprocket and chain. I got 15,000 miles out of the last ones. Shiggsy any reason why you didn't go for the Honda chain?

My first set of chain and sprockets lasted 10-11k and they were toast, the front sprocket was badly worn. I replaced them with a DID VX2 chain and JT rear sprocket at £128, I had to have a Honda front sprocket at £40 because I couldn't get a front JT one then, so £168 all in (fitted myself).  After 10k miles I checked the front sprocket and it looked fine, which should tell you enough about the difference in quality of the chain.  When I had to replace them again they had covered twice the mileage. So if not cheaper then comparable cost they had covered twice the mileage. 

I have replaced the second set with a higher spec chain, DID ZVMX and JT sprockets front and rear for £152.  So again if not cheaper than Honda then comparable in price but I expect to more than double the mileage again at least than the oem. Seems, like a no brainer to me.

• Like 1

embee
1 hour ago, Rick said:

Do Honda fit a rubbish chain to the NC then?......

There was a bit of a saga to the early NC700 chains. They fitted 3 different types, 2 with the DID brand and one other (I forget which). The DID which was not stamped "Japan" was recalled due to a couple breaking. I never liked the feel of the OE DID Japan chain on mine, it was very stiff and at certain speeds you felt a definite grainy vibration through the bike, which disappeared after fitting the VX2 version.

The OE chains were the basic entry level of O-ring chain, not rubbish but basic. The more upgraded variants are much nicer in operation in my experience, the X-rings generally have lower friction levels so flex more smoothly, and the plates and pins are all more robust (even in the same 520 spec sizing).

• Like 1

Rocker66
1 hour ago, Mikdent said:

I've always used this method  vvvvvv

Pull the chain away from the rear of the rear sprocket, it should be tight.

I'm sure someone more learned than myself will either confirm or poo poo it. 

That's always worked for me

• Like 1

CFB

The other test is to push, pull the chain from side to side.

A new chain will move a minimal amount.

A shagged chain will move lots.

• Like 2

kayz1

I remember as a lad,:oldfart: Ford used to say to check the cam chain hold it in the hand doubled and on it's side and check the drupe :o

Don't remember the figure now but it was not a lot 3/32nds i think  over the length of the chain..

I have just changed chain and sprockets on a mates trail bike, i held the chain like above the two ends

about 330mm in. the end dropped at least 30mm....Knackered i think.

Lyn.

• Like 1

PoppetM
57 minutes ago, CFB said:

The other test is to push, pull the chain from side to side.

A new chain will move a minimal amount.

A shagged chain will move lots.

Or in my case it was that doomed that several links were rigid or completely seized, you could see it as it moved round. oops. Lesson learned. The hard way.. 

Kooglesac

I think I will be needing a new chain soon. So which one do I go for. Endless or other? I do intend fitting myself.